“Very happy with our stay”

Ocean Park Resort, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #56 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
, North Carolina
“Very happy with our stay”
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Just returned from a five night stay at Ocean Park Resort. We were very pleased. It meant a lot to have our fur baby with us. The staff was very friendly and the rooms and hotel were so clean. You would never know there were dogs in the building. My only complaint was that while we did have a room with a full kitchen it was lacking an oven, only had a stove top. We cook in a lot and I missed that but I would most definitely stay again. Pools ans surrounding area was super clean. Enjoyed our stay!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure if want a full kitchen that it has an oven, not just the cook top as purs did.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Parkersburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Very nice family oriented hotel. Room was clean and comfortable. We were a little higher than we prefer, oceanfront view was nice though. Parking was on site which is always a plus. Front desk staff was excellent, housekeeping was average, almost everyday came early. They didn't have a problem with being sent away but when they came back they always forgot something in the bathroom, one day wash cloths, another toilet paper, another only left 2 towels instead of four. The Free Water Park was very sweet, the Kids loved it. The pool attendant was very nice and helpful. The beach chairs and umbrella's are very reasonably priced, pool towels were nice too except not always enough available. We would definitely stay again!

Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2013

My family of 5 visited MB for 4 days, 3 nights and we also decided to bring my 2 small dogs. I had made reservations by phone with Mary and she was awesome. Very friendly, very helpful. If you're bringing dogs, they'll need to approve the breeds first, also you'll have to bring something to contain them while you're gone (ie. a kennel/crate). I never crate my dogs at home and if I do, I just put up a octagonal pen for them. I asked Mary if this would be all right and she said it was fine as long as the dogs couldn't get out. They're worried about your dogs running out when housekeeping comes in and also want to make sure their staff is safe. Later when I arrived (way after I checked-in), I found out that Ocean Park technically has a 1 dog limit. But this was never mentioned to me, I spoke to our housekeeper and she said it was probably because my 2 dogs were so small. Ocean Park has a 20lb limit on the dogs that stay there....and my dogs' combined weight is only 16 lbs. It's nice to know they were able to accommodate me without making me feel unwelcome.

Check-in time is 4pm and check-out is 11am. Since we were travelling with dogs, we didn't want to come too early and have to wait out in the heat somewhere with the dogs. So I called the morning we were making the trip and asked if we could check-in earlier. If we couldn't, then we'd just hang out around the house longer before starting the road trip. Tiffany was very helpful and gave us an earlier time to check in! When we did arrive, check-in was a breeze and my dogs even got a baggie of treats.

We got an oceanfront room with 2 queen beds and a full Murphy bed on the 11th floor. The room was decent sized and the view was awesome. Basically, it was 2 rooms and the kitchen/bathroom area connected the two; so there was basically only a small path for people to walk around. It was fine though, we figured it out. The kitchen came stocked with plates and bowls for 4 people. Some pots and pans were also available. The bathroom was clean, albeit small.

Some additional notes on the hotel:
-NO smoking anywhere
-Pet grooming is available on the first floor
-No breakfast is served here, you do get a coffee machine with ground coffee in your room though and there is coffee in the lobby in the morning (it's really watered down though)
-2 pools (one indoor, one outdoor) & 2 spa/jacuzzis (one outdoor, one indoor).
-Doggy relief area is on the first floor in the middle of the parking lot

And some pet info about MB:
-Between Memorial Day and Labor Day: Dogs are allowed on the beach before 10am and after 5pm.
-As for the Boardwalk, between those same dates, dogs are only allowed on the boardwalk between 5AM and 10AM. (only mornings)
-There are a couple pet friendly attractions, The Market Common being one of them!

2 Thank Gwennivere
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We have stayed at the Ocean Park since before the renovations began several years ago and have always enjoyed our stay. Now with the pet friendly rooms we have not had to provide boarding for our dachshund and the daily pet fee is very reasonable..Rooms are always clean and the staff is great . View to the south side of the beach is limited in rooms ending in 14 or 16 and limited to the north in rooms ending in 10 or 12...it helps to ask for one of the rooms on either end of the building. Pools and amenities are great, always clean and well kept. Lifeguard stand almost directly in front of the resort is nice. Wireless is not as fast as I would have liked but was sufficient ...food, snacks, and basic supplies are within walking distance as are restaurants if u don't mind a 15-20 minute stroll...not fond of not being able to have a nice cigar on the balcony after dinner but having a smoke on the beach is not bad either. We will definitely be back as this is our "go to" place for vacations or quick weekend getaways for two.

Room Tip: North and South end sections have a better view of the strand.
Sparta, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Delightfully surprised for a "Pet Friendly Hotel"! We had an oceanfront room which is nearly unheard of if you have a pet. Very clean room with very clean and new looking appliances which were appreciated. Hotel very accommodating to pets which was a very nice experience. Plenty of parking and close to airport and shopping areas. Other words, very good location. Easy access to the beach, indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis. All in all, will definitely consider returning in the future!

Room Tip: Be specific as to oceanfront or ocean view.
Stafford, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My initial thought of the hotel when I walked in was that is was just OK, but it was reasonably priced, on the beach, and accepted pets. The property is only partially updated. The kitchen we had was nice except for the whole in the tile and all of the scuff and what looks to be oil marks along the wall. On the evening we checked in, the room was extremely chilly, so we turned the heat on and went to sleep. I was awakened at 6 a.m. to the smoke detectors going off due to the amount of smoke coming from the heating unit. At further inspection of the unit, there is mold on the vents and I imagine mold on the inside of the unit. Next, the business center (used loosely). Although I was on vacation, I had to work, and was happy to know that the hotel offered a business center. To my disappointment, their business center was one computer, which did not work. After about 20 minutes, the staff was able to get it running. However, you cannot upload any documents (not even Word documents) to the computer. I had a USB drive that contained several documents Microsoft Office documents I wanted to work on, which I couldn't because as the front desk representative advised me, "they had too many viruses from downloads, so nope you can't download anything!" On to the staff....For the most part, the staff members (particularly, the night clerk, the housekeeping and the pool attendants are extremely friendly and are what makes the hotel somewhat enjoyable). However, they have a front desk representative working in the morning that does not need to be in any "customer service" industry. She is rude and unprofessional. While I was in the lobby on my first day trying to get the computer to work, she began screaming openly about a family who was loading their car and left the luggage cart in the doorway causing the doors to remain open. She had another angry outburst again in the hour I was in the lobby. When I asked her for a late check-out (of which the manager only allowed us to stay for 30 extra minutes), I suggested that we could remove our belongs and the housekeepers could come in and clean, but we would like to stay a bit longer as the new hotel we were staying in would not be available to check into until 12:30 or 1. She immediately replied "no," stated that the manager would only extend 30 minutes and that the housekeepers cannot clean while you're in the room. Her last statement is not accurate as I watched them clean while guests were in the room all day. I told her that was not what I would typically expect in this customer service industry, which she replied, "well, you only have 30 minutes additional." All in all, the best part of the hotel was the view, free internet access from the room and updated kitchen. Not worth the money, when I should have spent the extra $20 to stay at an upper class chain hotel where they do believe in customer service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
OceanaResorts, General Manager at Ocean Park Resort, Oceana Resorts, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Ocean Park Resort. Your opinion is extremely valuable to us. Please be assured that the issues you mention have been addressed accordingly. Your experience was not the norm so we do hope you'll visit with us again, allowing us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience, on which we pride ourselves.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I can truly say that the hotel was much more than I expected. Me and my family truly enjoyed staying there. The rooms were very nice and clean. We were able to bring our pets and that was a plus. You would have never known that hotel was pet friendly due to the cleaniless. Never smelled any signs of pets staying there. I was there on July 12th thru 14th. I don't know her name, but the desk clerk that worked second shift was absolutely awesome. Her service and personality was the greatest. Ocean Park Resort will be my hotel of choice anytime I visit Myrtle Beach. I've alway wanted to come to the beach during the winter months and I hope I will be able to spend my 66th birthday there next year in January. Again I was extremely satisfied with my stay there. Please keep up the good work on the upkeep of that hotel, because it is worth it.

Val Grant
Only thing I would change is, i don't like the room with the refrigerator right at the door. I like the hallway before you get to the room. I was in room 906, that is the type of room I would reserve for myself.