Message from TripAdvisor:

“Why is Housekeeping so difficult for the Ocean Dunes?”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #154 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pennsylvania
“Why is Housekeeping so difficult for the Ocean Dunes?”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have been coming to the Ocean Dunes for several years now and this is our third review of the property. As stated in previous years, there has been some improvement with the grounds and pool/water attraction maintenance. Last year we actually saw some improvement with Housekeeping over the year prior, but this year it appeared to be ground zero again.

As stated in our other reviews, you do not stay at the Ocean Dunes for the accommodations or customer service. You stay here because of the water amenities, activities for the children, and included attraction admissions with your stay. You will save a lot of money. Our advice to you, which has helped us survive at the Ocean Dunes these last few years, is to bring your own towels, soap, shampoo, and pillow cases. You should be good to go then. The rooms are extremely basic and really not too desirable.

We just don’t understand Housekeeping! Many, many reviews on Trip Advisor over the past three to four years have complained continuously about the lack of Housekeeping (whether general cleanliness or with supplied items). We had the opportunity to speak to other guests at the Ocean Dunes throughout the week and Housekeeping was complained about time and time again. It did not matter if it was the Towers, Main Building, or the Villas (we spoke to guests in different buildings and have personally stayed in different buildings ourselves). The issue is pervasive throughout the resort. What is the problem? A Bad Year? OK. Two years? No Way! Three Years? Unacceptable! The manager who responds in Trip Advisor always asks for a reservation confirmation number to “address the issue”. Fine, if that would solve the issue and show improvement. However, nothing has really been addressed in three years with any consistency! It is the # 1 complaint of the resort. If you cannot run a Housekeeping Program Effectively… End it! Subcontract out! Hire a professional cleaning company, add a $50 departure cleaning fee to everyone’s rate, and offer some type of linen package. This Housekeeping Issue needs to be fixed! Understandably, the summer is nuts for any type of change. However, come September, someone at Ocean Dunes needs to make this the # 1 priority for the resort in 2015 and have every single room spotless by spring or subcontract the service out if you cannot manage it or lack the resources to hire staff.

Ocean Dunes has the potential to be a great resort with a great property and, what could be, desirable accommodations. Housekeeping must be addressed beginning in the fall with clear, attainable goals set and articulated to the staff with accountability from supervisors and fidelity with procedures. If you cannot do it, it is time to contract with someone who can. You cannot afford anymore negative comments about this situation. No more excuses. Fix it!

Room Tip: Bring Your Own Towels, Pillowcases, Soap, & Shampoo!
3 Thank Family122
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our post-stay survey. As we are continually trying to improve our operations, your detailed feedback provides us with the opportunity to gain valuable information. We greatly appreciate the feedback.

We will certainly share all of these concerns with our hotel management team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Was so looking forward to staying here with the kids on our first trip to MB but this resort is really run down. Wanted to stay in 6062 but could not get that unit and asked for a recently renovated room at the front desk. After three units each one looking worse than the last and none of them looking like they were renovated in the last 20 years we decided to make the best of it and suck it up. Old fixtures, old furniture, broken kitchen cabinets, non working bathroom faucets...I could probably go on. I wish I had heeded the poor reviews but thought asking for an updated unit would guarantee a decent room but I guess 'renovated' is a subjective term!

• Stayed July 2014

We apologize for not being able to secure you the room you requested. When we are at full capacity it is a bit more difficult to do this.

We do hope you will return to our resort so that we may show you a happy experience and provide you the room you desire. Thank you again

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Indian Trail, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I don't feel I am a very picky person, but I do require safety and cleanliness at the places I choose to stay. I expressed on my reservation that my daughter has asthma brought on by allergies and so the room needed to be very clean. What happened when we checked in was this...The first room we checked in to seemed ok for the five minutes we were in it when we realized that the locks on the back door and front door did not work. A problem, yes especially since it was myself, my mother in-law and my two children that would be staying. So we complained and they nicely enough moved us to a different room after much hubbub of where to put us. The second room (a more expensive one) was filthy, the carpet was stained the furniture was stained and the worst part was that in the bathroom on the shower stall door there was thick black mold growing up it. We went back to the office and complained again. They then informed us that no one was there who could clean it, nor did they have any other rooms available and would we just like to go back to the room with the broken locks! At this point I was ready to lose it. Not only was I angry, but I was very embarrassed that this happened on a trip where I alone had planned it to go with my mother in-law. When I asked for a refund they did not bat an eye except to tell me that it would take time for my bank to release the funds (and apparently this happens there all the time). AVOID THIS HOTEL!

Room Tip: Do not stay here
3 Thank Valerie D
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We apologize that the room we initially placed you in had broken locks.

A bit concerned that this issue could not be resolved by maintenance.

Could you email us your room and reservation# so that we can look into this unit?

We are relieved to know that you were given a refund for your trouble

marketing@sandsresorts.com
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is filthy. There are roaches in the rooms, there are leaks in the ceiling, I was able to find one working ice machine in the entire place, you have to call everyday to get your room turned over by housekeeping, the wi-fi is terrible, and the staff could care less about any of the issues listed above including the hotel manager. They will promise you the world to get you off their backs and then fail to deliver on those promises. I will never return to this hotel and I highly suggest that anyone considering a visit here run the other way.

1 Thank Jason A
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This place is a real dump. This must be one of the nasty resort in Myrtle Beach. I made a terrible mistake to bring my family there. I was attracted by the water park but the resort is dirty, staff is terrible and could not careless.

1 Thank Sebastien T
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post a review. As we are continually trying to improve our operations, your detailed feedback provides us with the opportunity to gain valuable information. We greatly appreciate the feedback.

We are displeased to hear that you feel our Resort is not to your expectations.
We do hope you will return again for another stay at Sands so that we may show you an enjoyable experience.
Reviewed 29 June 2014

f you love rooms filled with trash and enjoy dealing with rude staff, this is the place for you! I had low expectations to start given the price but the Ocean Dunes really lowered the bar. Let's make a list of all the things that were horrible about our stay this past week, shall we? 1. We checked in and opened our curtains only to find beer cans all over our balcony. 2. The bed was broken and completely on a slant. We kept rolling sideways and finally had to wedge pillows under us to keep from falling out of the bed. 3. The next morning, someone from housekeeping barged into our room at 10:40....20 minutes before checkout and told us we needed to leave so she could clean the room. I politely reminded her we were checking out and asked her to come back at 11. She left and then barged back in 5 minutes later and demanded we leave. It's a good thing we were dressed at the time. I had just gotten out of the shower. 4. The manager Eddie. What can I even say about this guy. As bad as the stay was, we weren't going to complain until we were kicked out of our room by the maid. As we checked out, we asked for the manager and had the pleasure of meeting one of the most ignorant human beings on the planet...Eddie. As we calmly explained what happened, he just looked at us with a blank stare. He said nothing. I finally had to ask him what they would do to make it up to us. He still said nothing. I asked him if he was going to refund us the last 20 minutes of our stay. He still said nothing. I asked him if I was wrong and if this was just how the Ocean Dunes treats its guests. And then like magic, Eddie finally spoke. "All I can offer is an apology." OK, and what else? "All I can offer is an apology," he said again. I asked him if he had the phone number for management. "All I can offer is an apology," he said again. Keep in mind, he never did apologize. He said he could offer one but then never did. I then asked him if he expected us to ever come back after this type of service. "All I can offer is an apology." With that, we left the premises and proceeded to spend the rest of our vacation elsewhere, all while humorously mocking Eddie the entire week. I guess that's the one good thing about this horrible visit. "All I can offer is an apology" will now be our inside joke until we die. All I can offer is an apology

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Shawn L
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The front guest workers were very disrespectful. They gave me a double non ocean view room when I was suppose to receive a king ocean front room. The dresser drawers were broke. One of the beds we're broke. The hot water never worked when we needed to take showers. Not once did the staff apologize for any I convience we received. The only thing I loved about this Hotel was the worker that worked the be. He was very apologetic about everything and served us very well. We will never stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
We apologize that you did not have a happy experience during your anniversary stay with us.

If you will please email us your room and reservation number, we would like to look into this matter.

Please use email marketing@sandsresorts.com