“Nice for the price”
Review of Hurl Rock Motel

Hurl Rock Motel
Ranked #162 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Had stayed at the Reef across the street but wanted to stay one more night. Went to Hurl rock and booked room. My daughter loved the pool and there were other families there with kids her age.The room was clean. I personally didn't see any bugs. It was just fine for what we needed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at Hurl Rock. I was very pleased with my stay overall. Easy access to the beach, minimart next door, and no issues with parking. The rooms were clean, stayed very cool, and I could even see the ocean from our 4th story pool view room. It was very quiet during the night and all of the staff were friendly and accommodating. I can honestly say that I was not expecting it to be as nice as it was for such a great price. I never saw any bugs which was a major plus! I will be back for sure!

Room Tip: Pool view is best.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin G
Reviewed 10 August 2013

We just got back from our stay at The Hurl Rock,our room was nice on the second story pool view...it was clean no bugs in our room,maids came every morning,always had plenty towels,wash cloths,etc. Pool was always clean,it goes from kiddie area to 8ft deep,shower nearby for rinsing off sand.Grills up on deck near pool area for guest use,everyone was nice & helpful.We had enough dishes in our kitchenette but not too much silverware,so you might wanna get some extra paper plates/plastic utencils.we needed directions to an area attraction,they gave us a printed out copy from the computer,easy parking,nothing fancy,but clean and no bed bugs or roaches,they even have a pest inspector that came around and sprayed the rooms....he actually treats some of the other hotels too.I never seen any insects in our room,felt comfortable,safe,and the beach access across the street is very nice with walk across deck directly to the beach. A icecream man that makes numerous visits to the motel,there is an icecream shop across the street & mini mart next door across the way.The motel balcony is great for hanging bathing suits & beach towels! Also the Pacific Beach wear on S Kings Hwy beside Burger King is great for souveniers they had good prices & coupons in the Monster coupon book which you can get in the Hurl Rock office:)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I've stayed here four times in the last month, my boyfriend is a marine and he comes down every two weeks and we always book in advance. First of all, if your looking for somewhere that offers a military discount this place is ridiculous, they only offer it on the weekdays. Second of all, if you're looking for somewhere that has their stuff together this is certainly not the place. I have gotten nothing but the run around from this place and have had problems every stay. The first time (6/14-6/16) we were booked in a hallway with only one room in it right by the elevator, we heard the elevator all night and other guests being loud all weekend. We woke up to vomit outside of our door that we had to step over. I called to complain and explained we were looking for a hotel to be regular guests at and they offered me a poolside room instead of the hallway for a good deal, so we decided to give it another chance only because the room was clean for the most part. When we arrived to check in (6/28-6/30) I got my keys to find my room in the hallway again they told me they never offered me a poolside room because they don't have any with a kitchen which is what I needed, the man said he felt bad and upgraded me to the suite for about 30 extra dollars. That was the only problem with that stay besides our keys messing up which has happened at other hotels as well. The third time (7/12-7/14) I found myself in a poolside room with guess what? A kitchen! So the man lied to me. The fourth and final time (7/26-7/28) I only booked with them because it was too close to his arrival to look for another place due to them not calling me back. I called to price check and they told me it would be 176 for a poolside room with a kitchen I had to wait to get paid so I asked if the price would change in three days when I call back to book and was told no. When I called to book I was quoted 338! This place is not worth that. I told them I was told the price wouldn't change and they told me they would talk to their manager and call me back when he gets in, they never did. I called the next day and got a different person explained the situation yet again even though the lady told me she wrote everything down on a post it and put it on the desk, she said she would definitely call me back that evening. Never did. I ended up going down there after 2 days of waiting for a call since I am local and the lady at the desk once again knew nothing of the situation and after explaining told me I never should have been quoted 338 for anything and she didn't know what the person who quoted me that was doing and the price would be 203 I also wanted a late check out for 5 o'clock and they told me if I wanted it that I had to book right then so I did since this was now only a week before his arrival. I was told the total was 231 with the late checkout.
We arrived and when I made sure of the late check out they told me it wasn't on there, they added it but they told me at the time of booking I had to book right then or I wouldn't be able to get it which was obviously another lie. This was honestly the worst stay I have ever had. It was a hallway room again which meant the elevator waking us up all hours of the night. The cable didn't work it only had about 7 channels of black and white movies fishing shows or cartoons. The day of check out comes and at about 11:30 am housekeeping just comes barging in without knocking while I was in my towel and asked if we were checking out that day and I said yes at 5 she said she's sorry nobody told her. About 10 minutes pass she knocks saying her supervisor had to speak with me about paying for late check out I told her I already did and she told me they needed me in the office. I was looking for my receipt to bring with me when another housekeeper knocks 5 minutes later asking if I had went down yet. I sent my boyfriend down since I was just out of the shower and when he goes in all they did was bring up the computer to see we had paid in advance and said we were okay, WHY wouldn't they do that first before disturbing my morning 2 other times? Why wouldn't they put it on the housekeeping list so they would know not to barge in? And why didn't they know that I had a late check out at the office?
I will never stay here again and I am so happy to say that. Not to mention getting them to even answer the phone is tough, even the reservation number I was told to hold every time waiting 20 minutes and it just hung up on me. The pool is so loud up until 11 o'clock or later and it's only enjoyable if your a kid because its crowded with them. The last time I stayed every time I would cook the stove would shock me. The wifi doesn't work. If you stay here and plan to cook bring your own pots, theirs are either burnt up or not there. Bring your own forks and spoons too, the one time I didn't bring my own there was only one fork. The hallways of the hotels smell strongly of cat urine. The rooms are clean besides the corners of the room and bathroom but that is about the only good thing about this place. If you're looking for somewhere just to lay your head at night on your vacation and won't be in the room much it probably wouldn't be too bad but anything else ill never stay here again and I don't suggest that you should either.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Cpc8494
Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is my fourth year staying at the Hurl Rock. The main reasons are the price and the family atmosphere. David was the best at making sure everything was perfect. Now, not sure I will come back for a fifth time. Why?

No pet sign on the door, what do we see, a dog in a room!
No loud noise after 10pm, always people yelling very late at night!
Pool close at 11pm, what append, pool party past 11pm!
Stay off the rope, what do we see? a bunch of kids tuging the rope!
Last but not least, bugs in our room! and I mean cockroaches!

The bug thing was settled quick. For the rest, nobody is checking! Nobody cares if the pool is not close, if people are noisy after hours, David use to make sure of those things!

We miss you David! not sure I like the new owners as much.

4 more nights to change my mind, but not sure we'll be back. Very disappointed this year!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steflac
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We stayed here in June. I didn't have high expectations. My wife took the kids there last year and liked it, but it's under new ownership. I didn't have high expectations, but I was still disappointed. Our microwave didn't work, I went to the office twice about it and they did nothing. The wi-fi was down 95% of the time. A large mid-forties woman was treating passers-by to a peep show. The couple later engaged in "relations" right out in public for the world to see. Someone did #2 in the elevator, They cleaned up the mess, but the smell stayed. The authorities were called twice for residents fighting. There was a "medicine man" peddling cannibis, nightly. This place seems to be a magnet for riff-raff. This is the worst place I've ever stayed. It makes Motel 6 look 5 star. Definitely not a place a place for families.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank rsmelto
Reviewed 23 July 2013

we loved it the rooms the pool. everything was very good the ocean is right in front all u have to do is cross the street and the best of all is that it was not expensive at all!!...we are thinking about going back!

• Stayed: July 2013