Message from TripAdvisor:

“Bored staff, lazy housekeeping, dirty room, Quarter Deck grill served alcohol to my 13 year old son”

Myrtle Beach Resort
Ranked #67 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Midway, KY
Reviewed 4 July 2010

I took my 13 year old son for a quick Myrtle Beach get away. We checked in on a low traffic Thursday and out on Saturday. The check in staff got the job done but were not welcoming at all and volunteered no information about the resort although we told them we'd never stayed there before. I don't think they even smiled. The guards at the gate were the same. We always bring our own fold up cart to bring in our stuff but if we'd needed one from the building, we'd have been out of luck because there were none to be seen. The walk from parking was no big deal. We had an ocean front efficiency with a keypad lock which was handy. The hallways smelled of bacon, garlic and cigarettes throughout our stay...day and night. An out of date wicker swag lamp greeted us upon entry. The furnishings were cheery and nice in another lifetime...but now they are used up and dated. There were numerous nail holes in the walls with no artwork hanging on them. The two pictures on the walls were dirty. The bunk beds (which we weren't planning to use) had very thin pads, were very narrow and were wrapped in very worn blankets that I wouldn't use. There was no ladder or step up to the top bunk. The kitchen (we didn't use) was dated but looked like it would be functional. The refrigerator was newer and had a small icemaker that was slow to produce on day one but was better on day two. The queen bed with oceanfront picture window was kinda neat...but the peson sleeping on the inside had to climb over the person sleeping on the outside. The worn out bedding was for a twin size bed rather than a queen and there was no bottom sheet over the mattress pad. The bathroom was itty bitty but functional for our limited needs. There were plenty of towels, etc. that were bright white and soft. When we looked close, all the floors were dirty....sand and grunge in the corners everywhere, the carpet was matted and gross. We found the TV remote under the couch. The small balcony was fine for two of us but not functional for more people. Our room was directly above the Quarter Deck grill and bar which had live entertrainment throughout the day and a party atmosphere at night...we enjoyed listening to the music and watching from above and were pleased that the party ended promptly at closing time. I had a HUGE problem at the Quarter Deck when we went there for lunch. I ordered a virgin daquiri for my son and he was served a real daquiri which he took about 3 drinks from. About the time I figured out the mistake the waitress came over and told me it was the wrong drink and whisked it away...without, apology or any appropriate reaction to having served alcohol to a clear minor....then charged me for the drink. Check out was quick because all we did was tell our room number to the clerk...the first person to smile for us...maybe because they like it better when people leave.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Just returned home from a week at the Myrtle Beach Resort. Definately would give this place five stars. Extremely clean and very well maintained. It is situated about 2 miles from downtown Myrtle Beach so you are close enough to all of Myrtle Beach's attractions, but far enough away that you don't feel overwhelmed by the crowds. So many perks to the resort. Tons of pools, live music every night. Very child friendly. I cannot say enough good things about it and their staff is great!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We have been staying at Myrtle Beach Resort for years. Some of the condos need some repair and updating, and others are top notch. We have found the best values by renting directly from condo owners rather than through a rental agency. For the past several years, we have used www.vrbo.com, which stands for vacation rentals by owner.
Myrtle Beach Resort is a gated community with 3 oceanfront condo buildings. The grounds are beautifully maintained, flowers and palm trees. There are 6 or 7 pools, one on the oceanfront, a indoor one, and one that allows you to swim from indoors to outdoors. There is also a lazy river area that has a kids pool with buckets of spilling water and sprinklers. Our kids are too old for the kids area, but we all enjoy floating around the lazy river on the tubes they provide. There are also tennis courts, a basketball court, and playground. There's also a small convenience store, a tiki bar on the oceanfront, and snack bars by a couple of the pools. Very convenient.
The 2-bedroom condo we rented was 514B, which was wonderful! It was recently remodeled, according to the owner, and tastefully decorated in beachy colors. Each room had a flat screen TV. There were adequate dishes and cooking utensils in the kitchen -- not a given with some of the condos we've rented. The beds were comfortable. There was tall furniture on the balcony so you could look out over the ocean while you ate breakast or enjoyed an afternoon drink.
If you're thinking about renting at Myrtle Beach Resort, ask for pictures. Some of the condos are great, others need some work. We plan to rent 514B again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Hartland
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We just stayed a week at this resort thru the TAN network (stayed in 529 - bldg B). It was clean, decent, a tad bit dated, but no issues at all.

Check in was easy, although instead of renting beach chair & umbrella - just bring your own and save $$.

Broadway at the Beach is a nice play to eat, shop, and do the Aquarium.

We also did a Dolphin Watch boat ride, thru Capt Dicks. It was nice, but not what the ad showed in the book we had. It was a raft boat (like a coast guard boat). It all went fine, but not what I thought I booked (I thought I booked a dinner cruise type boat with restrooms).

We will return to this resort again in the future - although I may try to get a more updated unit next time (even though this unit worked out fine). Thanks,

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank WisconsinHartland
New York
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This was a winter rental from Nov - Mar that I thought would be a wonderful peaceful time. I especially booked this hotel because of the internet service. I am disabled and stay inside most of the time.

On November 15th the internet service was canceled with NO NOTICE to the guests. When I called to inquire about what was wrong with it, they told me they were upgrading the system and it wouldn't be back on that week. Well, it didn't get back on until the end of January. That's right 2 1/5 months without internet service. Then sporadic service for the next month. I complained that it was unfair of them to collect the entire rent without providing the services they advertised and management told me that it was like one of the amenity's breaking down and there was nothing they could do about it. If I deducted any money from my rent they would evict me and I would lose the $900 security deposit they took from me.

I was in an oceanfront unit in the towers. The first time I went to throw my garbage out (in the garbage chutes at the end of the hall) the stench was so unbearable that I almost threw my guts up. I went to the office and asked if there was another option and they told me that I could throw my garbage in any pail on the property or the dumpsters. From that day on I used the garbage pails in the large parking lot. After 4 3/4 months on the last week of my stay I got a notice from security that I was no longer allowed to throw my garbage in the pails - even though it says I could right in the "rules and regulations" I was given at check in.

As I mentioned, I am disabled. Well, this is not the place to rent if you have a handicapped sticker and need a close parking spot. They have very little handicapped spots and none of them are within close proximity of the front door. Don't even think about parking in the 20 minute spots that are right up to the door, or security will be calling you up to move your car. And if you have a guest come to visit, make sure they leave by midnight or they will have to go back to the security gate to get a new parking pass for the next day. These asinine rules only made my stay less enjoyable than it already was.

Now back to my security deposit. Even though my rent was only $600 a month (another reason I chose this place) they asked for $900 in security. Apparently, this is a scam to keep and use guests money for their own use. Even though they had my unit rented out the same day that I left, they would not return my deposit until 30 days after I left. On the 30th day they called me to ask if I wanted to come and pick it up. Are you kidding, I'm in NY! Another way to keep my money even longer. I had to call the Magistrates office to get my money back. After I cleaned the unit better than what it was like when I rented it, they had the nerve to take out money to clean it.

Other annoying things about my stay: Security did nothing about the loud kids on the beach at 2 a.m. even though they have an 11:00 curfew for children. The deck by the outdoor bar was in repair the entire time I was living there and could not be used, not to mention the hammering at 8 a.m. every morning. The laundry was a joke with broken down machines and the dryers that took $1.75 for 40 minutes and didn't dry completely in that time, so you are forced to put in another $1.75 for a few more minutes. Flooding parking lots with every rain storm. A half mile walk from the parking lot to the oceanfront units. Elevator that never worked, repair men everywhere. and filthy rooms that they say are "clean" and "updated".
Do not rent from these thieves. The place is outdated, old and decrepit. They treat their guests horribly. Management leaves a lot to be desired. I've never had such a terrible experience in a winter rental in my life. I will never deal with these people again. They should be condemned for the filth and put out of business for their untruthful advertising and criminal business practices.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank Freetotravel2

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Ohio
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We have not had a good experience with TAN for the most part but this time was different. The Myrtle Beach Resort was wonderful. The location worked well for us. Not too close to town but right on the beach with plenty to do. Bring your own equipment for the basketball court and putting green. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the second floor of the condo section farthest from the beach. The laundry facilities outside of the unit were clean. The unit itself was clean and comfortable with all kitchen amenities. The grounds were well kept and all pools (there are many of them) were wonderful. The best was the pool with the lazy river. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OhioMeisje
ontario
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I took my 3 children to Myrtle Beach and stayed at the Myrtle Beach Resort. I arrived at 1:00pm after paying an extra $50. for a early check-in of noon. Upon entering our room there was a foul odour of garbage, dirty diapers. The room was dirty, the shower leaking and obviously I thought the room was not ready so I called the front desk only to be told the room had been cleaned. I told them there were 3 bags of garbage, one on the couch and the others in the bedroom the were obviously forgotten by housekeeping, there was also no toilet paper. The front desk manager assured us the room had been cleaned and told me she would send housekeeping right up. Well no one ever showed up. We had to take all the garbage bags to the bins, which were left in the halls uncovered and foul smelling. We had to clean the room completly before bringing our bags in. The shower head barely let any water out only a trickle, maintenance came to fix the cable but they left as they said "it was too big of a job". Then later on we tried the internet and had to go physically down to get the login information, something that should have been shared with us upon arrival. Two days later I went to see the manager which I was denied after speaking to the front desk manager. After seeing that I was not leaving she took me into the back offices where the manager was and opened a separate office for us to see her in. The back offices were just as bad as the rooms, dirty with junk laying all over the place. The manager was ignorant and told us to leave if we didn't like it, but of course refused to give me a refund otherwise I would have left in a second. Nothing was open. They advertised daily towel changes and a lazy river with a heated pool (the picture of the pool was outside. Well the lazy river was closed she told me as it was not vacation time. The heated pool was an oversized bathtub about a 5min walk away, which wasn't open all of the time. I could go on and on, but just beware as this resort which is all parking lot and condos falsely shows the resort as being child friendly. There was nothing for the kids to do. The pool was 60 and cold and dirty. Make sure you check reviews and talk to people before booking from something you see on-line, I will never make this mistake again. Then they wanted me to clean the room upon departure, I told them I left the room as I found it, but really it was much better. These rooms should be condemned.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family