“pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #70 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
High Point, North Carolina
“pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

It has been several years since my husband and I have stayed at the Landmark. We decided to give it another try and must say, we were thrilled. I had read some of the negative reviews, but thought, what the heck. The hotel was wonderful. New paint, new decor, clean rooms, carpets, elevators, everything was fresh and clean. The doors going in and out of the walkway to the parking deck had been changed to automatic doors. This is a big help when your arms are full. We love the parking deck. The car is protected from the elements and so are you. The only suggestions I would recommend are, get a room on a higher floor and away from the elevators. Higher rooms are quieter due to not being close to the pools. People congregate at the elevators, both getting on and getting off. I would also suggest that the doors opening to the hall shut quieter. They slam shut and this is disturbing during the night. Also post signs at the ends of each hallway reminding people to be "Quiet" at night. This hotel is very family oriented and it attracts families with children. If you want a quiet place to sit and read, good luck. We have chosen to start going to the beach after school has started back and this eliminates a lot of the noise at the pools. We will definitely stay at the Landmark again for many reasons. It not only is a very nice hotel, but also close to restaurants and grocery stores.

Room Tip: On a high floor and away from elevators. You can't hear all the noise around the pools and peop...
1 Thank Audrey B
LandmarkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent visit at the Landmark. It is great to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for also noticing the recent upgrades and mentioning this in your review.
Your comments are greatly appreciated and we can't wait to see you again, the next time you visit the area.

Guest Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Room smells mold, outdated. The place is Super 8 upgraded. Beds are filthy and smell.
I booked for 3 nights and left after the first night. Did not want to get sick. Don't be fooled by location, unless you want to spend 24 hr outside your room.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Visitorks
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit with us and decided to leave after the first night. I hope that you can accept our apologies for any disappointment you experienced while visiting.
We appreciate you sharing your comments about your stay. If there is any way we can assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I really enjoy staying at the Landmark. Its my first choice when coming to Myrtle Beach.We enjoyed the location of the hotel because it was right in the center of all the other businesses.We were within walking distance of Shoneys which we love to have breakfast at.The there was Food Lion where my wife loves to shop.. My daughter loves the Lazy River and the pool at the hotel. Very enjoyable trip.

1 Thank blakney
Thank you for your review. We are so glad to hear that we are your first choice when visiting Myrtle Beach. I am also glad that your daughter loves the lazy river and all of our pools.
We are looking forward to having you and your family back with us during your next beach trip.

Church Road, Virginia
Reviewed 26 August 2012

On Friday evening, after returning to our room, my husband and I discovered that our bag of unopened groceries were gone! The maid mistakend the bag for trash. I called down to the front desk and spoke to Rachel, although she apologized she told me that I could only be compensated for my belongings by providing a receipt to prove that I had in fact purchased the items.

Room Tip: Keep all receipts for anything you buy and take into the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
LandmarkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at the Landmark. We are very sorry to hear about what happened and hope that you and your family can accept our apologies.
We have investigated this incident and our Front Office Manager called and left a message to discuss it privately and hopefully, rectify the situation.
We hope that you and your family enjoyed your vacation to Myrtle Beach. If there is any way we can further assist you, please do not hesitate to contact us.

high point
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have been coming to Myrtle Beach frequently for over 13 years for various sports/ cheerleading/ and church functions. I have stayed in high end and lower end places. I have stayed at Landmark at least 12 times For the money Landmark is BY FAR the best. Over the years, I have noticed frequent upgrades to the rooms and facility. I always stay in the north tower and these rooms are efficicency type rooms. The bedding and room decor have been updated recently and so has the lobby area (I like the old decor a bit better but whatever-they are trying to keep it new and nice.) During my most recent visit, they had updated to a nice big flatscreen TV. Someone always seems to be cleaning the glass doors in the lobby. My room has always been acceptably clean- and sometimes it is EXCEPTIONALLY clean. I have seen the large palmetto bugs that everyone is talking about outside but have NEVER any bug inside. The water in the pools is usually clear butit is sometimes cloudy- so I don't know why that is. I hope this is something they will work on because on a couple of occassions this has caused me a bit of concern. They said it is tested often and is safe but still... The parking siuation is the best I have encountered. They have a nice parking garage across the street and a covered skywalk over to the complex. There is a small but nice pool area and putt putt across the street on the parking deck side. During the peak check-in/check-out time or if they are checking in a bus load, the elevators might take a while but otherwise they are fast and we never wait very long. I just don't see what all the complaints are about. In my last stay, I noticed spots that looked a bit gross on the ceiling- but when I looked closer at them I could tell they were nails which had rusted under the paint and not something gross at all. It is an old complex but I think they do a great job trying to keep it nice and affordable for families. Is it perfect? No, but is a very good value. I don't know what the people giving this place such bad reviews expect to get for this price!

Room Tip: North Tower is updated. Oceanview rooms are excellent.
1 Thank c h
LandmarkResort, Guest Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. Your loyalty to the Landmark Resort is greatly appreciated and we are so glad that you and your family enjoy staying with us.
I am also glad to hear that your room is always clean during your visits with us and thank you for noticing the recent upgrades. We always appreciate our guests comments, as they can help improve our property and provide a better experience. We can't wait to see you and your family again!

Lexington, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed 8-19 to 22-2012. Bathroom door coming apart and off bottom hinge,fridge missing door guards to hold things and the so called COURTYARD VIEW...what a joke...the top of ac/heat and ventilation units. Was on the 8th floor and had to go to poolside or the 11th floor to get ice. If I could of gotten all my money back the 1st day after seeing the room we would have went elsewhere. See attached pics of our room...810. Also Jacuzzi's were to hot to get into for me. Also...you had to park across the street in a parking garage then either cross the road or take the elevator to the covered walkway over the road to get back to the hotel, and do the same for the "LITTLE so called funpark".

Room Tip: DO NOT CHOOSE AN INTERIOR ROOM. Really the hotel is not worth the price for any room.
1 Thank Donna A
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and photos on TripAdvisor. We are so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your visit. We have addressed the issue with the ice machines on several floors not operating consistently, and have ordered new machines to replace them.

Our interior view rooms are the most economical, budget friendly rooms at our hotel. While the rooms are appointed with the same updated decor, marble counter tops and flat screen TV's like our Oceanfront and Oceanview rooms, the balcony overlooks the courtyard of the hotel. I can tell by your disappointment that you were expecting a view of landscaping and gardens. By definition, a courtyard is an open space surrounded by walls and/or buildings. I understand that you were offered the option to upgrade your room at an additional fee, to one with a view of the ocean which you declined.

Once again, I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to the view of your room. I would also like to thank you for your feedback in regards to the ice machines,and the positive remarks about the housekeeper you mentioned in your email to me. We value all of our guests and would hope that if you decide to return to the Landmark, you will allow us to assist you in choosing a room style that will meet and exceed your expectations.

Kelly Simmons
Guest Relations Manager
Belmont, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2012

My wife booked this resort and I was skeptical about the price and after reading the mixed TA reviews. The old saying that you get what you pay for applies to this property. The resort is older and is in need of a major upgrade. I guess if they did that they would not be able to charge the prices that they do. We planned to be on the beach or at the pools most of the time. There are numerous pools and lazy rivers at the resort and our children had a blast. The first night we were there was a Saturday night and the pools were pretty crowded then but the rest of the time it wasn't too bad. We made the mistake when booking of paying for the Cookout on Saturday night thinking that the Cookout and Fire show were together and you had to do the cookout to see the show. This is not the case. The Fire Show was great and people from outside the resort were coming in to watch it. It made it hard for hotel guests to get a good seat to see the show. The hotel gives out wristbands that guests are told to wear to be in the pool areas but it is never enforced. The overall security at the hotel is rather poor. Anyone can come into the resort off the street or the beach. Also the hotel and garage have many missing lights in the corridors that give it a back alley feel at night. Our room was cleaned daily but the cleanliness seemed to be more of a make the beds and wipe what was in sight. Our son left a towel on the floor next to the bed and they only gave us three replacements and didn't pick up the one on the floor. Kind of tells you that they didn't vacuum the floors. It seemed like you were on a ration system in the room as far as replacing tolietries. If you want to make sure not to run out bring your own. All in all our kids had a blast playing at the pools and the ocean. The hotel wasn't so filthy that we had to leave but we will probably choose another hotel next time we go to MB.

1 Thank Scott N
Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your stay at the Landmark. We appreciate you choosing us as your vacation destination. I am glad that your kids had a blast in the pools and that you enjoyed the Fire and Hula Show on Saturday night.
All of our guests receive wristbands at check-in to wear at the pool area. This is something that should definitely be enforced by our staff to ensure the pools are only being used by Landmark guests.
Your comments and feedback are greatly appreciated because the information you provided can help improve our property and better serve our guests. Thank you for your time and we hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the future.