“Myrtle Beach Resort, TAN network, decent!”

Myrtle Beach Resort
Ranked #68 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We just stayed a week at this resort thru the TAN network (stayed in 529 - bldg B). It was clean, decent, a tad bit dated, but no issues at all.

Check in was easy, although instead of renting beach chair & umbrella - just bring your own and save $$.

Broadway at the Beach is a nice play to eat, shop, and do the Aquarium.

We also did a Dolphin Watch boat ride, thru Capt Dicks. It was nice, but not what the ad showed in the book we had. It was a raft boat (like a coast guard boat). It all went fine, but not what I thought I booked (I thought I booked a dinner cruise type boat with restrooms).

We will return to this resort again in the future - although I may try to get a more updated unit next time (even though this unit worked out fine). Thanks,

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank WisconsinHartland

Reviewed 4 May 2010

This was a winter rental from Nov - Mar that I thought would be a wonderful peaceful time. I especially booked this hotel because of the internet service. I am disabled and stay inside most of the time.

On November 15th the internet service was canceled with NO NOTICE to the guests. When I called to inquire about what was wrong with it, they told me they were upgrading the system and it wouldn't be back on that week. Well, it didn't get back on until the end of January. That's right 2 1/5 months without internet service. Then sporadic service for the next month. I complained that it was unfair of them to collect the entire rent without providing the services they advertised and management told me that it was like one of the amenity's breaking down and there was nothing they could do about it. If I deducted any money from my rent they would evict me and I would lose the $900 security deposit they took from me.

I was in an oceanfront unit in the towers. The first time I went to throw my garbage out (in the garbage chutes at the end of the hall) the stench was so unbearable that I almost threw my guts up. I went to the office and asked if there was another option and they told me that I could throw my garbage in any pail on the property or the dumpsters. From that day on I used the garbage pails in the large parking lot. After 4 3/4 months on the last week of my stay I got a notice from security that I was no longer allowed to throw my garbage in the pails - even though it says I could right in the "rules and regulations" I was given at check in.

As I mentioned, I am disabled. Well, this is not the place to rent if you have a handicapped sticker and need a close parking spot. They have very little handicapped spots and none of them are within close proximity of the front door. Don't even think about parking in the 20 minute spots that are right up to the door, or security will be calling you up to move your car. And if you have a guest come to visit, make sure they leave by midnight or they will have to go back to the security gate to get a new parking pass for the next day. These asinine rules only made my stay less enjoyable than it already was.

Now back to my security deposit. Even though my rent was only $600 a month (another reason I chose this place) they asked for $900 in security. Apparently, this is a scam to keep and use guests money for their own use. Even though they had my unit rented out the same day that I left, they would not return my deposit until 30 days after I left. On the 30th day they called me to ask if I wanted to come and pick it up. Are you kidding, I'm in NY! Another way to keep my money even longer. I had to call the Magistrates office to get my money back. After I cleaned the unit better than what it was like when I rented it, they had the nerve to take out money to clean it.

Other annoying things about my stay: Security did nothing about the loud kids on the beach at 2 a.m. even though they have an 11:00 curfew for children. The deck by the outdoor bar was in repair the entire time I was living there and could not be used, not to mention the hammering at 8 a.m. every morning. The laundry was a joke with broken down machines and the dryers that took $1.75 for 40 minutes and didn't dry completely in that time, so you are forced to put in another $1.75 for a few more minutes. Flooding parking lots with every rain storm. A half mile walk from the parking lot to the oceanfront units. Elevator that never worked, repair men everywhere. and filthy rooms that they say are "clean" and "updated".
Do not rent from these thieves. The place is outdated, old and decrepit. They treat their guests horribly. Management leaves a lot to be desired. I've never had such a terrible experience in a winter rental in my life. I will never deal with these people again. They should be condemned for the filth and put out of business for their untruthful advertising and criminal business practices.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Freetotravel2
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We have not had a good experience with TAN for the most part but this time was different. The Myrtle Beach Resort was wonderful. The location worked well for us. Not too close to town but right on the beach with plenty to do. Bring your own equipment for the basketball court and putting green. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the second floor of the condo section farthest from the beach. The laundry facilities outside of the unit were clean. The unit itself was clean and comfortable with all kitchen amenities. The grounds were well kept and all pools (there are many of them) were wonderful. The best was the pool with the lazy river. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OhioMeisje
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I took my 3 children to Myrtle Beach and stayed at the Myrtle Beach Resort. I arrived at 1:00pm after paying an extra $50. for a early check-in of noon. Upon entering our room there was a foul odour of garbage, dirty diapers. The room was dirty, the shower leaking and obviously I thought the room was not ready so I called the front desk only to be told the room had been cleaned. I told them there were 3 bags of garbage, one on the couch and the others in the bedroom the were obviously forgotten by housekeeping, there was also no toilet paper. The front desk manager assured us the room had been cleaned and told me she would send housekeeping right up. Well no one ever showed up. We had to take all the garbage bags to the bins, which were left in the halls uncovered and foul smelling. We had to clean the room completly before bringing our bags in. The shower head barely let any water out only a trickle, maintenance came to fix the cable but they left as they said "it was too big of a job". Then later on we tried the internet and had to go physically down to get the login information, something that should have been shared with us upon arrival. Two days later I went to see the manager which I was denied after speaking to the front desk manager. After seeing that I was not leaving she took me into the back offices where the manager was and opened a separate office for us to see her in. The back offices were just as bad as the rooms, dirty with junk laying all over the place. The manager was ignorant and told us to leave if we didn't like it, but of course refused to give me a refund otherwise I would have left in a second. Nothing was open. They advertised daily towel changes and a lazy river with a heated pool (the picture of the pool was outside. Well the lazy river was closed she told me as it was not vacation time. The heated pool was an oversized bathtub about a 5min walk away, which wasn't open all of the time. I could go on and on, but just beware as this resort which is all parking lot and condos falsely shows the resort as being child friendly. There was nothing for the kids to do. The pool was 60 and cold and dirty. Make sure you check reviews and talk to people before booking from something you see on-line, I will never make this mistake again. Then they wanted me to clean the room upon departure, I told them I left the room as I found it, but really it was much better. These rooms should be condemned.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank canadiangal33
Reviewed 2 February 2010

My family had such a great time at this resort that I convinced my parents to vacation there. They enjoyed it so much that they bought a unit in the towers immediately.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We booked a 2 bedroom condo through TAN in the Five Seasons, 4000's building, 3rd Floor. The living room had been recently updated with hard wood floor, new paint, flat screen TV and furniture. The kitchen cabinets and bathrooms could use some updating still, but the room was fine for us and had everything we needed. There is a small balcony with 2 chairs and a table too.
The resort area is large, there are 3 buildings in the front right by the beach, then the Five Seasons are farther back, about a 5-10 min walk depending on what building and how fast you walk. It really doesn't seem as far as it sounds though because I was expecting to be farther away than we were. We had bikes and a kid trailer with us, so we put the 2 kids and our beach stuff in there and rode to the beach and pools which worked out really nice. The pool areas are wonderful...there is a large oceanfront pool, an outdoor pool by the tower rooms, an indoor pool in a building near the beach, one indoor/outdoor pool by our building and an outdoor pool by the 6000's rooms of the Five Seasons. Plus the great pool area in the middle of the resort with another pool, large lazy river, and kiddie pools (with sprayers and water dump buckets, etc). It was so nice to have a vareity to choose from and not have to go to the same pool everyday! The beach at the resort is wonderful as well. There is also a beach bar and grill right off the beach at the resort, sand volleyball net set up, and tennis courts. It's a gated resort and 24 security. The parking fee is minimal, only $5 for the whole week.
The area the resort is in is nice...right between Myrtle Beach and Surfside. It's also right in between 2 campgrounds. Since we had our bikes, we took a long bike ride one day into Surfside to look at all the gorgeous beach houses. Only about 5 minutes away from the new Market Common Entertainment Complex...there's a few streets of stores and restaurants now, but it's not nearly finished yet. There is a nice, brand new Piggly Wiggly grocery store there which was conveinent. (We ate most of our meals at the condo since that's easiest with a 3 yr old and 1 yr old, so we shopped here and at a WalMart Super Center that was only a couple minutes away as well.) We did go to Barefoot Landings and Broadway at the Beach...nice places to walk around, and the kids went on kiddie rides they had there. We also briefly went to Tanger Outlet on 501.
For the most part, we were just there for the beach, pools and nice weather. We'll be back to the resort again in the future, it really does have alot to offer.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank jakuzminski
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I sincerely do not get the negative reviews posted here. It's as if they are rating a completely different place from where I stayed for six great days and nights.

First, the location is perfect. It's away from the hustle and bustle of the heart of Myrtle Beach. But not too far. Everything you could want is within a ten mile radius. The range of restaurants spanned from fast food joints to elegant little seafood spots. Nobody visits Myrtle Beach for the shopping, but if you need anything there is a Super Walmart, Dollar Tree, and all the typical strip mall stores, along with the fun tourist trap places, very nearby.

As for the condo I rented, it was clean, tastefully decorated with a suitable lighthouse motif, and of ample size for a one bedroom unit. We were on the second floor in the Five Seasons section, and our balcony overlooked the pool and gazebo. Very relaxing. The Five Seasons section is a short walk from the beach and the majority of the pools. After reading some of these reviews, you would think it was an all day hike. We were ecstatic about being somewhat removed from the rest of the resort, as we truly enjoyed the tranquility and quiet. The kids who were in our area were respectful and quiet, for the most part. As quiet as one can expect young children to be. After all, this is a resort that caters primarily to young families.

The staff was helpful, kind and considerate. As for getting a friend permission to visit, getting a pass was a breeze. Just one short phone call got our friend in immediately. The fee was five dollars, and that was good for a few days! No hoops needed to be jumped through. None. We didn't even have to appear to say, "She's with us," or arrange anything in advance.

Our only regret was having only used half of the facilities. We were having so much fun that the week just seemed to have slipped by. We spent a lot of time in the lazy river, the various hot tubs, and at the big pool overlooking the beach. We also didn't get to explore the area. So we're going back in the spring!

For those of you who like luxurious timeshare condo vacationing, this may not be the place for you. If you don't like the sound of children, or if you are indolent, this is not your resort. As for me and my family, we foresee many happy future vacations at MBR.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family