“MB in September” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Salem, Virginia
“MB in September”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2008

Just returned from 5 nights in MB--a "just the two of us" trip after 25+ years of having kids along for every beach venture. (They would have loved to have joined us, but are both in college.) It had been 15+ years since we had ventured to MB proper, having spent the majority of our Grand Strand time in Cherry Grove when the kids were small, then moving North to Ocean Isle for the last few years.
There has obviously been much demolition and renovation going on in South MB since we were last there, and the Holiday Sands at South Beach is one of those new properties, having opened in 2007.
The hotel/condo is very clean and well kept, and the elevators are quiet, plentiful (4) and fast. There is a small outdoor pool and a small indoor pool, lazy river and large hot tub. The pools are well maintained, but the first time I tried the hot tub, the odor of chlorine was so bad that I had to get out after only a few minutes. Later in the week, I was able to enjoy it without the suffocating chlorine mist. There is a lovely outdoor grass covered lawn, with the most comfortable chairs I have ever seen at a hotel! Being September, we had no trouble accessing a chair any time we wanted one, but during the summers, this could be problematic.

We had a 12th floor ocean view 1 bedroom suite, and it was a spacious, angled suite with a small triangular-shaped balcony and a view of the ocean, as promised. The living area was small, but adequate for the two of us, with a TV, love seat and coffee table, but only one small table lamp--not nearly enough light--but I moved a floor lamp from the bedroom (where there were also 2 wall mounted lamps) to the living room, and this worked nicely. There was also wireless Internet available. A wall bed doubled as the dining room table, but we did not venture to transform table to bed.

The kitchen was small, but with full-size name brand appliances. I was disappointed, however, at the paucity of kitchen 'equipment' available. There was a coffee maker and toaster, but no blender! There were 6 dinner plates, 4 small plates, 6 juice glasses, 4 large glasses, 4 cups, and silverware for 6. A small, very cheap set of pots and pans, but no baking sheet or pizza pan. A glass casserole dish and one small bowl completed the kitchenware. I suppose I am spoiled by the kitchens in the condos and houses we have stayed at in Cherry Grove and Ocean Isle, but a blender and cookie sheet are pretty basic, in my opinion.

The bedroom was large, with its own TV, small dresser and 1 nightstand. I used a suitcase as a nightstand on my side of the bed. We had a king size bed, and one side chair. The bed was adequate, but was uncomfortable by the second night, and the sheets continuously slipped off at the corners--very frustrating. The mattress was fairly thin, and combined with a mattress pad that was not a fitted one, this contributed to the sheets pulling off.

Bathroom was a tub/shower, sink with large counter, and an exhaust fan that worked very well. An additional sink was outside the bathroom, and this was a very nice feature.

Carpet in the living and bedroom, ceramic tile in bath, hallway and kitchen area. All very clean.

When we checked in, we asked about maid service, and were told "there is no maid service, but if you call, they will empty your trash and exchange your linens, but you have to make your own bed if you want clean sheets." Since we were only staying 5 nights, we didn't feel a change of sheets was necessary, and took the clerk's information at face value. However, the next morning, while on the beach, someone did come in and take all our used towels and replace them with clean ones and emptied the trash cans, and this was repeated daily.

Additionally, they vacuumed and made the bed mid-week. We always saw the maid's cart, but never saw or heard anyone, but obviously they were there. And they were much appreciated--we left a tip in the envelope that was conveniently provided.

The hotel was less than half full, but we never heard any noise during the evening. There is a 6 level parking garage, which was well-lit and required a key card to enter. A small restaurant was next door at the sister hotel (Holiday Sands South), with a breakfast buffet advertised at $5.95 (not including beverage), but we never tried it. We were also told we could access the sister hotel's facilities, but again, we did not. There was a small, but nice exercise room, and we promised ourselves we would use the equipment, but somehow we never made it there.

We secured a $49 per night rate from the hotel as an advertised "fall special" (thanks to a tip on TripAdvisor.com), and felt that this was an excellent value for these accommodations.

Overall, a very nice condo with hotel features. Better bedding and more items in the kitchen would have caused me to rate this as 'excellent'. I feel I can recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Liked — cleanliness and price
  • Disliked — bedding
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank virginian4vegas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Florence, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2008

Me and my children stayed there from June 13 to June 15 and from the first night I had issues with their security guard. We were at the indoor pool and my daughter had to go back to our room to get her own towel and she dropped the room key on her way back up. Before she could pick the the card, the security guard came and snatched it off the floor and told her to identify herself. She gave the guard her nickname and I wrote her first name on the registry and the front office or the security guard would not give it back to her. She had to come get me to advise them this was my child and if they notices she gave them our correct last name. Common sense should have been taking into consideration! Another issue was when me and my best friend whose family was staying there the full week , was on the balcony one night the same security guard yelled to us on the 4th floor saying we was being loud and we was barely above a whisper. He was the one yelling, but never said one word when a group of teenagers was standing around in the front parking lot. The hotel needs to teach their security guards to be aware of the people actually not abiding by their rules and stop harrassing the people who paid to enjoy their weekend.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 3Gplus1
Holiday-Sands-South, General Manager at Holiday Sands South, responded to this review, 23 September 2008
After reading the review from Pkc789, I was shocked to receive a rating from someone who has never stayed at our resort. When any reservation is made, we follow up with a mailed conformation to ensure accuracy. The confirmation letter also states that refunds will be processed when a written cancellation via mail or fax is received. This policy is in place to ensure all parties involved are protected. If Pkc789 has not received a refund, please feel free to call back and I will personally resolve this matter.

Respectfully Yours,
John Lucas
800-448-4439
Clayton, NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2008

The desk staff at Holiday Sands South was very pleasant until I needed to cancel my reservation. They were then very rude and told me they would not give a refund until I requested in writing. I cancelled before the stated deadline and still had to write a letter. I am still waiting for the refund.

Stayed September 2008
1 Thank pkc789
At the time of check-in, each guest must fill out a registration card listing the name of each guest allowed in the room. For your security, our front desk staff is trained to verify identity when giving room keys out to guests. Anyone can appreciate the comfort of knowing that only authorized guests will be given a key to their room.

Additionally, if our hotel staff has a complaint of noise, we investigate and ask the persons involved to quite down. Our night security guard has been with this company for over 25 years and does an outstanding job. Of course, we always look for ways to improve our service to our guests.

Respectfully Yours,
John Lucas
800-448-4439
Brighton, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2008

Stayed at the Hotel from August 22nd to the 29th. Room very clean, desk personell very helpful. This is not a luxury hotel and is pretty old, but for the price you can't beat what you get. I especially liked the shower, very forceful and invigurating. I saved a lot of money that I could spend elsewhere. If you don't plan on living in the hotel room and only sleep there you can't beat what you get for the price. Will stay here again and recommend highly.

• Liked — The shower
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank mlbhogan
georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2008

My fiance and I loved the service and room.We was on the 8th floor and the veiw was very nice.This was our first time visiting Myrtle Beach and will definetly come back and stay at Sands South again. mom3568 Georgia

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Charlotte,North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

I love this hotel absolutely new built in summer of 2007 i have stayed at this hotel 2 diffrent times and both were great. i found because one of my friends suggested that i can find a hotel by just goin to the beach and finding one i spent two hours looking and finally found this one. awesome hotel

• Liked — good location brand new
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

Well you never know what you will get. After reading the reviews on various sites, I thought this hotel should be alright. But a few recent reviews made me wonder. All my doubts where completely unfounded. My family of 4's room was great. We stayed in the condo units and had an ocean front balcony. Everything was clean, and well decorated. One thing we noticed was how quiet the room was, rarely did we hear a thing outside of our room.
It was also nice having the parking garage attached so we could go right from the car to the room. The elevators where quick and clean. And the one time I needed maintenance they responded within minutes. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We will stay here again.

• Liked — The Room
  • Disliked — shower water pressure
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family