“Bad Motel”

Ranked #179 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Bad Motel”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed last weekend 4/12-4/13 and we have stayed at this motel in the past. It was bad, carpets were dirty,took a shower walked from the bathroom to the bed and my feet were black from dirt, beds were awful, towels felt like sand paper. TV was fuzzy. It was noisy. Wont be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Wanda L
AFRadmin, Manager at Affordable Family Resort, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Sorry your stay was not satisfactory. I looked in the history and the only room that match was on the first floor. One of our Double suites. We have our subcontractors once a month check the our washers to make sure the are dispensing the correct amount of fabric softener. I hope this resolved that issue. Here are some promo codes new for our online booking june14, july 14 and august14.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

The location is great and the grounds (picnic area, slides, pool) are nice. But...the rooms are VERY dirty. We used to stay here every year as a big family get-together but every year the place just gets dirtier and dirtier. This last time, after getting ate up with bed bugs , I decided to never stay again.

• Stayed October 2013
9 Thank Jerzy6546
AFRadmin, Owner at Affordable Family Resort, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Own December 9th of 2013. We made contact with this reviewer via Tripadvisor and on December 31th we have not received a response. We asked the reviewer to provide us with information on their stay so we could investigate the matter. Keep in mind the review was not posted until 3 months after the stay. When I checked with the GM and the front desk staff no one new of any issues during the time period mention.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My church family and I stays every October and we never have any complaints. . The staff is friendly and respectful..I love this hotel. We never had a problem with bugs. The pruce is affordable and the rooms are clean

• Stayed October 2012
7 Thank fluffy1972
Thank you for you post on Tripadvisor and we wish you a very Happy New Year.

We at Affordable Family Resort are focused on customer retention. Please fill free to call and speak to the new General Manager with any issues or positive comments.
Plumtree, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The staff was very nice. Our room was nice for the amount we paid. Alot of budget hotels are terrible but this one is doable. If your looking for fancy this one isn't for you but if your looking for something decent and spacious on a budget this one can't be beat.....it could use so e updates but nothing like some other places we stayed in the area...made great family memories would def go back

Room Tip: We were in room 313
4 Thank Chris N Amanda N

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This hotel almost made our family vacation a nightmare. They advertise "large and clean suites" but this is far from the truth. We arrived to a VERY DATED cottage, but the large space was great so we decided to make due. However upon pulling the sheets back to the beds we discovered dirty stained sheets and covers with hair on one pillow. The staff came to replace it, so we decided to try it. However at about 1 am in the morning we began to get uninvited houseguests. We killed the first giant roach, and called the staff on duty. We were going to try to make it through the night, but the longer we waited the worse it got. We then spotted 3 roaches in the bedroom bathroom, 2 dead roaches under a bed, and 3 earwigs in the hall bathroom. This was enough. The staff agreed to give us back our money if left. So at 4 am we had to pack up our family and leave. However I had to come back the next day to get my money back for the room. Upon talking to the manager and some little old lady that acted as his assistant, they began to tell us that there was nothing in the room when they went to clean it, (when we knew that we had left the dead roaches on the floor that we had killed). They were EXTREMELY RUDE, although I tried to be kosher considering they had other people in the lobby and it was a matter of me getting my money. I tried to explain to them, that who in their right mind would uproot a party of 13 ppl to attempt to try to find other lodging at 4 am if the room wasn't that bad. They told me I was over reacting and threw my receipt for my refund. I'm telling you, this place should be condemned. I WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO STAY AT THE PLACE EVER AGAIN!!!!!! What used to be a nice family friendly, clean place is now just low down, trashy, dirty scum!!! YUCKKKJKKKKKK!!!!!!! Pleas people SAVE your money!!!!!

Room Tip: Save your money unless you want to take home extra pets!!!! (ie, Roaches)
10 Thank Ld S
Steven J, Manager at Affordable Family Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
The "Little old lady" Is the owner. We did check the room after guest stayed check-in at 2:45 pm on 8-7-13 and first complaint was at around 1:00am 8-8-13. refunded at 6:07am the next morning. Did not leave until 4:48am per their words on the 8-8-13.

Here are notes from the night shift:
"At approximately 12:40am I got a call from Unit 501 saying they had seen cockroaches. I told her I would assign it to maintenance in the morning and leave word with the Manager. She asked when you would be in to which I replied approximately 8am. Two hours later a lady called back again, She stated that some of the group in the unit had gone to their vehicles to sleep. She then repeated her report of cockroaches and wanted to move into multiple units in the "main" building. I told her I was not authorized to do that. Then the topic of a refund came up. I told her I would refund her payments. She said she would speak to the others and call me back.

She came in at 4:48am, returned all the keys and checked out. I was not clear on how to refund the deposit before she left so I told her to come back later this morning with the copy of the intentions to refund the advance deposit too. I later checked it out and processed the deposit for refund also. The receipt she will come later and ask for today. The details are in an envelope at the front desk."

Part of this group has stayed here for years. Maybe they had a argument among themselves and had to make up a reason to go their on way.

When guest came back to get her deposit we ask about the bugs. We could not understand if the room was so infested with bugs why did the guest take dead bugs with them when they left. All the towels and wash clothes had been used and all trash cans full. This unit was used by these guest. Guest could not or would not tell us where the bugs were. She got mad because we were trying to find the bugs she claims were there. We looked under the refrigerator, stove and cabinets. no bugs found.

As always we take all complaints serious and address them. We have a reputable pest extermination company spraying on a monthly basis even with out bug complaints. We know we do not stock the room with bugs.

Affordable Family Resort went way above normal procedures by give at complete and total refund for the mess that was left for a 16 hour stay.
Albemarle, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed in room 210 and it was in great condition. There were 2 full/double beds and one queen bed. We had 4 adults and 1 child. Kinda outdated, but not important to us. Also, they are pet friendly rooms, which was very nice! Also, there are entrances to the beach on either side of the hotel; we used the entrances on the left side of the hotel which was a perfect spot on the beach.
They allowed us to check the room prior to official check in, which was nice since we were scared from the previous comments.
There were cups, plates, saucers and bowls, but no dish cleaner. Fridge and sink were nice. Stove was okay, but could have been cleaned up a bit more, but was unused by us.
My son loved the kiddie pool! We were unable to take the water slides, since we were only there for the weekend and mostly spent time at the beach. The pool was an average size but was always full of other families (which was not really their fault). The televisions were in each room, but very small and there was no game systems, DVD players or radios.

**The only issue was had was the day of leaving. We had a flat tire, about an hour from the hotel and come back to the room later than check-out. They called about noon to let us know we were late and questioning what was going on. We attempted to call from 4 different phones and waiting while it rang for almost 4 minutes each call. We were unable to get back to the room to check on the dog until management spoke to us about the situation. They made us pay the additional $30 late checkout charge, which we did not mind, because it was better than a whole day charge, but still unfortunate because it was not our fault they would not answer the phones.

~~Overall: okay and great for the money, especially if you are not staying in the room much. Kid and pet friendly, but service was slow.~~ ((Hope this helps))

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see the room before hand. :)
1 Thank SouthernPurple85

Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The bathroom tile was chipped up and it smelled like pee. The stove was rusting on the bottom and so was the fridge. The vent was falling out of the air conditioning over my head. The back room smelled like vinegar. The TVs were small and snowy. The toilet had rust in it. Management was rude when we asked for a clean sheet upon arrival and acted like we had gotten it dirty with food. We just pulled the bed back and the spot was there. Made you scared to ask for anything. The police came while we were there for something. The pool was very old. The whole place is just very old and hasn't been updated. I would say it was fairly clean looking but I have some bites on my torso that look just like bedbug pictures. I did not actually see any bedbugs though. It is a dump and does not look like the pictures when you get there. The lifeguards at the slides were so rude to my children that they wouldn't go down them. The slides were why I picked this place above other cheap places. Don't do it. If you have standards at all don't slum it. If you can't afford a nice place stay home. I will. Lesson learned. Oh, the beds did sleep good.

Room Tip: Don't get 213.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family