Holiday Sands South
Best Western Plus Grand Strand Inn & Suites(Myrtle Beach)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$227
US$181
US$236
US$105
Dayton House Resort(Myrtle Beach)(Great Value!)
US$110
US$202
Island Vista(Myrtle Beach)
US$496
US$462
All reviewscondo buildingacross the streetocean frontocean view cafelazy riverparking garagehot tuboutdoor poolwall bedfull kitchenolder hotelwasher dryernice balconyocean blvdcleaning stafffamily vacationcalled the front desk
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed at the "hotel" building (not the condo building) for 11 nights on this trip at the start of low season (mid-October/13). Since this was our second vacation and we blew the budget on our first vacation to Ontario, Canada in August, we decided to look for a hotel room with that "70's look" since we knew we could save 30 - 50% on the rate and still have the waterfront balcony. Also, since my wife is a smoker and would rather not constantly have to go up and down the elevator for a cigarette, that reduced our options significantly since many hotels are now going "smoke free". We were hoping for a balcony as high up as possible but one was not available on the first day we checked. However they quickly accommodated us the next morning without a problem. We were surprised at how large the rooms were when we arrived, larger than another hotel we stayed in previously, the Crown Reef. We asked for the room with 2 queens, expecting 2 queens in one room next to a living area and a kitchen. However, these rooms have two separate rooms divided by the kitchen and bathroom in the middle. The kitchen also had pull-out dividers on either side, allowing for two private rooms (for possibly two couples) so we stored all of our luggage and purchases in the first room and slept in the oceanfront bedroom with the living room. Both bedrooms had a large flat screen TV on the wall. Again, the kitchen had that 70's look that we were expecting but updated decor was not on our list of priorities for this trip. The bathroom had a tall jet tub/ shower combo and was very adequate in size. The first bedroom also had a sink/ mirror combo which was very useful when someone is taking a shower. The second bedroom/ living room area had a kitchen table and another round table in the living area and a computer desk where we set up our laptop so you really felt like you were in a larger living area. The wireless internet is great if you want to stay connected while away. We also liked the deck, which was carpeted and had two chairs, covered deck and walls on both sides for privacy and the view was great.

We also have to say that the staff, including maids and front desk staff were very friendly, always saying hello and always seemed to be in a great mood. I believe that this is reflective of management and how they treat their staff. Every day, even though we had the "do not disturb" sign up, the maid would call us and ask us if we wanted our room cleaned. I cannot in good conscience give this hotel less than a perfect 5 rating given the great service of the staff and the quality of the room. This rating is based on the price we paid for the room and the amazing service we received. This rating is not based on a comparison of what we would have received if we stayed at the Hilton or Marriott and we know we would have had to pay a lot more for that type of room. If you are looking for a room in great condition and decor is not a priority, you will save a lot of money here and enjoy great service from the staff. The location is perfect - right on the beach, close to shopping/ grocery, attractions, yet it seems very private and safe. We spoke to other guests at the pool who stay there regularly for a month at a time and their impression was the same as ours. We have to thank Holiday Sands for a great stay and we'll definitely return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: We liked 816 but any rooms on the southside give you a slightly better view. Also, 816 was furthest from the elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jeff462
Reviewed 27 October 2013

My mom, grandmother and aunt had stayed at the HSS when they had their grand opening for the condo building. This absolutely ruined us.... we are forever comparing every room or motel to this stay. You know the room that nothing else ever is quite as nice. The condo was brand new and we had the two bedroom. It was this 1st time I had stayed in something that nice or a condo like that. After this, my aunt returned and so did I. Yes, we stayed in the condo building. But the vacations or stays that we went on were usually during the off season, so naturally the rates were cheaper.

So, this vacation during September, 2013 with my parents, the rates were absolutely unreal. So were decided to go with the motel instead of the condo and we stayed for 7 days. Yes, we were disappointed but like I already said nothing compares to a brand new condo. It was little things like... we were supposed to have a jetted tub, didn't get it. The bath tub knobs needed taken off and soaked in Clorox to get the mold and skin grime out of them. We were told that the carpet was new. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!! The room was supposed to have been completely renovated but it was not and to confirm this statement just listen to this...... We had problems with our telephones in the room and when we decided that we wanted to stay 2 extra days (was only supposed to have stayed 5) we found out that we had to change rooms. So the next to the last day, management decided to have the phones looked at, you know new people were coming in. Anyway, I can even remember the maintenance man's name "Anthony", came in to work on this problem, but was unable to resolve it. So, no phones for that night and the next day when we were changing rooms, Anthony and a guy from the telephone company was there while I was getting things together. The beds were not made, maid had not showed up yet, Anthony looks @ one of the comforters on the bed and picks it up and then wads it up and says, "That bedspread should not even be on the bed, that one should have been thrown away". I looked straight at him and said, " Yeah why don't you go ahead and upgrade the room when we're checking out of it". The day before when he was working alone he was so bent on telling me that during the off season they repaint, replace carpet, put new bedspreads on yada, yada, yada..... But didn't realize that his comments were so transparent. BUT OVERALL FOR THE MONEY........DON'T WE GET WHAT WE PAY FOR.....I ALREADY KNEW THIS STAY WASN'T GOING TO BE IN AN UPDATED ROOM THE MOTEL HAD BEEN THERE FOR OVER 30 YEARS!

AT ANY RATE, NO MATTER THE STATE OF THE FAUCETS, BEDSPREADS, FLOORS, ETC. I AM 38 YRS OLD AND HADN'T BEEN ON VACATION WITH MY PARENTS, BY MYSELF IN ABOUT 20 YEARS, SO THERE IS NO AMOUNT OF MONEY OR UPGRADES THAT IS EQUIVALENT TO THE TIME THAT I SPENT WITH THEM.........WE CALL THESE MOMENTS IN TIME PRICELESS.

If you want to make sure that you are getting what you are being told that you are getting, you are gonna have to find a way to see it before you rent it. LET'S ALL GET REAL THEY'RE (NO MATTER WHICH/WHAT BUSINESS IT IS) HAS TO SELL YOU A PITCH TO REEL YOU IN. WE JUST DON'T LIKE TO BE THE ONE THAT THEY LOOK AT AND SAY "I JUST WANTED TO SEE HOW FAR I COULD PULL A SUCKER ON A STRING".

Room Tip: Go with oceanfront, no matter what your other options are and the sunrise is absolutely something that words can not describe. "Placed there by God's own hand" Also, try to schedule during a full moon. Moonlight on the water, "GEORGOUS"
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed in the hotel part of this business not the condominiums .Our room was great.It had 2 beds and a couch pullout bed.My only complaint with the beds is that the squeak I think maybe they have waterproof pads or something on them but every time you moved you would wake everyone up in the room because of the noise they make!Anyhow the room was clean,had a kitchen,and the bathrooms were clean also.Another thing I did not like was that the kiddie pool under the parking deck was not heated like I was told it would be.None of the kiddie area under the hotel was heated either.I was also told that this was heated.It was not.My youngest didn't get to play as much in the water because of this.If you stay at this hotel also prepare to park across the 4 lane street.It only has maybe 8 spaces in the front of the hotel which were always taken seemingly by the same cars.I don't know if it was the workers or what but I did notice this.overall this is a good clean hotel and it will be at the top of my list to think about when I return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

On arrival I discovered the in room safe was locked and had no power.. I reported this to the front desk and they said that they would get it fixed. They never did. I was really annoyed on Wednesday when the Harley Rally people started to arrive, which I was unaware of at booking and at check-in. Then they closed off the parking lot and we had to park in the lot across the street. I do not agree that the entire main lot be closed off for people that are arriving as opposed to people already there. Not only was the main lot "Bikes Only" but the vehicles and trailers were parked at the other lot and blocking it up too! And of course you always get the bad ones revving engines, racing, and even 2 riding down the beach!!!! Very annoying & noisy vacation!

Room Tip: Ask if there are any unlisted events happening before booking
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed here late August for 8 nights and enjoyed the property. The evening desk clerk was an exceptionaly great guy, and the breakfast at the restaurant was grand; get one of the omelets. The beach front was awesome, and the pools were great. There were a few downsides however that were an annoying. First and foremost, the fact that housekeeping did not change our sheets. The first night we got there, we checked the sheets for cleanliness, and saw a dot on the corner of the top sheet.For seven nights they were never changed at all. The only reason they were changed the last night was because housekeeping thought we had checked out, but we decided to book one extra night. After all day in the hot, sweaty air of late August, clean sheets should be a priority. Secondly, I Have asthma. The people next door cooked something on a hot plate or something and it filled the entire corridors. Our room was smoky, and I could not breathe.All they did was give us clear tape to cover the edges of the doors. We had to sit on the balcony for over two hours waiting for it to clear out. But good still outweighed the bad.

Room Tip: Check sheets every night.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple