Message from TripAdvisor:

“Really enjoyed our stay”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #154 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Really enjoyed our stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed here for vacation In sept and I was a little nervous because of the reviews but check it went really good we stayed on the 6th floor our room was very clean and well maintained. The balcony was very clean and spacious, all the staff was very nice they even gave us directions to help us find some of the attractions we wanted to do. All these bad reviews on here, don't let them worry you this was a great resort and our family would defiantly stay here again!! Also the waterpark is really nice and the pools are very clean I have no complaints!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Jennb112589

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Laurens, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This place was very disappointing! Booked a weekend trip for our family. It looked very nice online and the main attraction was the waterpark and all of the free amenities included. Arrived to check in and noticed that the lobby was not well maintained. I specified during the reservation and at check in that we wanted a smoke free room. Opened the door and the musty smoky smell hit us in the face. Called down and told them room was unacceptable. It was not very clean looking and looked very old and run down. Water stains on ceilings and walls and ceiling tiles crumbling. Offered us another room in the SAME BUILDING!!! I told her no!!! They put us in another room in another building. Wasn't the greatest but 10 times better than the one before. Very poor customer service. Asked to speak to manager and waited and waited. Never showed. Left my number and still no call. Called the desk the next morning and was transferred to voice mail. Left a message and still no phone call!!! We will never go back to this God-awful place. Oh and the free amenities that say is included with your stay on their website, is a lie!

Room Tip: Entire place looks like it is crumbling around you!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Pam W

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel is horrible. Do NOT spend the money for this awful place. When booking the room we were told that our room was ocean front but when we checked in we were told it's ocean view not ocean front. The first might I slept in the bed that pulls out of the closet, it was dirty and dusty in the closet so I decided to sleep with my head facing the opposite way. There were only pillows stuck in the closet to use and an old, dirty blanket with holes in it to cover myself. The pull out bed from the couch didn't have any sheets on it.
I woke up the next morning with over 50 bug bites all over my legs and feet. We searched the mattress and reported the bites to house keeping when they arrived, and requested a clean blanket.
The housekeeping was very helpful and took our complaint seriously, however when a maintenance worker arrived to search the bed he simply took the sheets with him and said he would send an exterminator to the room and that the room needs to be vacant while they are doing that .
We were offered to change rooms to a side view tower, after paying for an ocean view tower and refused .
The customer service was awful, how can you expect your guest to sleep on a bed after an exterminator comes and also to not be allowed to use the hotel until an exterminator comes?
We all grabbed our belongings and headed to the beach to wait for them to send an exterminator who never came!!
I headed to the front desk later in the day to again, request a clean blanket. But after both couch and closet pull outs being stripped of sheets, I requested two blankets and was told they could only provide me with one blanket. I told them about what had happened and that I did not feel comfortable sleeping on only a mattress after I woke up with bites, and the front desk simply stated "they're on their way up right now" after getting back to the room we called guest services again to report the problem and requested a clean blanket, and the guest services attendant hung up on us!!!
I will never in my lifetime stay at this awful place again. The customer service was horrible and I'm sure there are bugs crawling around all over. Do NOT stay here! Awful awful place. The view does not make up for the problems.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Raiiny00
new jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

The location is perfect on the beach and that's where it ends! We had to beg for towels and there was always another reason as to why they didn't have any. The ice machine on our floor was broken for the entire week!!! The lobby had tiles missing. The elevators did not always work properly. The place could be nice if they just did regular maintenance every day. The room was a nice size, however, the maids did not always do a great job cleaning. It is definitely run down and needs some TLC!!!! It is close to stores, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank shop4ever
Awendaw, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We have been there twice now and stayed in two diffant part and both places clean and the workers there were nice pools were clean. they even have a 8 foot deep pool inside. You get so much for your money. Can't wait to go back.We said on the 11th floor in tower2 is was so cool.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank doarroadgranny7
columbia, sc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you're a fan of 1980's decor, peeling exterior paint on the building and pool area, large cracks on the pool deck, outside signs that are in several different font styles, an indoor pool which your kids will resemble coal miners because the floors are so dirty, horribly slow elevators.....if that is what you "enjoy" on a vacation, then Sands Resorts Ocean Dunes is just the place for you.

The Rawcliffe Companies spare no expense in maintaining a lousy corporate owned place. take a look in the bathrooms with the mold on the mirrors on the first floor and you'll be welcomed "in style"

1980 was a good time for some things, but this place has gotta get with the times. The towers off the beach far better since they are owned by individual owners. Beach front, bad news.

Room Tip: choose somewhere ele
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank canes06cup
Proctorville, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed here Labor Day Weekend 2013 and the room was filthy. Even though they had new countertops on dresser and kitchenette, they neglected to make anything else nicer. The ceilings were dirty all the way down to the floors. I know they don't usually shampoo carpets frequently, but I don't think they've ever been cleaned! My 2 year old ran around with bare feet and they were black within a few minutes so we kept socks or sandals on him the rest of our stay. We bought bleach and sprayed down the bathroom and should've bought a wet swiffer because the tile was DIRTY. I guarantee our sheets weren't washed because they had mascara on one set and something yellowish on the other set. We requested new sheets and put them on ourselves. We luckily brought our own blanket so we removed the 1980's comforters of each bed and used our blanket. We also bought pillows from Dollar General to be on the safe side. If you needed to dial another room#, you had to CALL the front desk and get an extension #, which was a completely different # from the room #! What kind of system is that!?!?!
The pool was NASTY looking and needed to be cleaned out.
Also, there were dogs (large and small) all over the place! Most of them were on leashes but as we were checking out of our room, one large mutt ran into our room while I was holding my 4 month old! I like dogs but I don't trust any dog, especially around my kids! The owner's 10 year old son came running in to get him and the owner just laughed it off and didn't even apologize. I never really had a problem with the staff but I was never greeted with a friendly face the whole time there.

Overall, the place is really old, outdated and cheap looking. The Sands Resort (their sister resort) next door was newer and in better looking shape. They even had a decent lazy river and water park for the kids! The only reason we stayed there was because of a family reunion but we'll NEVER set foot near there again!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family