“Don't let the negative reviews fool you!”
Review of Hurl Rock Motel

Hurl Rock Motel
Ranked #165 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Don't let the negative reviews fool you!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed at Hurl Rock Motel from 8/1/14 - 8/3/14. Before I left for the beach, I found out what place we had booked and decided to come on this website and read the reviews. BIG mistake. The reviews will only scare you out of not coming. I'm really glad I stayed here. The beach is just across the street, the pool is clean, you can sit on the roof and you have a great view of the surrounding areas. The room was clean and neat. I saw no roaches, bugs or mold the whole time I was there. I will say that the carpet and mattress could be replaced and the room and general could use a little spiffing up, but overall, I enjoyed my stay this weekend! We had the A/C set on 60 degrees and the room was still hot throughout our stay. That's probably the biggest complaint I have about this motel. I found it harder to sleep and had to kick the covers off several times. BUT, I went to the beach to be on the beach. You get exactly what you pay for and there is just enough parking. You may search for a little, but you'll get your parking place. This motel is close to restaurants, the beach, other hotels and shopping hot spots. Great stay overall!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Cameron M
Karyn G, Guest Relations Manager at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for staying with us. We are working hard to update all furniture and carpet. I.m glad you enjoyed yourself her and hope you will come back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our experience here was nothing but pleasant. Front desk was amazing! Especially when I locked us out of our room and then later on my keys didn't work. Very helpful. Pool was very nice and the sand was cleaned from the bottom daily. Housekeeping did a great job too( we got our room very sandy) We had no noise issues either. Public beach access was right across the street so it was very convenient. Thank you so much. From Massachusetts :)

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Tnerd91
Thank you for staying with us . Hope you come back soon
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I read every single review before deciding to stay here. Despite all the negative reviews we stayed here anyways, for only a day! Our trip began Sunday and ended Monday morning. We planned staying a total of 5 nights. First we walked in the room and the room was humid and unbelievably hot! Then quickly the smell of pot stuck up our room. Around 10am one of the housekeepers walked by our room and peeked in. (Creepy) which led to us being kicked out! They accused us of smoking in our room, smoking pot, and HAVING inter course with the door open. Considering I'm a younger sibling my sister would never do that in front of me. They banged on our door and yelled that we needed to get out. They proceeded to call the cops when we asked why. They have a right to kick us out but having no warning or anything ruined everything. They refused to refund our 500$ for all 5 nights. They could of deducted the 250$ deposit if we did smoked but taking all 500$ is robbery! Stay far away from these rude people! As for the hotel room,
Nothing to get excited about.
Go elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Abimariexo
Karyn G, Front Office Manager at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
We are trying to run a family friendly hotel. We have Zero tolerance for drugs. It was not housekeeping that reported you to the office. It was another guest who witness the behavior coming from the room and they were upset that their children had seen what was going on. I sent my personal to verify it and they confirm it. This is a non smoking hotel. and we want all our guest to feel safe and have a good experience. you sign a registration card and folio when you checked in that said you would not smoked and would abide the hotel policies. or you could be ask to leave the property and forfeit any remaining balance you had.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for our vacation. Had I read the reviews before hand, I may have considered an alternative to this nasty motel. The bad reviews are on point, I agree with all of them. What's worse, is the RESPONSES from the owners! They are calling their customers liars, telling them they are glad they won't be back, and blaming them for their bad experience! I cannot begin to describe how gross the floors are, how disgusting the kitchen is, the appliances that are shoddy and don't work , the elevator didn't work most of the time and they had a horrible smell. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out that the reviews that are so wonderful weren't planted by the owners. What a disappointment to see not only do they have a really bad place that needs to be condemned, but that they would also respond to their customers the way they did. I'd rather not visit the beach than to stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose it somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank jules06870
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our stay was a nightmare when it had anything to do with this hotel. When we checked in the lady at the desk had our reservations incorrect in their system. We were supposedly a no-show from the prior day luckily I was able to show her the reservations on my phone. When we got to our room, after going down a hallway that smelled like urine to get to the elevator, we noticed that our fridge was not cold. When we tried to call the front desk we noticed that the phone didn't work. We were forced to walk down and tell the office. The following morning we were happy to see the fridge was finally cold. We took our items out of the freezer and tried to use the microwave to thaw our sausage for breakfast. what a surprise it didn't work either. The night before we noticed the tile above the shower head was molded, the knob for the oven was missing and the stopper for the sink did not work. My husband walked down again because the phone still didn't work. The tile was replaced but nothing else was repaired that day. We were awaken by a knock on the door on our 2nd morning by our neighbors telling us out rental van was being towed. Apparently the front desk clerk was so in a rush to leave on our check in day she didn't give us a parking pass. Due to her negligence she then called a tow truck the following morning instead of just checking the paperwork that i filled out to prove the van belonged to a customer. During the tow the driver ripped off the bumper of the van. When we went in the office we were told it wasn't their fault and that we wouldn't be refunded for that day because everything happened at noon. We were told either we could leave or stay. They showed no remorse that our trip was now ruined because we had to return the van and put the bumper inside the vehicle. Eventually they refunded us for our unused days and we had to end out vacation on Thursday instead of Saturday. (we are still waiting on our money). This was supposed to be a fun trip for us and the kids (8 and 6) thank God for the beach and the strip.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Bamfamily
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

The first night we check n we get 2 the room the room hasn't been serviced n awhile n there was no toiletries n the bathroom. Go 2 the office n get it. Second day the pool wasn't open I ask Karen when it wl b opened she couldn't answer when it would b opened but suggested we go across the street 2 the big pool, meaning the ocean. So we went 2 the ocean came back r room hasn't been serviced so when I went 2 ask 4 some clean towels they tell me no bc the maid put she serviced the room. Which wasn't true. Got the clean towels. Third day pool wasn't opened again went 2 the ocean. Later that day towards the evening a man starts 2 tear up the carpets on the stairs 2 lay down new carpet. He left a open can of glue or paint, don't know which 1, right on the stairs near r room. I have a history of migraines n if it gets bad I have 2 go 2 the doctor n get a shot 2 help relieve the migraine. W/that smell from the can set my migraine off n had 2 go n get that relief. The next day,Thursday, I went 2 the office n Karen n Keith listened 2 wht I had 2 say. Keith told me we had 2 wait 4 his dad 2 come back 2 discuss this issue, which his dad is the owner of the hotel. He said he should b back n a couple of hrs. I said ok. I went back 5 hrs later. N Keith said he doesn't care how long it's been he wasn't disrupting his dad 4 this. Keith called the cops n had us removed from the hotel. We still had 1 night left on r stay. W/the officer there escorting us off the property Keith told us he would refund r last night 2 us by check thru the mail. It has been almost a month n we still have not received nothing. Keith also said that we was just trying 2 get a buck from them. But yet they keep a $100 from us. N they put a no trespassing order against my mom n myself. It's so sad 2 b treated this way when my mom n I have been
customers 4 25yrs 4 times a yr.

• Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Jessica J
West Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This place is nothing but pot and alcohol. The police came only once. The rooms are terrible. Some room doors to open all you have to do is push hard enough and they pop open. Also, maids steal from you so be very careful. I had to start hiding my valuables.

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms. Claims there are flat screens... That's all a lie and also no Irons.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jolleymi800
Karyn G, Front Office Manager at Hurl Rock Motel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
We are sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience here at Hurl Rock Motel. We are under new ownership and are striving to be the best on the strip. We have checked all the doors to each and every room and made sure they are locking properly. Did you report to the front desk that you were missing Items from you room? We need to know these things so that we can take action. We have camera all over the motel and each corner. If it is reported right away we can look back and see who service your room that day and take action.. we have a zero tolerance for drugs. We do report to the police if warranted. We want each and every guess to feel safe here at The Hurl Rock.