“Bed Bugs”

Holiday Sands North
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I visited this past week and both my father and husband broke out all over their arms, backs and shoulders with what appears to be bed bug bites. I also saw roaches during my stay, babies so I am sure there are big ones somewhere too. The maid staff were very friendly though. I just feel like the rooms are not up to standard. The refridgerator and microwave were both broken in my mom's room. Pay a few extra bucks and find a better stay especially for extended vacations.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank seekingperfection3
There are newer reviews for Holiday Sands North

Reviewed 6 August 2011

I booked us here for 5 days and must admit I was a little worried about staying here, because of the reviews.
I worried for no reason. It was just fine. Not a 5 star hotel, but then I wasn't paying for a 5 star hotel.
The people at the desk when we checked in were very pleasant and I just loved Ronda our housekeeper.
The location on the boardwalk was great. We did a lot of walking!!! They had music one night, children's activities one day and firewoorks at the 2nd Avenut Pier that were gorgeous. NO BEDBUGS in our room. The view of the ocean was unbelievable!!! So, if you are looking for a reasonably priced room(that is not 5 star), take a look at Holiday Sands North.We did not eat at the restaurant so have no idea what it was like.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ATLBRVS47
Reviewed 31 July 2011

It was our first time visiting Mrytle Beach and we selected Holiday Sands North based on the location and the fact that it was a smaller, family type hotel. I read a lot of mixed reviews but decided to book it because the staff were always friendly and polite whenever I called to ask various questions about the hotel services, the location and even the weather not to mention how well priced it is! We had a great time! We requested a high floor, ocean-view in the south tower and were given a suite on the ninth floor with an amazing view. The hotel was clean, and service was good and helpful. The kitchen was small but came well equipped with all the essential items. The pools were clean and there were always clean pool towels available. The location was perfect, within walking distance to Family Kingdom and to the Boardwalk, shops and other attractions. Parking is across the street but was never an issue since they have four large lots. Overall it was a nice place at a great price! We will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: A room overlooking the ocean and 2nd Ave Pier is highly recommended. Put in your request for a high...
3  Thank Mommy2CamandOli
Reviewed 27 July 2011

we were there in july. this place is exceptional and will bend over backward to make your stay comfortable,it is in a great location for food fun and everything. theres not much more about it i can say except try it next time. you wont regret it

Room Tip: we always get the 4th to 5th floor and the viewa are great
3  Thank seafairy2
Reviewed 14 July 2011

we stayed four nights. The hallways and general areas in the hotel
were dirty. The rooms were outdated, the beds were hard as a rock,
the carpets were dirty. Your feet were dirty just walking from the bathroom
to the bed. We had to ask for shampoo. The boardwalk was almost a
mile away. the service wasd very nice and if you had a question they answered it with a good answer. The outside pool was big and nice and clean considering it was outside, but there were so many people you couldnt move, the inside pool was cold and dirty the lazy river was nice crowded but nice the kiddie pool was nice to. the views were very beautiful. The caf'e food was "OK" kinda cold but ok same food always. Nice people there but wouldnt waste money id rather eat mcdonalds. lets put it that way.

1  Thank meghan53
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I came to Myrtle Beach in Feb of 2011 to look for a place to stay with our two kids for the week of the 4th. We walked into holiday sands and the staff gave us keys and let us check out 3 different room types. We knew we wanted to be oceanfront and so we settled on room 801. The room upon arriving was clean and check in went smoothly. I did complain that our mattress was hard but it wasnt unbearable. There were no bedbugs! My children are 8 and 2 and it was nice to not have to drive to go "downtown". We walked almost everywhere we wanted to go. The location couldnt get any better! The fireworks were great from our balcony view and my 2 yr old who is scared of loud booms stayed in the room and watched from the window. The cleaning lady was friendly but you could tell she wanted to go home. She asked everyday if we wanted her to clean but she came in about 830. previous places i have stayed waited until about 11 so that tenants would be on the beach. That makes more sense. All and all we had a terrific stay. And I agree..... DO NOT EAT AT THE LAZY CAFE!!!!! overpriced.... bacon was empty, biscuts were doughy(not cooked) sausage was hard. the best thing about it was the doughnuts and tea.

2  Thank amanda8504
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Most of the previous reviews were spot on, except we were fortunate that we didn't have bugs of any type in our room. Hotel is old and extremely outdated, but met our needs as we weren't looking to spend huge amounts of money for a hotel room. Management seemed nice, no issues there, housekeeping staff was friendly but didn't clean our room the entire time we were there!! Came in with clean towels every morning, that was the extent.

My daughter said the pool was filthy, but then, I supposed it would be when morons laying on the beach don't have brains enough to use the shower provided to rinse sand off, instead use the pool as their own private bathtub!!

Our room overlooked the pool facing Ocean Blvd...huge mistake! Hecklers everywhere, screaming/yelling at people walking or driving by all hours of the day and night.

Parking is inconvenient, there are numerous designated lots for HSN guests, but I watched anyone with a car use the lots and walk to surrounding hotels, even the handicap spaces in front of HSN were used by people who were clearly not handicapped!!!

If you're not looking for luxury but a very cheap place to stay, HSN is it. Oceanview rooms might be the best bet.

In the end, my preference is North Myrtle Beach (Crescent Beach area), less traffic, quiet, beaches are cleaner, very nice condo complexes on Ocean Blvd.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family