“Based on past reviews, surprised it wasn't better”

Ocean Park Resort, Oceana Resorts
Ranked #73 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I want to say that I read TripAdvisor reviews for all things Myrtle Beach and I rely on the reviews to determine where I am going to stay and what I am going to do when we go to Myrtle Beach. Saying that, I was extremely disappointed with our stay at the Ocean Park Resort this past week. The disappointment began with check-in. I was quoted a specific amount for my stay (I had the name of the person I spoke with, the date and time I spoke with her), but the amount they were charging me was more at check-in. The gentleman wasn't able to tell me why there was a difference, he simply kept showing me their readout. After going round and round about it, we ended up paying the amount they were charging just so we could check in. It was obvious he was not going to back down.

When we arrived in our room we were terribly disappointed with the cleanliness. The baseboards were covered with filth. There were shelves in the 'living room' that had a picture and flowers that were covered in dust. The recliner and sofa in the room were perfectly clean. The shower areas were clean.

On the first day we were there, someone threw up in the small pool. This pool was then closed for the entire week. The large, main pool was cleaned on Tuesday. JUST TUESDAY. Yesterday I let the pool attendant know that there was tree leaves, sand, bugs and suntan lotion floating in the pool. She came out to clean it, but the accumulation of floating stuff in the pool came back almost immediately. I wonder if something is wrong with the filtration system. The hot tub was great.

The hotel has signage that it is a 'smoke free facility.' People were smoking on their balconies right above the pool. Out in the open. There is no sign of any hotel personnel patrolling the grounds to see this.

The 'doggie duty' area is much smaller than I was led to believe. While I think the hotel personnel try to keep this area clean, people are people and not everyone picks up their dog's poop. Yuck. We ended up walking our little one across the street.

The hotel offers free waterpark tickets -- this was fabulous. However when we went to use the discount at the putt putt park, we were told that they no longer have a relationship with Ocean Park. They did give us the discount in the end.

The kitchen was well stocked and everything was in working condition.

We will not stay at the Ocean Park Resort again, unfortunately.

2  Thank Cindy2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,555)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The room was great, clean and roomy. It was also very quiet. You'd never know there were dogs staying in the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location was fabulous and had great beach access. We'll definitely stay when we go back.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The biggest reason we chose this hotel is that they are dog friendly. The second reason is that I could take advantage of 60day advance reservation discount. (20% off)The facility is a bit aged but it's well maintained. The beach front location was very nice. Very good for families.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

What can i say the service was great even checking in at 1a.m. in the morning service was wonderful and help also very inviting excellent location and view of ocean pools and spas open early and stay open late it's easy access to and from the beach was great I could go on and on about this resort I'll end and say it's one of the best places to stay thanks for make my family vacation a great stay and free admission to the water park down the road was awesome to

1  Thank Ralphel E
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Rooms were excellent. Staff was friendly and helpful. The girl at the front desk on day shift was AMAZING!!! Only bad thing was limited parking but that happens anywhere in Myrtle Beach. Will definitely stay here again.

1  Thank tracey w
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We enjoyed staying here very much. Our hairdryer blew the first day and was repaired in less than 20 minutes! Had to ask for clean towels because our server always came so early, but otherwise very nice, quiet, and well kept. Clean room and amazing view, and the underground parking kept our car cool. The free water park was a great bargain,too, and our part of the beach was not as crowded as others. Be sure to check out The Market Common for nice dining and Broadway at the Beach. Staff could use a little help with recommending places for us 'newbies' to eat and visit. LOVED THIS NON-SMOKING FACILITY.

Room Tip: Don't get below level 3 or you won't have a good ocean view.
2  Thank ljs1031
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean. View from room 806 was amazing. Front desk staff needs to work on customer service skills. With this location you definitely need a car. It's a dog friendly hotel, but you would never know it because everything was nice and clean.

2  Thank momdaugther