Message from TripAdvisor:

“Just Average”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #152 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent Valentine's weekend at the Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas. Our oceanfront room was nice and very comfortable. Having said that, there was a lot that wasn't so great. There was a coffee pot, but no cups. There was an ice bucket, but no glasses. Fortunately, we carry our own with us. When we asked at the desk where the ice machine was, we were told the ice machines had been turned off because of the cold weather, but if we walked to the Sand Dunes next door, they would give us ice. The man at the Sand Dunes was very nice and did not hesitate to fill our ice bucket. On our second trip to get ice, we were told by another guest that the ice machine on the 7th floor was working and full of ice. Our room was on the 4th floor. Sure enough, there was plenty of ice on the 7th floor. Housekeeping kept our room clean everyday, but omitted to leave any extra toilet paper. There was a half a roll when we first checked in and by the end of the 2nd day, it was getting very low. We had to ask at the desk for another roll. Also, the coffee pot was a normal sized pot. We were provided with one pack of regular coffee and one of decaf (we don't drink decaf). When coffee was made using the regular coffee, it was so weak you could read the newspaper through it. When my husband asked at the desk for more, he was given 2 additional packs the second day we were there. We were there for 3 nights. When he asked again, he was told they were out of coffee. The front desk people were not especially friendly. We were given the impression we were interrupting or bothering them. There was a washer and dryer on our floor that were outside, no folding area and they charged you to use them. I'm not even sure they would work being outside in the salt air. On the positive since, this hotel is very pet friendly. The grounds around the hotel were kept in good shape.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SweetMolly
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review about your stay.

Sounds like your stay was good overall, but with a few details we most certainly can improve on.

If you will please send us your reservation date and room we would like to investigate these issues further.

Thank you for visiting Sands and we do hope you return.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

You know I try and give people (and companies) the benefit of the doubt. That being said I thought I would stay at this place to see what was going on with all the bad reviews. The marketing staff just comments "oh sorry you had a bad stay, give me your room number so we can do nothing about it" This is unhelpful and pointless. If you are going to reply to a comment, why don't you say what you have done to fix the issues brought up?
That’s because nothing has been done to fix the problems and the only way they make money is to continue to exploit new customers. It’s really sad, because it's a great location. Hey marketing staff, what are you going to do to fix these issues?

1. Manager is rude and will not even speak to the guests
2. Your maid staff is also rude and doesn't do there job
3. Your hotel is infested with cockroaches
4. Most of the AC units for the rooms don't work
5. Almost none of the hallways in the hotel are air conditioned
6. Most rooms smell like a combination of mold, mildew and body odor
7. Your carpet appears as if it has not been replaced since the early 1980’s

Please address these issues on trip advisor for all to see. Responding with "please give me your room number and name so we can rectify the problem" doesn’t help anything but sweep the comment under the rug. If your serious about customer service (like hotels are meant to be) respond to this comment with a real answer not a canned response that isn't worth the time you took to type it
Thx
Gregg

Room Tip: Serious changes need to be made before you should stay here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Steve M

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience on your vacation

And yes, it does help If you could send us your reservation date and room # so we can know what unit you were in. This helps us better to fix these issues.

We will be investigating these issues further. Again, thank you for staying with us at Sands and bringing these issues to our attention. We do hope you expressed these concerns with the Front Desk. It is not common practice for the manager on duty, NOT speak with a guest with concerns. We will look into this as well.

We do hope you give our resort another chance to make the next experience an awesome one.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I visited this hotel 5 times we really love the place but my last stay was a nightmare!!! First of all i made reservations for the villa but to my surpise was told that " no mamm you will be staying in the towers 2'. the front desk staff was very rude I would have left but my grandchildren were very excited about being there so i asked to speak with the manager and was told SHE IS VERY BUSY AND WILL CALL YOU WHEN SHE CAN...Ok so that should have been my red flag. welll we get to the room and there was no towels or washclothes.I called the front desk and received them at 9pm thank goddness I pack some.Well the next day when housekeeping came to the room all they did was take the trash out they told me they only make the beds when we check out..So the 3rd day I had to request more towels I called at 11am , 1pm, 4pm 7pm than i get a knock on the door and the housekeeper was very rude and yes she said to me " WHAT DID YIU DO WITH THE TOWELS I LEFT I KNOW I PUT SOME ON THIS BED HERE' pionting to the bed. I was to angry to even speak to her I called the front desk and spoke with the lady ( dont remember her name) and told her what happen and she told me OH SHE WAS HAVING A BAD DAY IM SORRY ABOUT THAT and giggled. Can you image being accused of taking hotel towels???? that are paper thin really. I didnt want to curse because i had my grands I wasnt even going to write this review but my grands are asking to go back again as i said before we visit at least twice a year but i dont THINK SO BEWARE.YOU WONT GET THE ROOM YOU WERE PROMISED AND THEY ARE RUDE. there must be a change in management because I have been a true ocean and sand dunes customer until now..

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jamie S
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review. We are very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience on your last trip. If you could send us your reservation date and room we would like to investigate these issues further. Thank you for being a loyal Sands guest and we hope you come back again. We are sorry you experienced rude staff we would like you to know that this is not normal and thank you for letting us know!

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We have lived here for the winter...the front desk staff is awesome!! Too bad they are not under better management. .I have called to be ignored, been in the lobby, only to be treated like i don't exist..Sadly, i have had much better luck calling the owner in MARYLAND, who by the way pays this place to poorly manage his property.He is very kind and i have no issues with him except maybe he should reconsider a rental program. Just wondering because i also do customer service and guest relations. ..is this how they treat all of their guest??? The room is spotless, location is awesome and front desk staff courteous...too bad they can't get this part straight

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank lizabeth37

Thank you for taking your time to leave us a review. If you could please inbox us the room and reservation you are staying under. It sounds like you may be renting from a private owner? Regardless, we are very sorry that you feel our management team has not met your standards. We thank you for making us aware of this issue.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

A warning to possible guests: you are charged a $50 cancellation fee if you cancel your reservation. I booked in December and canceled this week, and my check-in is Jan. 16. $50 cancellation fee for canceling more than a week before my check-in!

Seems completely absurd to me!

Ocean Dunes should change its policy. I can't wrap my mind around why a customer would be penalized $50 for canceling so far away from the actual stay. Whether I was canceling 98 hours from check-in or two months from check-in: $50 processing fee.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank ChestyM

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, this is a common practice among many hotels. We clearly state this in our confirmation information and when the reservation is made. We do hope you understand that this is a normal practice for the industry. We are sorry to hear your disappointment.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend. We had an ocean view room with two double beds. The first thing we noticed when checking into the room was the smell...it smelled very musty and like it had not been used in a while. We went and purchased some air fresheners and placed them around the room to make it smell better. There were brackets on the wall for a flat screen TV, however, it had been removed and we had one of the older TV's sitting on the dresser. There was a TV remote in the room, however, it didn't work with our TV. Several light bulbs were out in the lights and the in-room safe was broken. There was also mold in the bathroom. The hotel seemed to be very outdated...the ice machine near our room was missing and one elevator didn't work the entire time we were there. The pool area was very nice and we enjoyed that.

I think this could be a nice place to stay if it were better maintained and updated some.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TCSC
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Please let us know what name your room was booked under so we may fix the issues in that unit. We also hope you alerted our front desk of your issues when you were here, as we can address many of those at that time. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your experience. The next time try our Sand Dunes property, located right next door. Thank you for your feedback!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I was very disappointed with Ocean Dunes. We booked online for one price and had to pay another price once we got there. There was a dead roach in our room when we checked in, and several baby roaches crawling around. We asked several times to speak with a manager, but the manager never showed up. The housekeeping never came to clean our room or replace our towels. This hotel is old and dirty and does not care about customer service. I do not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. We are still waiting on a phone call from the manager.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this hotel. You will have to keep going through room to find a clean one. Find anot...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank 1angrycustomer

We are very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. Please forward us your information so we may look further into your issues. The price online does not include the taxes and resorts fees which are paid at the time you check in, this may be why the price was different when you arrived. We are very sorry you did not receive great customer service, as this is something we try very hard to excel at. We hope that you will try one of our other properties. Thank you for your feedback!