“Nastiness”
Review of Jonathan Harbour

Jonathan Harbour
Ranked #146 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 28 August 2013

By far the worst place I've ever stayed...
Everything had stains, the sleeper sofa was so gross we bought a blow up mattress to sleep on, and the place smelled like a menthol smoker had been staying in the room the passed 40+ years (so terrible it was hard to sleep). There was a karaoke bar next door, and between the horrible music blaring and cops banging on the door to the room next to ours, we slept very little. Everything else in the area was booked the week we were there or we neeeever would have stayed here for more than the time it took to check in and out. There were cockroaches next to the pool, parking was across a busy road (not fun when you have 3 little ones with you) and the floors were just grimy. To top it all off they overcharged our card and took a week or 2 to refund the difference. The photos on website are completely misleading, DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel, this one is disgusting.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather M
Zachary N, General Manager at Jonathan Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

We regret that your stay at Jonathan Harbour was unpleasant, and we strive to address any guest concerns. Please notify guest services of any problems you might encounter as soon as possible and they will be corrected. If the music from the building next door is too loud, notify our staff and will contact them. As with many Ocean Front Resorts, Parking is across the street and not readily available from your room. However this does allow for us to have ample parking to accommodate guest with more than one vehicle, and trailers. We offer smoking and non-smoking rooms, please specify which you would prefer when booking a reservation. Again we strive to make your stay as pleasant as possible and we welcome anyone to view our rooms and our facilities.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

The staff were helpful and the room was big and well laid out. It was clean and comfortable. Now for the not so great stuff. The location sucked. It is beside an abandoned hotel, so the side view is a boarded up building and a trashy alley. The parking is across the street, which was annoying. I pay for ocean front so I do not have to cross the street! So, be prepared to pay for oceanfront and then park across the street. I'm sure they have handicap facilities, but for the rest of us....
Lastly, while the rooms are simply lovely, the sound proofing is non-existent. You can and will hear everything. If they can do something about the nose reduction, then perhaps the other factors will be easier to overlook.

1  Thank DiaGirlNC
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Clean& affordable. Compared to other places that I stopped and checked out the rooms, Jonathan Harbour same price but more space, added kitchen and clean. Thank you for giving me a great deal for the money and providing what I needed for a nice visit at the beach. I will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank bubbles123223
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We had to get a hotel in a last minute effort as we were supposed to camp at MBSP and after 3 inches of massive rain in 3 hours, we got flooded out. The staff was great and my kids and I loved the room layout. It goes all the way across the hotel. We had an oceanside view room and really liked it as the view was better than I thought it was going to be.
Yes there is an abandoned building next door, but it is on the side of the entrance door, not the balcony side so it doesnt really matter. I have read other reviews on here and yes some things are "outdated", but we were at the beach for the beach. Everything in our room worked and was clean. This hotel also provided basic kitchen supplies too. The AC was cold and the shower was hot. We will be staying here again!!!

2  Thank Dee L
Reviewed 23 July 2013

First, I booked very last minute & got a great rate for a 3 nt stay. I was told it would be ocean view with a limited view - so I was really not expecting much. However, we were pleasantly surprised that even from our 1st floor angled ocean view room, we could actually see the ocean! The room was okay too - it says that the units are individually owned, and ours was a really good 1 bdrm suite type room - no complaints here!
The reviews of the abandoned hotel next door are accurate, but it's not a view from your room - you see it from the main breezeway walking to your rooms - either way - it is creepy...especially @ night.
Parking is another issue I didn't actually see a review about before, but given this was a trip with myself, my young children, my mom & my sister - two unlit areas, behind & beside another less than desirable motel isn't my idea of safety.
Back to JH - the pool areas were okay, again, it's an older property so it's not brand new, but it's okay. No water slides or lazy river, but a decent indoor/outdoor pool, a small kiddie pool & 2 hot tubs - although one one was closed *with cation tape* as per an earlier review. They were clean & maintained well our entire stay.
All-in-all, JH was average, although we had room 107 & I would rate it slightly above bc we thought it was an ok ocean view room (to be on the 1st floor floor). However, I will say, there is public beach access parking directly in front of all of all of the balconies @ JH & a lot of the Sun & Sand traffic apparently exits thru there as well - just a consideration.
It was a great deal for the price - and overall it was okay - if the (2) abandoned hotels weren't next door & parking were better - my rating would be higher. I will also add all the staff we encountered was very nice & helpful.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

BE AWARE OF BED BUGS!!! To start off, we (a family of 5 +1) stayed there for a full week in ROOM 404 and from what the pictures showed, we thought the units were going to be at least a little bit bigger than they actually were so we invited my mother-in-law to come along --so now 3 adults and 3 kids were a bit cramped in. Regardless, we decided to stay because although small, it appeared to be clean and tidy. We saw no apparent signs of bugs or uncleanliness to be honest, one hot tub was out of service while the other was looking yellowish, and the swimming pool although clean was small, the thing that peeved me the most was the parking across the street or metered parking on the side of the hotel. The kids and my mother-in-law slept on the beds and my husband and I slept on the on the pull out. We definitely made the best of our family vacation. On day two, I noticed 2 red bumps on my leg and brushed them off as "mosquito bites" since we spent all day and most of the night outside and my mother-in-law had a couple of "mosquito bites" as well. That night although no apparent bumps anywhere else, I COULD NOT SLEEP FROM INTENSE ITCHING. By the third day I am starting to think that I am having an allergic reactions to something- tho I had not eaten anything out of the ordinary and from then on the same intense itching at night with now more red bumps appearing around my arms and legs. This continued on but like previously mentioned there was no apparent signs of bugs. NEVER having to deal with bed bugs- I NEVER THOUGHT this could be the case until our 6yr old said "mom those look like bed bug bites NOT mosquito bites!" It wasn't until we got home that we realized our 6yr old was right!!! Our vacation was fun and we certainly enjoyed ourselves MINUS THIS BED BUG DETAIL.

BY THE WAY, my husband called the hotel and told them that I was pretty much bit everywhere and the response was "we will have the maids service look further into this." Such a shame. This could have been a great place for a mommy-daddy getaway but NO THANK YOU!! Jonathan Harbour you can keep your beg bugs with you!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 404!!!
2  Thank keifer9
Reviewed 16 July 2013

we rented a one bedroom condo room 207 in June 2013. The staff was absolutely wonderful... our condo was perfect kitchen was stocked very well. Now having said that... the pool area does need a lot of tlc . One hot tub was broken and drained with caution tape around it . The other one looked very yucky. The swimming pools are VERY SMALL. My kids enjoyed them anyways. In all my family loved our unit and Janice at the front desk....just wish the pool area was better maintained .

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family