“Do not stay at this hotel or eat in their restaurant Casa Blanca!”

Holiday Sands North
Ranked #77 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Anderson, SC
“Do not stay at this hotel or eat in their restaurant Casa Blanca!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2009

My family and I just stayed the 4th of July weekend at Holiday Sands North (July 2 - July 5, 2009). I have been coming to Myrtle Beach for vacation once a year for my entire life and have never had a worse experience. The hotel including the pools and jacuzzis were filthy and in need of repair. After arriving we had to request a different room because the carpet in the first room was so stained and disgusting, I was afraid to let my 6-year-old walk on it. The bathroom was also dirty with some type of residue/dirt piled in the corners of the room. The blankets on the beds had stains and cigarette burns on them. The staff at the front desk acted as if I were crazy because I wasn't happy with the room and acted annoyed that I wanted to change rooms. The entire staff was rude and condescending and made us feel like they were doing us a favor by waiting on us. The only reason we stayed for the entire weekend at this hotel was because we could not find another hotel with a vacancy because of the holiday weekend. We spent the majority of our first day driving around Mrytle Beach trying to find another hotel. On our last day of vacation, we made the horrible decision to eat at Holiday Sands North's restaurant, Casa Blanca. The food made my family and I so sick with vomiting and diarrhea, we are still recovering from it. Not only was the food on the buffet stale and obviously old, the staff there was extremely rude. During my stay, I witnessed several other guests being treated rudely and spoken to as if they were children. I have filed formal complaints with the Better Business Bureau as well as South Carolina's Department of Health and Environmental Control for both Holiday Sands North and their restaurant Casa Blanca.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Gastonia ,North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

The bad~Serious UPDATING is very much needed here.The rooms are not in the best of shape.I was shocked to find out this hotel is only 13 years old.Our room safe did not work, the door to the balcony had to be slammed every time we closed it, and the air conditioner in the room above us leaked leaving a big peeling mess on the ceiling of our room.We had to wait for towels until up in the day because they were not ready when the housekeeper came to clean.Bed was hard and pillows flat.Parking is across the street and sometimes we had to park in a lot where you could not even see the hotel.

The good~Every staff member I encountered was very pleasant, the location is within walking distance of everything,about 4 blocks to the old pavilion area, 7 blocks to Family Kingdom, and close to the 2nd Ave pier..The amenties are also good(one of the main reasons I've stayed here 2 years in a row), Cafe had great food. Price was okay-$640 for 5 nights oceanfront.

south carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

I was very unsatisfatied with the quality and service of holiday sands north. At over 100.00 a night and after changing rooms, these rooms are very outdated... pieces of the ceilling were falling off, the lamps were broken, tv kept going out, beds were hard and uncomfortable and rooms/bathroom were way too small. Also, there is no complimentary breakfast nor was there coffee in the room or lobby. Then, when i finally made my own coffee, the front desk did not have any type of sweetner and the cafe told me they would have to charge me for sugar!! I would not recommend this hotel. I worked at Quality Inn and we always had coffee and some type of breakfast for our guest ...even when we were in the middle of remodeling. I think it is sad that that charge people this rate considering the condition of the rooms. They really should think about remodeling or dropping the price. The only thing positive i have to say is that the houskeepers were extremely nice.

1 Thank stnorris77

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

KentuckyGirl101
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

We stayed at this hotel last year and we loved our stay. The staff was very friendly and made us feel at home. We had a beach view room and decided to stay an extra night it was so nice! The beds were clean and they had great room service. The parking wasnt too far either. It was a great stay and we are definanetly going back!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
ill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2009

This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at , The lazy river was filthy & they had to close the pool , the beds were so uncomforatble they had to bring foam for the top of the mattress we had a handicapped child , the fire alarm went off they told us to wait parking is 3 blocks away just a very poor hotel

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

First of all, all of the staff that I spoke with during my stay were very kind and helpful. This is a older hotel and is in need of a few repairs, but nothing that is dangerous. Mainly just cosmetic problems. My room could have been a little cleaner. Yes, there is sand in the hallways, but it sits on the beach and that's understandable. The DSL internet connection worked fine, but I had to buy my own network cable. They supplied a cable, but the modem was on one side of the room and the desk was on the other and the cable wouldn't reach. I asked at the desk, but wasn't given any help. I bought a long cable at a local store and stretched it across the floor to the laptop. The kitchenette was useful and the beds were comfortable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

Please read this prior to making a reservation. The online pictures are very deceiving. Our room was very outdated and I would not recommend staying here to anyone. The appliances were very old. The eyes on the stove would not stay down and we had to put our cold grocery items in the freezer part of the refrigerator to keep them cold enough. The bathrooms--We wore flip flops in the shower. Our balcony was useless because the air conditioner leaked and ran rusty water on the floor. The back was also off revealing rust and corrosion and blew hot air. So please ask to see the room you are getting before you give them a dime!! Overall--Just nasty!!

1 Thank horriblestay2009