“Great location, but.....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
venice, fl
“Great location, but.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location, the staff was very friendly courteous. The ocean front room was outstanding, and beach was awesome. The cons are our room could use some fresh paint, and little thing fixed like cabinet knobs and new linens for the beds. There was no coffee of filters for the coffee pot. Refrigerator wasn't plugged in, and I was not aware. I woke up the following morning with warm drinks and warm food. The elevators were slow and one was broken down. The pool area looked larger on the web site (the lazy river was pretty small) I had teens, probably more suited for smaller children . Its not a horrible property, but I would pay a little more for a nicer stay.

1 Thank jdland
Dear Jdland,

Thank you for choosing the Ocean Reef Resort as your Myrtle Beach vacation destination. We appreciate both the positive and negative feedback, as our guest comments provide invaluable insight. During the peak season our resort is sold out nearly every night, and with that naturally comes wear and tear of room conditions. Our team works hard to maintain each room and certainly will research and address your particular situation. We truly hope to bring you back to try our wonderful resort again soon.

Ocean Reef Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
Spring Lake, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

One elevator was broken for 2 of the 3 days we were there. This made traveling up and down very difficult since there wasn't room most times on the elevator by time it got to our floor. Then, another elevator got stuck when riding it. Needless to say, we had to get our 4 children to walk up/down to and from the 8th floor several times during our stay. We had to take the stairs more often than we were able to use the elevator.
Guest services were very lacking during our stay. I called the front desk and asked for extra pillows and blankets and it took 2 hours to get it after I had to call back to request it again. Then, the housekeeper came right before we were heading out, and I told him we would be leaving shortly and we would be gone if he could come back in about 15 minutes. After leaving for about 2 hours, we returned to our room to find it had not been cleaned. I had to contact the front desk to request our room be cleaned.
I also contacted the front desk because we did not have any coffee for the coffee maker when we checked into our room. She stated that they had some at the front desk. When I clarified that I didn't need more than we were given, but that we did not have any in the room at all. She again said I could come get some from the front desk instead of offering it to be brought to my room.
As far as the water slide, the hours posted are from 11 to 7, but on Tuesday the slide closed down in the middle of the day with a sign on it that it would reopen at 4:30, but did not reopen until 5pm, then it closed at 6pm instead of 7pm. This was a big deal for our family because the water slide is the main reason we chose to book our hotel at the Ocean Reef Resort, and Tuesday was our only full day at the hotel.
Lastly, the kids club is very misleading. It stated it was opened Monday through Friday from 10 to 5 on the website. I even called and spoke to the hotel to get more information about it. I was told that it would be a setting that we could leave our children and have an hour or so to relax at the pool or ocean. However, when we seen the activities calendar, the scheduled events were between 30 to 45 minutes long. We decided to have our children do a craft that was scheduled from 2:00 to 2:45, so we could at least get 45 minutes to relax poolside without the kids. However, upon arrival we were told that the craft should only take 15 minutes and to be back to pick them up around then. Fifteen minutes was not enough time to do anything, so we decided to save the $2 per child and skip the kids club.
With these issues fixed, this hotel would be awesome. However, as is, we will not booking at this hotel in the future. It was not a reasonably priced hotel to overlook these shortcomings. We paid more for this hotel over others because we felt it was going to be nice, but it did not meet our expectations.

Room Tip: Try to book on a low floor because from our experience, we had to take the stairs a lot due to the b...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Kristy G
Dear Kristy G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review for the Ocean Reef Resort. While some issues are not always able to be foreseen, like an elevator needing service, our guest service is absolutely within our control. Our team would like to apologize that you felt there was lack of response to your requests and it will certainly be addressed with the appropriate personnel. It most definitely is not our standard. Our recreation staff will also look into why the slide would not be open for the full time each day. Typically, the only reason we would close it during peak hours would be for inclement weather or in case of an emergency.

The Kids Club does have activities scheduled from 10:00am until 5:00pm. While it is not a babysitting service, it does give parents and children a chance to do different crafts and activities throughout the day, some that are free and others that have a small fee. They plan on the activities lasting 30-45 minutes, but this always depends on how many children are participating. If only a few children show up for a particular event, it may not last the full 45 minutes.

Our staff values your comments, as we are continuously improving our guest experience. Next time you're in Myrtle Beach, we hope you choose to try our resort again!

Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We had a great stay. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and well equipped. Amenities were good too. The kids enjoyed the life size board game room! The only problem was that there are not enough luggage carts available! My family and many other families were very upset because they had to make many trips to their room carrying all of their baggage due to the lack of luggage carts!!!! Check in was slow. overall good experience though.

Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Wendi W
Dear Wendi W,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Ocean Reef Resort. Your feedback about the luggage carts is important. We aim to make checking in and out of the resort a breeze, but on heavy traffic days it is a challenge to keep the luggage carts in their designated area. It sounds like you still had a wonderful vacation, and we hope to see you again soon!

Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Had a wonderful vacation here! I wasn't happy with my room because the mattress was in poor condition and so was my room. The staff immediately sent up a brand new mattress that night and said I could look at another room in the morning, none were available at the time. The next morning, Crystal the hotel manager, upgraded me to a 3 bedroom condo! It was fantastic! Selena, one of the desk workers, couldn't have been nicer! She always greeted us and remembered our names! I would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DML830
Dear DML830,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review, and more importantly, for vacationing at the Ocean Reef Resort! We take immense pride in providing excellent customer-service, and its wonderful to hear that Crystal and Selena made an impact on your stay. Your recommendation is appreciated, and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Garner, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

I enjoyed my stay at ocean reef, however the TV in the king bed room was a very small and old school TV. If I am paying over 1,500 dollars for only a 3 night stay I expected so much more !! I was also told that my room had a full size kitchen and it did not, I had a family of four with me and It was very hard to cook on such a small stove. My children really enjoyed it, the pools were nice and big and family friendly. I just expected so much more out of the actual room itself.

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Tyann B
Dear Tyann B,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for your stay at the Ocean Reef Resort. We appreciate your feedback about the size of your kitchen and apologize it wasn't what you expected. Each unit does have a flat screen television and DVD player, but in some of the condo guest rooms the TV's have yet to be updated. Updating our TV's is a continuous project, and again I must apologize that it didn't fit your needs this time. We're glad your family enjoyed all of the great water amenities, and we hope to see you back soon.

indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

very kid oriented, nice place to stay. staff very friendly., elevators are extremely slow with all the people in the hotel, they need some upgrading. Nice angle ocean view rooms, beach was very crowded but enjoyable. This was our 4th trip to the hotel.

Room Tip: ocean angle view rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
2 Thank mrmrsatm
Dear mrmrsatm,

Thank you for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review, and more importantly, for choosing the Ocean Reef Resort as your Myrtle Beach vacation destination! We appreciate the great feedback, and our staff looks forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Columbia, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

checked in Wednesday july 2,2014 in an oceanfront suite ceiling tiles were falling from the kitchen area blood in bathroom and on bed spread. mattress was in horrible condition and had a sour odor my 4th of july was ruined because of this we wanted to be moved couldn't be moved or refunded any money for early departure. please don't waste your money on this dump. management wasn't helpful at all. this place is out dated and dirty. I hope this was helpfull thank you

27 Thank 915nakia
Stephen Y, Manager at Ocean Reef Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear 915nakia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Ocean Reef Resort as we appreciate your comments and feedback. I would however like to inquire about these comments written as I am confused when we spoke approximately 15 minutes ago over the phone, you stated the concerns were met and you were very appreciative of my call and the hotels efforts.

Upon checking into the unit, you called the front desk because you thought the bedspread in the unit had blood on it. The executive director of housekeeping personally came to the room to address the situation in your presence. It was explained that there was a malfunction with one of the dryers that caused a discoloration from suntan lotion to the blue and white spreads, and that it was not blood. For your ease of mind, he also had two new spreads brought to the room immediately.

There are no ceiling tiles in the kitchen area. What you are describing is an access panel that was dislodged from its position due to the drafts coming in from the entrance door opening or as you stated when the refrigerator door opened and closed. As soon as the issue was brought to our attention, we dispatched our maintenance and unfortunately once they arrived they were told "do not fix today just repair the access panel when we check out in the morning." This was completed per your request.

After staying at the re'sort for 3 nights, you reported that the mattresses were “soured” when you stripped your own sheets for housekeeping to change. Please keep in mind that housekeeping also changed your sheets daily per your request as we normally do upon a guests requests with signs placed on the bed for our linen reuse water preservation program. Although we did not smell any abnormal odors, our engineering department went above and beyond by replacing both mattresses with brand new ones for your comfort.

Your departure date was set to Monday, July 7th, as that was the date in which you left, so there is confusion regarding the no refund for early departure. When you inquired on Sunday to a manager about leaving early on Monday and getting a refund you were advised that this was your originally scheduled day to depart. I do believe you thought it was Tuesday as you stated over the phone but of course you were not charged for the additional day.

Throughout your stay, any issues that you brought to our attention were immediately resolved, per our conversation over the phone. If there is something that you feel was left unresolved again my apologies as they were not mentioned to me a few minutes ago when we spoke however I would be more than happy to discuss them with you in further detail should you feel the need.

We take great pride in our facilities and customer service, and will continue to do our absolute best to keep our current and future guests satisfied.