“Never had a problem”

Ranked #70 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Hudson, North Carolina
“Never had a problem”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We have stayed several times and have never had a problem. Customer service and housekeeping were friendly and efficient. The pools were clean and heated (inside). The only problem we had was parents letting children run wild and disturb others in the pools and lazy river. We have stayed in suites on different floors and have never had a problem with noise, crowding, or lines for the elevator. The Gazebo Restaurant is a convenience if you do not want to go out. The food is very good and priced accordingly with a tourist area. We try to have a beach vacation at least once a year, but this year will be two, or maybe three. I love the peace and serenity of sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves crash and "people watch".

Room Tip: Ask for a room with carpet. The wireless internet did not connect very good on the higher floors, bu...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Alesa T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (807)
  • Arabic first
Forest City, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Everything about this place is wonderful. If you go to Myrtle say here.

Room Tip: You will love the view from your balcony, no matter wich way your room is facing. Open the dorr &...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Erie, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Stayed over Spring break, the week before Easter. Arrived at 8:30 PM after a thirteen hour drive from PA. Got into the lobby after having to navigate around the vehicles of rude people who parked in the "No Parking" zone in the driveway. Found many people waiting to check in, and only two people working the front desk. Naturally, I chose the wrong line, as the people in front of me were having every issue under the sun with their reservation/changing their reservation/whether to pay by cash or credit, etc. The husband and wife took turns walking away from the desk, and the one remaining would have to leave to go find out what the other wanted to do. I stood there for 30 MINUTES before finally being waited on....rather surprised that this type of indecision would be allowed to go on with so many others waiting to check-in.

Even though their were more parties waiting to check in in the other line, it was moving slightly faster, so people who arrived after me were waited on first. Suddenly, the worker in the other line decided that it was time to go on break or something, so the moment it was finally my turn, the group of rude young men in the line beside me, who were the ones who arrived after me, by the way, decided to interrupt and tell my worker, Fred, that they were there before me (they weren't), and should be waited on first. Fred was more than happy to oblige them, and basically ignored me while I was standing directly in front of him. Interestingly, he was unable to complete their check-in because none of them had the foresight to bring their driver's licenses in with them. Ha. Perfect example of how the first shall be last, and the last shall be first.

Fred made some half-hearted apology for the wait, and when I mentioned that I was actually before them, he became very rude toward me, and rather argumentative. Nice. This is what I get for waiting patiently for 30 minutes??? I remained calm, but I definitely did NOT appreciate the long wait and the un-welcoming treatment. I see others on here naming Fred specifically as being rude to them, as well, so I guess it wasn't just me. Clearly, Fred is not a good individual to have on the welcoming committee. Anyway, he rushed through my check-in, basically explained nothing to me about the parking garage (unlike the detailed explanation he gave the party in front of me), gave me no map of the hotel, and sent me on my way. By this time, there were numerous other parties waiting to check-in, and only Fred working the front counter, so I imagine that they had a long wait, as well.

Tried to make my way through the hotel (with no map), which, by the way is a complicated maze of indoor and outdoor corridors. Got to our room, which was FREEZING, and could not adjust the fan on the air conditioner. Basically had two settings: ON and OFF. What a frustrating welcome!! Found our way back to the front desk, and asked for a map. Fred proceeded to argue with me, and said that he had already given me one. I had my welcome packet with me, and asked him to show me where it was. Of course, it wasn't there, because he NEVER GAVE ME ONE!!! Then I had to ask him to show me on the map how to get to the elevators, and he acted like he was doing me a big favor even talking to me. When I asked him where the fire exits were in case of emergency (I meant from our room on the 8th floor), he looked in the direction of the front entrance, and said, "There's the front door!" I just couldn't believe it, and the other guy was back by this time, and basically just stood by and watched Fred treat me this way, so I guess this must be business as usual at the Landmark Resort.

We were exhausted by the time we decided to crawl into bed. When I pulled the bedspread back, I was surprised to find no blanket on one of the two beds. Called housekeeping, and they told me they were "out of blankets." Seriously???? That pushed me right over the edge, and I called the front desk to speak to the manager. She tried to be helpful, and she did come right up to the room with a blanket that she took from a vacant room, but she could not adjust the air conditioner, either. She apologized for Fred's rude behavior, said it was un-called for, and promised to leave a message for his manager for the next morning. I half-expected to hear from the manager the next day, but clearly my expectations were way too high, as I heard nothing.

Things got a little better the next day....I mean, weird little things did happen all week long, but at least I didn't have to deal with Fred again. Some of the things I thought were strange: Little pieces of the popcorn ceiling fell all week long, all over the room. We even brought some of it home in our suitcases, where it had fallen in earlier in the week. I am not sure if they ever changed the bedding, as we had the oddball blanket that the manager brought up the first night, for the whole week. Maybe they only change the sheets, not the blankets, I don't know, but it definitely made us wonder. Had to run the shower for 10-15 minutes before getting in, no matter the time of day, as the water was cold. Water running in the bathroom sink made a weird sound in the wetbar sink, and sometimes when you flushed the toilet, water would come up in the bathroom sink. Also, we would hear some type of jackhammer like noise coming from the room next door every afternoon, even though it did not appear that they were doing any construction. Maybe it was coming from overhead, but it was definitely loud and annoying. Finally, not enough elevators, and there was usually a long wait for one to come. I heard many others commenting about this throughout the week, too.

The only positive thing that made up for this whole nightmarish experience was the magnificent view from our ocean front balcony, but I have to think that I could have found that elsewhere without all of the aggravation that came along with this place. I got this resort through a deal on TravelZoo, so I didn't expect this to be such a bad place. I guess they just list the best deals, not necesssarily the best places. How dismaying, as this is the first bad experience I have had from a travel deal there. I did fill out the Landmark's review sent by email, but like another reviewer wrote, I heard from no one in response. I doubt that I would ever stay at this resort again, or recommend it to anyone else, either.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jill K
LandmarkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
We are sorry to hear that your experience with us was not a pleasant one and we hope that you and your family can accept our apologies. Your comments and concerns have been addressed internally with management and we have taken the proper measures to ensure that our guests have a positive experience when checking-in.
I would also like to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered by not having a blanket on one of the beds in your room, however I am glad someone was able to find one for you. Sheets are changed every three days during your stay by housekeeping, and of course after you check-out.
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments and again we are sorry that you did not have an enjoyable time.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We took the family down for Easter and got a fabulous rate!! This is a wonderful ocean front hotel, with DJ, Hawaiian show, Several pools and lazy rivers. You don't have to leave for anything if you don't want to. Restaurant, bar, coin op laundry, convience store, everything is really close. We loved it!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
LandmarkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for choosing to spend the Easter Holiday with us at the Landmark. We are so happy that you and your family enjoyed all of our amenities and had a great stay. Chief Kamu and his hula dancers put on a great show for the whole family. I am glad you had the opportunity to check this out during your stay.
We appreciate your time and we are looking forward to having you and your family with us again in the future.

Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Wow, I used to have great things to say about Landmark....However, I am beginning to be concerned about this place. I had the issue of varying rates earlier when trying to book...which they fixed (at the highest rate) online. I just called at 9:11 am EST on 4/12/2012 because I was going to book the pay for 5 stay for 7 rate which is still listed on the website right now, and was told by Yolanda the reservationist that the special is taken down. If taken down then don't have it on the site as still available and to call reservations. It looks like I may have to find another place to stay this summer....which is sad because my family and I really like Landmark and have never had a problem with the service when down there...however these issues in reservations are enough to put me off from dealing with booking at Landmark

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
I am sorry to hear that you were having some problems trying to make a reservation. The Stay 7 pay for 5 special is listed under our 'Spring Specials' and does state that it is not available June - August. We do have nightly discounted rates available for summer. Please keep in mind that rates are subject to change based on occupancy, so if you get a rate quote and DON'T book at that time, the rates may be higher if you call back - especially if you're booking for a busy time frame. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoy coming to The Landmark and we look forward to having you back!

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Ok, we stayed here for spring break...there is good and bad....After searching on Google Images for this resort I was ready to cancel our reservations right then and there. If you do it you will see the photo of the mattress that made me scared to sleep here. However, we already paid a deposit so no canceling for us. When we arrived our room smelled like a cigarette factory even though it was a non-smoking room. We complained, but what are they going to do? How do you eliminate cigarette odor? That's simply the rude smokers of the world, can't blame the hotel entirely for that one. Additionally, there is no free continental breakfast like most of the other resorts have. The breakfast buffet is $9 per person...IHop is one street up...go there instead. We have a small child, and this is a great hotel if you have kids (and if it's summer...read on...). Cute water park, pool, lazy river. there is another pyramid themed water park, but it's on the other side of the road by the parking garage...we did not make it there. HERE IS MY NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT ABOUT THIS HOTEL AND THE REASON WE LIKELY WILL NOT RETURN The hotel boasts 10 indoor and outdoor HEATED pools...yes it is April in SC and it is still chilly out! The indoor pools are in no way shape or form heated, unless they are including the hot tubs as the heated pools? and even then 2 of them were closed down. There is a nice large indoor pool...ice cold. a few 1 foot deep baby pools...ice cold (how hard is it to heat a foot of water?). The lazy river and another kid play area weren't freezing, but def. weren't heated. In addition there were 30 mph winds the days we were there and the pools aren't truly indoors, there is a side of the greenhouse looking portion of the pool area that is totally open. The wind blew right in there and froze you even if you were dry. we did no swimming on our visit. Which is sad because that is the one reason we went there :( The hot tubs were heated, but can't do too much in a hot tub with a toddler.
Other than that....our room was clean, towels were clean, mattress was clean (I checked it). The elevators were fast, there was a DJ at the pool from noon until 4 and a pool side bar, even though it was too cold to swim! You are Probably thinking there are more positives than negatives, but when you go somewhere during a chilly time of year specifically to enjoy an indoor heated pool area with your child - only to find out that was a lie, and nothing is heated, it's kind of a BIG negative. We're trying Coral Beach next time, it's a few doors down and we heard good things :) Sorry Landmark - fix your pool heaters.

Room Tip: There are rooms where your door opens to the outside (motel style) and doors that open to a hallway...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
LandmarkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Landmark. I can understand your concerns after seeing a picture of a stained mattress online; however most of the mattresses are new as they have been recently replaced. I would like to apologize that you were not able to enjoy the pools while you were here. We try to keep the temperature of the pools between 84 and 88 degrees. On occasion, we may experience a maintenance issue with a few of the pools which can cause them to be a little cold. The good thing is that we have a total of 17 water features at the resort so there are always pools open that are heated, for our guests to enjoy. I am also sorry you didn't get the chance to visit the H20asis Splash Park and Mini-golf during your stay, as the kids really seem to have a lot of fun. Although they are both located across the street, we do offer an enclosed crosswalk.
While we do not offer a free breakfast, you are able to add breakfast in advance to your reservation at a discounted price. Thank you again for sharing your comments and hopefully you and your family will decide to visit again.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Some rooms have more recent upgrades such as new kitchens, flat screen tvs., mattresses. We loved #1039, many extras added by homeowner. Ocean front view. You can request this condo if available.

• Stayed December 2011