Message from TripAdvisor:

“Good location, dated old facility, high rise facing ocean”

Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas
Ranked #152 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Although a good location on the beach, the facility is old and dated, especially the public spaces. We were there for a family reunion and some rooms were not clean when guests were checked in. The hospitality room was not open on Friday as paid for. Saturday the fire alarms went off twice in 12hours, no fire and no public address system to notify guests of status. The highlight of our stay was the breakfast buffet which was well done.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Sands R, Sands Digital Marketing at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. As we are continually trying to improve our operations, your detailed feedback provides us with the opportunity to gain valuable information.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

By far the worst experience in Myrtle Beach (and beyond) ! Booked two rooms that interconnect; South Tower # 623 and # 624 under the Sand Dunes logo and using its website..., only to find out that they are privately owned and horribly maintained !!! Had stayed in a different property owned by the same company in Myrtle Beach with a lot better experience.The manager of the hotel (to his credit, he tried to help) had hard time to answer the weird scheme; you book at the company's website and you end up in a privately owned apartment and completely different circumstances. Stay as far as you can from this facility ! A giant waste of money and vacation time, more so from our visitors from Canada ! These two units, we were told had a rating of D and F respectively and yes, they continue to be offered to vacationers like us ! Where to start; never cleaned/changed carpet other than "vacuumed", bottles of sodas under the bed, horrible, dirty looking couch, sliding balcony door that breaks your shoulder to close, leaking water from AC unit, NEVER changes air filter (better don't try too look at it), shower drain that doesn't work, Wi Fi that does not function.., What else, oh yes, the horrible chlorine smell from a hellhole called indoor pool, not properly marked very narrow parking deck with dirty concrete staircase, straight from a third world country... I hope I have shed enough light on this so called resort. Do yourselves a favor and stay away from it ! The reality is a far cry away from the fancy website that falsely advertises the name "resort", "waterpark", "clean room", etc. A very run down property that should not be in business of offering hard earned vacations to anyone ! I do not mind the old, I do mind a lot the dirty !!!

Room Tip: "Stay away from it !"
2  Thank Epirus H

We greatly appreciate the feedback.

We apologize that you were not happy with your accommodations and we are making sure the units you noted are being looked into immediately. These are perhaps owner rentals in which case we do not have full access to as far as cleaning and upgrading.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We came for a basketball tournament. The tournament sponsors picked the hotel. The rooms are very outdated and not well maintained. Sheets and towels need to be replaced. We were bitten horribly by bed bugs our first night and had to relocate to another hotel. Stay Away!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We greatly appreciate the feedback.

We apologize that you were not happy with your accommodations however we did not have a report of bed bugs. Can you please email us with the unit and reservation # so that we can look into this, thank you

marketing@sandsresorts.com

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the 2nd time, this summer, thinking we would make it our permanent vacation home. We checked in June 16, and checked out June 25th. On June 24th, we left our room for about an hour in the morning, when we returned, the housekeeper along with another strange man were in our room. I then discovered $450 missing from my wallet. I IMMEDIATELY reported this to hotel staff and they promised to take care of it. I was assured that day, and time and time again after that day that I would get ALL my money back. The man that was in my room was terminated and admitted to stealing $150 from me after initially denying it. The housekeeper never returned to work. After working with who i believe is the security specialist for over a month, they have now decided they will give back the $150 he admitted to taking. This was 2 days after the same man told me they got $400 of my $450 back and they will get it to me. I have made numerous attempts to contact many different people at this hotel and no one returns my calls or messages. No one once offered me a discount stay, or hardly apologized for what happened to me. Not to mention this was the ONLY money I had to my name!!!! This was after they were stingy about towels the whole time, the room was filthy and things were broken, had to keep calling maintenance. Two years ago when we stayed they put us in a beautiful room with an ocean view. This time we were in the back, couldn't see the ocean, and our service was terrible, now still dealing with this over a month later, I wouldn't recommend Ocean Dunes OR ANY Sands Resorts to ANYONE!!!!!!!! AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE!!!!!!

Room Tip: They lie about the rooms and most likely will not put you in a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Rayann W

We are beyond disappointed with these circumstances. We want to let you know the employee in question was immediately terminated.

Please email us your mailing address so that we can reimburse you the stolen monies.

marketing@sandsresorts.com

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I would NOT recommend this resort.
When I came to check in, the room reserved (2 bedroom apartment) had a "maintenance issue" so we had to stay for one night in 1 bedroom apartment. At that point I didn't care, I work in hospitality too and I know that things like that happen. But then this resort did everything wrong and they didn't care at all about making our stay a good one. I requested a crib when I made the reservation. I asked at check in if they had one, at what the receptionist said that they were going to send it to my room. Once in the room I had to call 3 times to ask for the crib. At that point my baby was crying because she was exhausted and she needed to sleep. The day we had to move rooms, the receptionist said that we were going to be able to move at 12, well be ended moving at 5 pm, after going to the reception almost 5 times and talking to the manager on duty, who by the way his answer was if you are not comfortable with it I give your money back. At that point I thought that everything was a joke and I couldn't believe how careless this resist was about a guest.
The cleaning was terrible. We did not receive service every day and there were garbage all over the resort.

1  Thank RedLoungeHostel

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We were so excited to travel to Myrtle Beach from Ontario Canada for 5 nights of fun , sun and relaxation this was a last minute adventure and I will never again do a last minute trip without doing my research on trip advisor. We spent almost 1000 us for a 5 night stay right on the ocean at the Ocean Dunes Resort.

We checked I around during 5:30 p.m. and the check in was very fast we were checked in by on each of the children programs leader and assigned our room. She gave us directiona to one of the many building go but we got lost. Ànother customer helped us out. We went up the elevator with not her family and we both got off at the same floor. We walked past our room and made our way back to find do out that the family we were on the elevator with were also checked I to the same to as us. So if 2left my husband with a screaming 3 year old and 9 year old with all our luggage waiting in a hot sticky hall while I went to get the problem straightened out. I stood in line of defense again and heard two customers complain about their room (or whatever man said there was blood of sheets, how nasty). It was my turn and the man said that the lady who served me alerted him of her mistake and he said sorry. The problem was easily fixed and we made it to our room. The girl who made the mistake looked at me and smiled but no apology

We walked I to the room and the smell of must hits you. The pros of the room include
- spacious room for a family with two small kids
- 1.5 bathrooms
- small kitchen
- 2 flat-screen TV
2 phones
Silverware and dishes
Stainless steel pots
Ex Ellen wifI
The tickets to the Waten park but it is 22 km away from the hotel

Cons
The room is so dirty and it stinks
The carpet is so dirty your feet will be black
Housecleaning is not the best and varies if your room will get cleaned
Bathroom is nasty with mold
The tickets to the amusement park is in North Myrtle Beach and is very old. The employees were smoking pot behind some rides that were not working.not so ethical get I was my children around. We left pretty fast.

The room has a beautiful view of the ocean and our floor was very quiet.

Our safe was broken and a technician came and fixed it right away. They both fixed our bed frame that was sticking get out and was quite inches out from the wall. He attempted to fix the closet door but was not able to do. He asked me to put a work order in the next day. Why should I have to do this I asked . He said that it would get do easter since there were challenges I his department with supervisors . So I called the next morning going and the clost is still not fixed and it is our 4th day here.

Our third day here I had to call housekeeping get 4 times to get our bathroom cleaned since it had not been doNE since we arrived. Our towels were replaced daily but our sheets were never changed. We had no dishcloth or tea towel to do our dishes so I went out and bought some. I was told at the front to desk that they do not provide them but we had some on the third day. For such a large resort the employees are do not know a lot.

The pools were found fairly clean and the Waterpark on the resort is kid friendly for kids under the age of 10. You do not need to take towels to thw waterpark on the resort since they have small bath towels that you can use by turning in one of your badges you pick up in the Hall of Heros. (it is a photo card for the resort)

If you are considering staying gat this resort i would caution you! We are worldly travellers aND would never stay here again !!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1  Thank floydangel71

Regardless this is a reflection on our resort and is unacceptable.

Thank you again. We do hope you will return so that we can show you a happy experience at our resort.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

This place is stink, filthy,and dirty! Don't let them give you rooms 5511 and 5510, it should be condemn. We're here on vacation (July 20th). The refrigerator is rusty, the stove and oven looks like it was never, ever cleaned.. We moved to another villa, not much difference. What a mess. The ads are misleading! Don't even think about it, DON'T STAY HERE, YOU WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED AND BEYOND UPSET. PURE FILTH!

3  Thank Lavinia G
Sands R, san at Ocean Dunes Resort & Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you again.