“Will think again before staying here”
Review of Mystic Sea Resort

Mystic Sea Resort
Ranked #124 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This motel/resort has much work to be done on it. They could do alot more for the place if they just replaced a bunch of things. Like Drapes, bedspreads, rugs, etc.The furnishings are old. Dressers are from the 70's and much of the appointments are too. The outside is deceiving, it looks quite nice, and updated but not the inside rooms. First of all, the owners arent very friendly, the pool and hot tub never really looked clean, the returned on the pools didn't work very well. Inside the rooms were less than updated. We have stayed here before and every year I think that it will be updated and it isn't. My friend who stayed next door found bugs in her stove. Don't know what kind but don't need that!!! Our showers and tub leaked and was all over the floor, and black water came up in the drain, uuugh. So we will find another place to stay at. Not mb either, we decided that it is not what we want in a vacation, we like peace and quiet, not crowds and sirens, and may I add Helicopters going over ever five minutes, there is a business that has helicopter rides for $20 , and its located right near the Mystic seas motel, so if you want to lay on the beach or lawn area, its NOISY! We will go somewhere next year. We also paid 1,100 dollars for 2 weeks, that isnt alot of money, but you get what you pay for. Also the WIFI was terrible, I picked up the signal from a nearby hotel next door instead of where I was staying!

Room Tip: Higher floors tend to be more private, we stayed in an ocean front next to the pool, it was not priv...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank lovetheocean076

Reviewed 20 October 2012

my family has stayed here many of times. you meet the best people from all over the united states and canada. this is a top of the line resort. from front desk to cleaning staff and security staff, very friendly always willing to help with anything.most people are return guest year after year then start bringing more family and more friends. always clean always friendly see you all in july if not sooner dan schuyler greenfield indiana

Room Tip: side room are best
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Hollyshuyler
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I shared a room with my parents for 5 nights at this hotel. It is a small hotel compared to the huge ones that surround it. We had a coupon from the visitor center of SC, which offered a discount. We paid only 70 dollars a night for the 3 of us. When we decided to stay an extra night after the 4 we already spent, we only had to pay 20 dollars for the extra night. This was because of some special price they had for 5 nights. They did not have to do this, very nice of them!

Front desk was friendly, there were benches in front of the rooms where you could sit and have a smoke. Plenty of chairs on the lawn facing the beach. The pool was a bit small (and cold), but the ocean was amazing. One downside is that they do not have many umbrella's, but I guess you can buy a cheap one yourself.

I would stay here again, it is very clean and affordable

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank smattijs
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We've been staying at the Mystic Sea for several years and never consider staying anywhere else. It's clean and staff is helpful. It is not for those looking for 5 star quality. The only improvement I would like to see is the wireless internet..I did better connecting to a hotel a block down then I could with the hotel's own.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank stratcat45
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We are a family of 6 (2 adults and 4 kids under 10). This was a spare of the moment trip for one night so we did not have hotel/motel reservations. I found out about Mystic Sea from the discount hotel booklet you can get at the SC Welcome Center. I called them and since they had a lot of vacancies they quoted me a price less than what they had advertised (and less than what was on the outside marquee) which was nice. For those with bad/terrible reviews, it is acceptable to ask the front desk person to see the room before you commit to staying (and paying). That is what I did and our room was fine. This is an older property but our room was clean and well kept. There are even benches outside the rooms. The cleaning crew even swapped out dirty towels twice for us in one day since the kids went to the beach several times and then came in to shower. They were helpful and assisted with a smile. The pool and jacuzzi were also clean. I saw the guy clean it twice in one day. This is a nice place to stay when on a budget.

Room Tip: We stayed in 210 and it was fine for us.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We decided to stay at the Mystic Sea because 15 years ago as kids we came here as a family and it seemed like a good value. We werent looking for chocolates on our pillows or room service so we thought as a family we would give the Mystic Sea another try. I would like to start off with the positives first. We stayed across the street in the Courtyard Condos. We had 2 condos on the lower level that both had a living room, full kitchen, and 2 bedrooms. There was one Queen bed and one room with 2 Double beds. We had a total of 8 people so this was actually a good size place. The location is great and within walking distance of restaurants and mini-golf. They also have a nearby convenience store and a couple places for ice cream. The beach access is pretty close. The pool and hottub are across the street also by the ocean front rooms. The staff was friendly, and housekeeping always had fresh towels for us in the mornings. Our main complaint was the cleanliness of this place. It was filthy. I'm not going to sugarcoat it. My feet were black after one evening of walking on the carpets and tile. The furniture was stained, old, and broken. The kitchen chair seat covers were ripped and chairs were wobbly. The appliances were very old but still worked okay. The bathroom was dingy and dirty. The blinds in both rooms were broken so people walking by could see in. All the faucets dripped. Anything you plugged into an outlet would instantly fall out which was very dangerous. The sheets were dirty. It would not take much to bring this place to a higher rating. My family and I will not be returning here next year. It's a shame because all the wrong things could be easily fixed. It needs some TLC. New carpet, new furniture, new blinds, and fix up the bathrooms. The Mystic Sea has such great potential, but it doesn't seem like the owners have noticed or want to spend the money to bring it back to what it once was.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Krysten F
Reviewed 13 July 2012

My family and I checked into the Mystic Sea because my mom had stayed here last year and said it was " not too bad". When we first arrived I noticed how dirty it was the bathroom floor had hair and dirt everywhere and most of the surfaces looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a while. I checked out the mattresses and upon no evidence of bedbugs, decided to give it a try. Our oceanfront room turned out to be in front of yhe staircase completly blocking the ocean. We didnt even have a bench or chair.The next day we went out to the beach. That evening while getting ready, I couldn't find my earrings. I looked everywhere and my mom verified that she had also seen them the night before. I immediately went to the desk to complain and the front desk worker who looked like a kid said he would see who cleaned our room. The next day the maid came by and said how she would never do such a thing. I was willing to believe her. They were not expensive but had been in the bottom of my suitcase whicheans "someone" would have had to gone through my things. The third night while packing, I found two bugs in my suitcase. There were huge beetles everywhere outside. The pool and jacuzzi were dirty. The parking is terrible!!!! The manager never contacted me about my stolen property. The only good thing about this hotel is the red head guy that watches the lots at night. Really nice and helpful in finding you a place to park. I would not reccomend this hotel and WILL NOT ever be staying here. Please dOnt waste your money.

• Stayed: July 2012