“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...”

Holiday Sands North
Ranked #75 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Our family stayed in the South tower the week July 17-22, 2009. If you are looking for a luxery hotel or resort, keep looking. This isn't it. However, to be fair it is one of the lower priced oceanfront suite style hotels on the strip. It wasn't filthy, but I would definately say it was dated and a little less then maintained (needs pant, new carpet, etc). The walk to the beach was great, my kids enjoyed the pools and other than the very hard bed (trust me on this!) and scratchy linens the room actually wasn't too bad.I believe that becaue of the low cost, it attracts some of the party crowd so be prepared for that and a little lower class of guest in general. The food in the restaurant was decent and cheap and the staff could not have been nicer. Housekeeping did a nice job and the parking wasn't the best, but if you don't mind a little walk it's tolerable.

1  Thank lovetovacationOhio

Reviewed 11 August 2009

Do NOT reserve a hotel room at this location. The rooms don't look anything like they are shown on the website. It is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT. The hotel smells like smoke when you walk in the rooms and on the elevators. The rooms are extremely NASTY. The ceiling have patched up holes in them. The sheets had stains on them. The mattresses were stained on the top and bottom. The carpet was nasty needs to be taken up. This hotel needs to be SHUT DOWN and REMODELED. I will advise everyone that come across this hotel DO NOT STAY HERE..HEALTH HAZARD. My husband and I booked this room for our anniversary and was very upset. We checked out the next morning.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acoopers
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I stayed at this hotel on a trip with my mom. We had stayed here as a family, probably around 10 years ago and it was a decent place. Things have definitely changed. The owner's have let the place run down completely. It's very disappointing. Also be aware this whole hotel is SMOKING, so there is no such thing as a non-smoking room here. I heard several other guests complain about this during our stay. There were both pros and cons to our stay though, so I'll list those below:

Pros: We had a room on the 6th floor, right beside the elevator and across from the washer and dryer. I must say, it wasn't loud like you would expect being in such a central location, so that was a plus. The view from the room was pretty great as well. The air conditioner kept the room nice and cool. There was an in-room safe, which came in very handy. The hotel staff were friendly and pretty helpful. Even though the hotel was smoking, our room itself didn't smell of smoke. There was a DSL connection in our room for the internet, but I couldn't pick up any wireless signals from other hotels or anything. The signal from the pier wasn't strong enough.

Cons: The room was very disappointing. The carpets were dirty, so we wore our shoes the entire time. The stove looked dirty and was rusting. The walls had splattered stains on them, especially near the door. The bathroom door had a hole punched in it. The toilet seat looked horrible and was chipping, along with the shower. The beds were like sleeping on the floor; very uncomfortable. There were no blankets on the beds, and my bed didn't have any type of protective plastic over the mattress. Our balcony door wouldn't lock at all. There was an ash tray in the room, and when on the balcony, all of our neighbors were smoking, so that wasn't the best experience, but at least we could get away from it in our room. People were also smoking in the halls and there was the main ash tray/trash can right outside our door. The pools were facing the road and the lazy river was in the building next door.

The parking didn't make you feel safe at all. One night we were able to park in the lot across the street, diagonal to the building. The rest of the nights, we had to park in Lot 4, which was a street or two over (Flagg St. and 4th Ave.). It's not visible from the hotel and it could be very unsafe to walk back there alone at night. The street behind the lot even had a home invasion that resulted in a stabbing while we were there (Chester Street).

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel. It's in need of a renovation, and even then, I don't know if I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank volsgirl10
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I have stayed at this hotel twice and I am very happy with it. It is located very close to Family Kingdom and what was the Pavilion. The pools under the South tower are great for kids. It is an older hotel, but is very clean with reasonable prices. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Every Wednesday there are fireworks on the 2nd avenue pier, which can be seen very perfectly from the hotel. I will definately stay here again.

1  Thank summertime7379
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I always trusted trip advisor reviews, but this time it let me down. This place is horrible. Don't even get a room in the older building "north". The pictures do not depict what it looks like. It's horrible, smelly, unclean, and the rates are WAY TOO high for what they offer. Trust me on this one, it's just not worth your money. We spent $600 plus for a 5 night stay, and were miserable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2009

This is a great family hotel. The staff are more than willing to get you what you need. The cafe on the 2nd floor is convient for breakfast and lunch without having to interupt your day by the pool or on the beach. Theres plenty for the kids with the pools lazy river and arcade. I enjoy the fitness room and spa.

Reviewed 22 July 2009

My family and I stayed here for 9 days in June. We had a room on the 7th floor of the south tower, and I must say that I did enjoy the trip....but there were a few things that could have been better.
Let me start by saying that our room was clean and the housekeeping staff was very friendly and professional. As far as prices--- I searched online and could find nobody to beat them for a 2 bedroom oceanfront room.

On a more sour note---parking was a nightmare! I did not like the idea of parking my car 2 blocks away in a lot that was not visible from the hotel, not to mention the walk from the car to the hotel late at night in what seemed to be a bad part of the neighborhood. Our room had a big hole in the bathroom door as if someone had punched it-(which did not bother me as long as the office had it documented and I did not have to pay for damage I did not do). The beds were as hard as sleeping on the parking lot itself. The carpet on the balcony was slimy from the sitting water draining frm the A/C unit. I did not like the pools or the lazy river because of the filth and the unsupervised kids with foul mouths. There was also a man (that I called a pedophile and had to file a complaint on) swimming in the lazy river making a pass at my 12 year old daughter. The office staff did nothing about this situation. I would rather there be security at the pool, but if you stay here do not leave your children unattended in the pool area. I was sitting poolside the entire time my kids were there and this still happened to us!
The restaurant is not really expensive, but not really something to write home about either. The quality of the food they served wasnot the greatest!

Overall, it was an "okay" place for the money....but if you are looking for luxury, keep driving past this place!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family