“Excellent stay and staff”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #7 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Randleman, North Carolina
“Excellent stay and staff”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is one of the pricier hotels in Myrtle Beach but at least they treat you like guests. The staff and the housekeeping did a great job for us. We didn't received housekeeping one day, for whatever reason so I called to ask and within 30 minutes, they were there. We have stayed a several other resorts that are comparable but Island Vista seemed better and cleaner. Housekeeping would actually mop each day (which I thought they were all supposed to) and as I am sure others have commented, the beds are really comfortable (which is very unusual for hotels). We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have reviewed this Hotel before back in 2012, but I have gone back again July 2014, for a week of vacation with my family. My first rating was Excellent, but I have to take a point off this time for this Hotel, its still a nice place to stay at, and is very clean, and comfortable, but it is beginning to show signs of being outdated, as well as it can use some more amenities on the property. Of course they are in a lovely spot of the beach, and it is a bit more private than being so close to the other Hotels on the Beach. The staff there is very friendly and looking to accommodate each guest, including housekeeping and maintenance did their jobs well enough while we were there. The parking lot is still much too small and the spaces are very tight.

The Hotel could use a much better fitness room, its very unappealing and way too small. The hotel could also use a game room for the youngsters since it is a family hotel. The outdoor pools (they have two big ones), could use some amusement to them, like if they would put a curly slide on one of the pools outside for the children. The indoor lazy river this visit was not as clean or well managed as it was before, in fact it had a bad odor in the place, and no comfortable seating, and they also took away the basketball hoop that was in the indoor pool, and perhaps they have a good reason to have done so, but they should have at least put a basketball hoop up somewhere else on the property for those kids who liked the basketball that is now gone. There is nothing really for the kids to do at this resort, except be on the beach, or in the outdoor or indoor pool, and like I mention both the indoor and outdoor pools need to be reinvented.

In my opinion, the Hotel needs a make over to get up to speed with keeping it a #1 choice with other really nice Hotels out here for families. They don't have anything for business minded visitors, there are no conference rooms or anything like that at this Hotel.

The rooms are still nice and spacious enough, with full kitchens to cook & dine in, and the oceanfront views on your private patio is still very nice to have. We still enjoy this Hotel and we would go here again, but we might look to see first if there is another Hotel in the area that has more updates than this one has. We would still recommend this Hotel to others as well.

Room Tip: I personally like lower floors, but you can't pick and choose what they will give you unfortunat...
Green Features: I did not see any signs for that if they have them I did not see anything in this matter.
6 Thank DeoniaNeveu
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Been vacationing in myrtle beach for 25+ years. This year we decided to try someplace new and we chose Island Vista. It is by far the best place we ever stayed, clean, excellent care from all aspects of staff from front desk, security and housekeeping. Everyone we came in contact with during our stay was very friendly and looked like they totally enjoyed serving their customers. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and extremely well cared for. The pools are clean and the pool area is always clean. Nice layout with plenty to do for all ages. The beach is a very short walk. Since this resort is between residential homes the beach area is very uncrowded. Did not feel as if you were sitting on top of anyone. We had a 3 bedroom unit #411 and I have absolutely no complaints. Definitely worth the $$ and would refer anyone looking for a nice clean facility to check them out. Don't understand the negative comments others have left as we had none whatsoever and overheard many guests stating they were impressed with the resort. We had dinner in The Cypress room and It was excellent!! Best Filet in Myrtle Beach. Staff was excellent and service was great. Food was hot and presented very nicely. My son-in-law and daughter arrived early am of check in date and the front desk gave them pool bands, aparking pass, and a place to change into swimsuits. They had full access to the property all day and had lunch at the Tiki Bar they said the food was excellent and the kids loved the non-alcoholic mudslides. It was a must each day after lunch. Please don't think twice about making a reservation at this property you won't be disappointed.

3 Thank Sheila R
Erie
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Read lots of MB hotel reviews...we chose correctly as The Island vista met all of requirements. The location is awesome (away from all the touristy stuff), the hotel and our room was clean (I always do a bug/crud check prior to settling in - very happy!) the staff was helpful/accommodating, and the on site restaurant met our breakfast, lunch and dinner needs (the $45 restaurant credit was unexpected...we used it on a delicious dinner), had a great time relaxing on the beach (chair/umbrella rental was convenient), and loved the fact that our room was only a few steps away! We will definitely choose the Island Vista should we return to Myrtle Beach.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Lynn C
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2014

If you are not a particular person then you will like this resort as it's not bad, just not great. Here are my observations after a 2 night stay in late July 2014. We had two different rooms, both were in need of fresh carpet, furniture and updated decor. The pool had no security and when I reported numerous non guests coming in using the pool it was blatantly ignored by the tiki bar staff (the only staff in the pool area). I verified with one couple they were not guest and saw a group of 7 unattended kids sneak in, be routy for 2 hours) and leave out the side entrance; seems word has got around locally that the pool is open to the public which contributes to overcrowding. The pool water was cloudy and I have a pool so that isn't a good sign. Pool restrooms would be a nice addition instead of having to walk thur the lobby dripping wet. The grounds were always dirty and all hallways need carpet cleaning or pressure washing inside and out. The AC in both our units was programmed to get hotter at night, but worked fine during the day. The restaurant and front desk staff are the best features and I enjoyed the happy hour and $35 credit was nice. This resort could be awesome with better management (they should call Gordon Ramsey). Bottom line: If I'm paying over $500 per night I expect mgmt to run a tighter ship, clean the place up, manage the pool access better, and train all the employees to the same level of service as the front desk and restaurant staff. Also, we checked in the first day at 1pm and at 6pm the maids were rushing to finish our room and didn't do a great job as a result. One time we ordered room service for breakfast and it took almost one hour to arrive and was not hot. The parking deck, lower level, is dirty and has stuff stored everywhere that should be moved. Overall, more bad than good for me to spend this kind of money on coming back. I'm a world traveler and for $450+ (2 bedroom suite) a night it's not worth my hard earned money to try it again, sorry I will not go back. Let me add that relative to other hotels/resorts in Myrtle beach (and I visited several) I would say this place is well above average, the sad thing is that with some work it could be awesome and they would get more repeat business, as the location is great and out of the crazy party atmosphere of downtown Myrtle.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are ocean front but these are really condos they are renting and some are for...
5 Thank foody411
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to express your views on Trip Advisor… we certainly value those of a world traveler. We especially appreciate your comments about our front desk & Cypress Room staff members… guest service is our top priority here, and we are glad that it shows. At a resort with such a high occupancy, upgrades & changes occur in phases. For example, this year we have new and upgraded sleeper sofas, occasional chairs, coffee tables, and all new bedding (by bedding, I am referring to the base, box-spring, mattress, duvet covers, and 500-thread count Egyptian cotton sheets)… all new for 2014. In the coming year, we plan to complete the electronics upgrade for each room, bedroom, and suite, and carpet the hallways & common areas. We have a limited time each year to accomplish these efforts… during the warm-weather months, we are so busy that it would be an inconvenience to our guests if we attempted tasks like those. Perhaps one of the reasons for our popularity is that if we are not currently involved in enhancements, we are in the process of planning new ones.

In the old days, guests would often open the balcony doors in the evening and enjoy the ocean breezes. It is still possible to do so, but our state of the art climate control system (one of our most aggressive green practices) does disable the system when the balcony door is open. By doing so, we save a tremendous amount of energy and system maintenance. Our system is set to the green-practice parameters, and as such, the actual temperature within that range is always the choice of the user. We have been careful to post operation tips by the digital thermostat and at the balcony door so our guests can clearly understand the operation and benefits of our advanced system.

Say, that Gordon Ramsay does have a distinct style. I’ve observed a few of his management strategies, conversational tones, and various endeavors and success rates, and at first glance, they just don’t seem to parallel our own. Thank you for the suggestion, though… we are always open to new ideas.

We do take pride in our location… we are nestled in the middle of an old established residential neighborhood here on the north beach. We are the only resort within a mile or so of the quietest section of oceanfront in Myrtle Beach. Being somewhat isolated, our Tiki Hut pool bar does attract customers on a daily basis from everywhere, including the beach… on a really hot day of strolling down the beach, there’s nothing like a frosty fruit beverage and a couple of our famous fish tacos. The other facilities are for our guests only, and our dedicated security guard is there for the purpose of keeping it so. We do like to rely on the courtesy of our guests with regard to the use of the pool and lawn areas, and only intervene when it is necessary. Also with the pools in mind, I would like to mention that our state certified pool technician arrives at 4am each day to clean, test, and assure our guests the crystal clear sparkling waters they have come to expect here at the Island Vista. In addition to our own very rigid standards, we are subject to frequent random testing by our local authorities. It’s not necessarily a special source of pride that we’ve never had a closure… that is just a result of our own high standards and care, and we never expect less.

Thank you for choosing the Island Vista as your host in Myrtle Beach. We hope you will visit us again.
Easley, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked a trip last minute and chose Island Vista. Glad I did! Nice hotel. Shortest walk to the beach you can get. Nice pools. Clean rooms.

Chose the breakfast option. Good choices on the menu. Need more wait staff in the morning to help when it gets busy.

Free DVD rentals. Good to keep little ones entertained in the evening or down time.

Free parking in the two parking garages. Spaces are a bit tight for a minivan or full side truck.

We are definitely going back there this summer or next.

Pools are nice and clean.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the lower in the hotel. Elevators are a bit slow and get backed up during busy...
Canton, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I made reservations for our summer 2014 vacation in Island Vista way back in February of this year. This gave me the opportunity to get a very good price and to learn a lot about the resort because I frequently read reviews of the property posted in TripAdvisor by previous travelers. For instance, I was advised by the reviewers to drive carefully in the parking garages, to understand that ‘ocean view’ is not the same than ‘ocean front’ and that units too close by to the pools could be noisy. Thank you reviewers! Armed with all that knowledge I wrote a couple of e mails to the reservation manager requesting my preferences. These e mails were never answered and I was very upset with that. So, by the time we were ready to start our vacation I was very apprehensive of what I was going to find.
But the moment we got into our apartment all my doubts were gone! It seems that somebody had read all my requests and granted them! Suite 511 was ocean front with a large balcony that provided us spectacular views; the unit is spacious and elegant, perfectly clean, the kitchen well stock, the maid service extraordinary, thank you Blankita & Debbie. The mattress a little on the soft side but the pillows were so nice that I asked reception desk if I could buy a new one from them; it was possible and at a very good price too! My family and I were enjoying this beautiful place so much, that we did not even think of leaving when we heard the news about the first hurricane of 2014. Thanks God ‘Arthur’ in Myrtle Beach was nothing more than a rainy day with an upset sea. That day we enjoyed the change in scenery (rough waves and higher tide) from our balcony, although nobody in my family dared go to the beach, much less swim in the ocean. The indoor Lazy River and other pool was very much appreciated that day, as well as the free DVDs. Next day which was July 4th was gloriously sunny and the evening celebrations were astonishing.
Very important to me is the fact that I found apartment #511 perfectly suitable for my handicapped condition. Although the suite is not exactly ‘handicapped built’ it was doable for me. The doors to the Master room and bath must be 32 inches wide because they were wide enough for my wheel chair which is 25 inches wide.
My daughter, her husband and kids had breakfast in the Cypress Room a couple of time and said that it was good and not pricey. They also had drinks at the Tiki Hut. We all went to dinner at the Cypress Room to take advantage of a gift card that we were giving at the registration desk. I think the restaurant is stylish, the food very good and service attentive and friendly.
The parking garage was not as dangerous as we had imagined but it is a good practice to go slowly and be careful.
And a great time was enjoyed by all!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views.
3 Thank viamalu