“Best Place In Myrtle Beach”

Holiday Sands South
Ranked #92 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My husband and I grew up going to Myrtle Beach during vacations with our families, so when we got married and started our own family, we decided that Myrtle Beach was where we wanted to go. As a couple, we've stayed at another place just down the street from Holiday Sands at South Beach, but when I found them on the web, I knew this was the place we wanted to stay! It is above and beyond the best place at the beach! The condos are simply above any other place that I have ever stayed at the beach. They were clean and spacious. We stayed 7 nights in an ocean front condo and it was perfect for the two of us and our daughter.

We cooked just about every meal in the room. We had plenty of utensils and other kitchen items. However, having stayed at other condos, I knew to bring my own dish soap, laundry detergent, coffee & filters, storage bags & containers, bath items, etc. We brought a $1.00 bottle of laundry deterent at the Dollar Tree and used it every day and still had some left over to bring home. The housekeeping staff came in about every other day and picked up the towels and made the beds, etc. But, if I wanted clean towels, I washed them. Not rocket science people. We love the full kitchen as with a small child, we like to cook for her and not pay full price for her when we eat out somewhere.

The pools were awesome and we love the lazy river. I think it's perfect being covered as it makes it nicer to just relax and not have to worry about the heat of the sun. The lawn with chairs and beach are just a few steps away, so if we wanted to sit in the sun, we went to the beach or used the outdoor pool. There were always plenty of spare towels but we usually bring our own.

The location is perfect as it's close to some grocery stores and the Springmaid Pier. We've stayed at Springmaid before but for the price, I'd rather say at the condo. We paid about $65/a nite in Sept and they even gave us one night free. So, that's saying something for the beach.

My husband and I have agreed that we would stay here as long as we were coming to the beach. We would have stayed here last year, but we went on a cruise instead. So, this year, we have already booked our Sept. trip and got a 25% discount for 7 days! That's incredible.

If you are looking for a great place, that's affordable, this place it is! WE LOVE IT!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 March 2009

Our trip originally started at the Caribbean Resort, but after a horrible check-in and nasty room, we switched our stay to Holiday Sands South Beach! We ended up getting a bigger room than the Caribbean offered. We booked a 1BR/1BA ocean view condo on the 8th floor. The room was very clean, well decorated, and had a full kitchen, huge bedroom and bathroom and a nice size balcony. The living room was very small and cramped, but not a total loss. The hotel offers onsite parking (parking garage), indoor and outdoor pools, lazy river and hot-tub. The location was the best part of this hotel due to the fact that it is downtown on the strip, but located down south away from all the noise and action. We are actually coming back here in March for our spring vacation. The staff were friendly and helpful and they also have a Cafe next door so you can order from in your room or walk up from the beach or pool and order lunch!

Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank LovinMyrtleBeach
Reviewed 8 February 2009

My wife,inlaws,and son&daughter stayed in sept 08 we had not stayed there before we did not know what we have been missing.We have been coming to myrtle beach for about 6yrs.we stayed in the condo very nice for a larger family.the check in was a snap the room was very clean you can use either the hotel next door or the condo both have good water attractisons such as indoor outdoor pools lazy river hot tub kitty pools the most best part was the parking garage we had 2 kids the youngest being 5 months old so we parked on our floor in the parking garage and walked right in to our room no elevators no hot car and no crossing thr street like we used to do.we loved it so much we have since made reservations for our 09 vacation this will be our destination form now on

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Gimpy1977
Reviewed 11 December 2008

After reading the most recent reviews, I felt I simply had to give a different opinion of Holiday Sands at South Beach. I have stayed at this wonderful place three times and will be going back the day after Christmas for yet another week! I stayed at Holiday Sands South (Hotel) for years until this building was built. It is a wonderul place to spend a relaxing vacation. I have never encountered any problems with the facilities nor with the employees. On the contrary, the employees have always been very nice and tend to go out of their way to make my stay pleasant.
Granted, they do not always have a pizza pan like I have at home... but I would venture to say that if you had asked nicely for a pizza pan, they would get one for you... that has always been my experience.
The maids are always very helpful and seem to take care of my room whenever I am away. They do a fabulous job... this is a condo, not a hotel.
The condos are always clean... and are non-smoking! What a relief. For $69 a night I was able to get an oceanfront suite... and that price cannot be topped anywhere on the Grand Strand! Relax... come to Holiday Sands at South Beach and let your troubles fade away with to the sound of that ocean just outside.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2008

Wonderful view from our 6th floor balcony. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room could use a little update, but it worked well for us. For the price in October (50.00) you could not beat it. It was a little distance from places to eat but we had our car so it did not bother us. If you are looking for a Quiet ,clean place this was great.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OhioFifo
Reviewed 10 October 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Sands South Sept. 17 - 29th 2008. We have stayed here many times before. This year we thought we would give the new "condo's" at Holiday Sands South Beach a try. After our smooth check in we realized that the layout of the condo was not suitable for us. We asked at the desk the next morning if we could transfer over to the hotel into the same type of room we had stayed in on prior holidays. We were accomodated with no problem at all.

Our entire stay was a pleasure. We had a minor problem with a remote control for the television. We called the front desk and they said someone would come have a look. The gentleman knocked on our door within minutes. He was carrying an insulated bag on his shoulder. I asked him what he had in the bag. He stated that it was his lunch. He fixed us up before his lunch....good service for sure.

We return to this hotel for many reasons. One of the main reasons is the staff. We have always had a good relationship with the staff with many being long term familiar faces.

This hotel is good value in our books and we look forward to returning next fall.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lemondropkid
Reviewed 5 October 2008

II would have to say look elsewhere if you are a family of four looking for a nice place to stay. I thought Holiday Sands South Beach would be wonderful since it was brand new. I was disappointed.
When I booked my reservation, I did so on the hotel website. I booked a one bedroom ocean-view condo which says it can sleep six. I asked to have the best view possible and be on the north side. Not hearing back from the hotel, I assumed they would meet my request. When we arrived on September 26th of this year, we had a room on the 11th floor back away from the ocean and NOT even on the north side as I had requested. I called the desk at the Sands South Beach. An older, very rude woman answered the phone and told me I would have to walk back to the Holiday Sands where I checked in. As I got off the elevator to go next door, the same woman I had just spoken to was out from behind the desk smoking cigarettes in the hallway next to the elevator. This building is CLEARLY marked NO SMOKING. I found it rather disturbing to get off the elevator and have the stench of cigarette smoke in my face.
I then walked to the Holiday Sands to ask why I did not get an decent ocean view or a north room as I requested. I was told they had none. They did not try to upgrade our room at this point either as many hotels would have done.
The fact that the website says this one bedroom condo will sleep six is a joke. The bedroom is large and had 2 queen beds, (albeit, cheap and not very comfortable) so yes, four people could have easily slept here, but there was NO room in the living area for six people. The seating consisted of a love seat that was as hard as a rock and a chair the perfect size for a 10-year-old. There was no room to even walk when myself, my husband and 2 boys were in the living area.
The dining table actually doubles as the Murphy bed, which was very inconvenient. You had to remove all items on the table each time you wanted to pull out the bed. Once the Murphy bed is out, the already tiny living area is made even smaller. There are four chairs at the table, but you can only seat two comfortably, as there is not enough room to have four chairs there at one time.
The air heating/cooling apparatus is located in a closet near the bed and sounds like a hurricane is coming through the hotel each time it turns on. It woke my poor son up several times. The heating and cooling in the room was horrible. My son, who slept in the living area, was freezing while we were burning up in the bedroom. So bring a coat for whoever gets stuck sleeping in the Murphy bed. As far as bedding, there were no blankets on the beds or in the room. I had to ask for those.
The kitchen was lacking in utensils. There was only enough dishes to feed 5 people. There was no cookie sheet/pizza pan, which I found to be odd. Who doesn't have frozen pizza while at a beach condo at least once? Nothing to cook our biscuits on the morning either. There was no dishwashing detergent, or paper towels provided in the kitchen. Most condo hotels have at least a one day supply of these items. The coffee pot had chipped glass at the pour spout. I had to ask for a new coffee pot also.
Now, as for the bathroom, there was no shampoo, not even a miniature. I think even Motel 6 gives a mini, don't they? Cheap tiny bar soaps in foil wrappers with flowers on them was the only amenity in the bathroom, besides the toilet paper. The shower had barely enough pressure to wash an ant down the hole and took forever to drain. You had to stand in dirty water while you showered. It took two minutes to drain after I finished my shower-yes, I timed it.
There was a washer/dryer in the hotel, but no laundry soap provided and it filled with water very slowly.
The lazy river is under a roof, there is not an outdoor lazy river. Why go to the beach if you can't be in some sunshine? The outdoor pool was WAY too small for as many people as this condo hotel could hold. I would never stay here when the crowd is large. The indoor pools all looked dirty-as if there was sand all over the bottom of them, but whatever the stuff was wouldn't move so it couldn't have been sand. I have no clue what this may have been, but the hot tub looked the same and was not very inviting. It also was indoors.
I am not sure if I have left anything out or not, but other than being brand new, I can’t really give this hotel a very high rating. I would seriously look elsewhere if you have more than two in your party. You will not be comfortable if you have children, especially in the miniscule living area. I can’t imagine who designed this place, but they must be out of business now.
Oh yeah, one more thing, no maid service until you have been there three days. They will only take the trash and give you towels. You can vacuum yourself if you would like, but if you want them to do it, there is an extra charge.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family