“Nice hotel, good location. Could be a lot better.”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #7 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Piscataway, New Jersey
“Nice hotel, good location. Could be a lot better.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel, I was a little worried when I approached the front entrance (I thought it was a side-door but it wasn't). It lacked any grandeur whatsoever. If this is the first impression, it is not a good one. The glass doors were dirty & needed to be cleaned. The lobby was warm, no a/c. I commented to the lady at the front desk about how arm it was & she chuckled. By the way, it was about 6 pm in the evening. The hallways & elevator wear equally as warm. We were getting more & more worried. The parking garage is tight& having a big truck is a hassle. Luckily our room was nicer than the rest of the hotel. Bathroom & bedroom were nice, with the exception of an outdated tv in the bedroom.
Housekeeping needs to do a better job. Our room was not cleaned everyday. Maybe straightened up. Beds weren't made, just fixed. There was dust on the headboards & the Murphy bed had dust on the inside when you opened up.. For the amount of money we spent, I expected more..& honestly, the amount of $ you spend should have nothing to do with cleanliness. It just makes you think, what hasn't been cleaned that you can't see. The indoor pool area was loud, mainly a kiddie area. Not very inviting. And only one bathroom for the pool/beach area (w/o having to walk thought the lobby, dripping wet, which people do) wasn't really convenient. But it was cleaner than most pool/beach area bathrooms that I've been too. The free wifi & internet aren't that good either. On a good note, the hotel is quiet, the pool & beach area were nice, not too crowded. We ordered from the tiki bar one day & that was fine, came quick. Really all this hotel needs is a little sprucing up & someone to better supervise housekeeping to make sure their doing the job the way they should be & this could be much nicer. I don't know how it made TripAdvisor's #5.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Joyce A
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for expressing yourself on Trip Advisor. The three months of summer in Myrtle Beach are indeed different in many ways… we are very busy! Our front entrance (the one facing Ocean Boulevard) is glass… the interior doors are automatic, but the exterior doors are manually opened and as such, are cleaned almost hourly. Our oceanfront entrance doors (the ones facing the ocean) are also manually opened… being on the ocean, and with our near tropical sunshine, guests often use suntan lotions & sunscreens which are so easy to appear on glass. These are also cleaned almost hourly. When it is an especially hot and busy day, I think that it is these doors that allow the lobby temperature to rise. We are considering adding a set of doors much like those at the front that will allow for a sort of air lock to keep the lobby comfortable, but as you can see from the traffic, it would greatly inconvenience our guests if we tried to install those today.

We do offer exterior parking for oversized vehicles, and if you are ever in doubt, our staff is always here to help.

When you look at our indoor pool area, it is easy to see that we designed it for families with children. The kiddie pool with the showers & fountains, the lazy river ride, the basketball goal, the sea creature motifs embedded into the pool surfaces… these delight the young ones, and I’ll admit, whenever you have a lot of happy children, you’re probably going to hear them! You might like the north end of the outdoor pool deck a little better… the swimming pool in front of the Tiki Hut is just that, and around the corner from that is the deck with the picnic tables & palm trees, mostly in the shade, and a lot quieter.

Any time a guest experiences an issue which requires attention, you have only to let us know, and that includes any housekeeping requests, maintenance requests, food and beverage services… anything. Our staff is here to serve you and provide the best vacation experience available.

Thank you for choosing the Island Vista as your host in Myrtle Beach.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Myrtle beach
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel. Good locations and the building and rooms looked great on the web.

Unfortunately the experience you get when you check in is completely different. First, when you check in expect to wait to at least 5:00 or 6:00. The lobby is very small and crowded and the front desk staff are clueless and rude. They don't care at all about the customer.

Second, the rooms are outdated and smell of mold. Very nice views but not worth the price or wait.

Third, the pool area is nice but too small and overcrowded

It's a shame that they have such a poor management company running this hotel. The location is great and with a little customer service training the liabilities could be minimized. Do not rent here. There is so many better places.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Mikegz
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Island Vista as your host in Myrtle Beach… it appears that you are from Myrtle Beach, and we take that as quite a compliment from someone who knows the area! I wish I could have heard from you directly, though, regarding your comments about our front desk staff… that seems to be such a contradiction from the comments I hear so often and naturally I would like to know what led you to write that in your review. In fact, in my 8 years at the Island Vista, your first and only review on Trip Advisor is also the first and only time I have heard that sentiment. We have guests that have been staying with us for more than 30 years from the days of the original Sea Island Inn… many guests frequently request our staff members by name, and we are always happy to hear from our friends and happy to help with vacation plans. We were founded on high standards of courtesy and customer service, and I often have the pleasure of sharing written compliments from guests with staff members mentioned by name. Customer service is our very top priority always.

You did mention the lobby, and it brought to mind a time when we measured the floor space… I have borrowed a paragraph from that reply. I wrote:

“I am a pretty big guy and I’ve never felt claustrophobic in our lobby, but you did make me wonder. I asked one of our maintenance technicians to actually measure, and found that it’s 78’ from the indoor pool door to the fireplace, and 58’ from the fireplace to the veranda exit where the rocking chairs are. The space from the fireplace to the check-in desk is over 900 square feet, and in the very center of that area is a beautiful antique table with a floral arrangement designed by one of our area’s most talented artists. Above that (and the above the fireplace, too) are recessed areas in the ceiling that have been intricately designed by a local cabinetmaker using 80+ year-old cypress logs found in the Black River near Georgetown, and you may also have noticed the genuine cypress walls throughout the lobby.” That was written some time ago, but it is appropriate here. With regard to the size of the oceanfront pool deck, I can only say that it is the length of a city block, limited to the east only by the location of the Atlantic.

All of our rooms and suites are subject to scheduled maintenance programs each year during the quiet months… these processes include fresh paint, preventative mechanical maintenance, wiring checks, etc. This year, we replaced all of our sleeper sofas, coffee tables, and occasional chairs with new and very attractive furniture that has been the subject of many kind compliments. We also imported new 500-thread-count Egyptian cotton bedcovers and duvets… these were ordered to go on the new upgraded beds for 2014. All beds (mattresses, box-springs, and bases) are all new. We take great pride in our resort and its condition… I am sure that if an issue had been pointed out to our staff that it would have been immediately addressed. If we are not involved in one sort of upgrade or another, we are involved in planning one.

Thank you again for choosing the Island Vista.
Thomasville, Georgia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Currently spending my 60th here with 2 of my daughters and a friend. The suite (#603) is a one bedroom with a Murphy bed and sofa bed. The furnishings are newer and 5 he view of the ocean is breathtaking. The lobby isn't much to look at but that doesn't matter once you enter the room. Also spent a night at South Wind which, in my view, isn't quite as nice. Would love to own an oceanfront unit here.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SRGreen754
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Rooms were very clean. Housekeeping was great, very thorough and I think went above and beyond with loading the dishes into the dishwasher and running it for us...always asking if we needed them to mop the floors and would vacuum daily. Rooms are very spacious perfect for our family of 5 and they accommodated is so that my inlaws had the room right next to us. The view from our oceanfront 3 bedroom room was simply breathtaking. Our balcony was very large and could comfortably sit all of us and there were as any chairs there as we needed so everyone could sit if we wanted together. The washer and dryers were oversized and perfect you could wash so many clothes at once without a problem, super beneficial when you have a family of 5.
The kids were in live with the pools/lazy river and beach. The indoor lazy river was probably their most favorite of the pools. The location of the beach was excellent since it's right behind the resort. Made it so much easier to lug stuff off to the beach for the family since it was so close. The beach was also not super crowded like other public beaches. You could rest and relax without being surrounded by tons of people or worrying about not being able to see the kids.
Overall the resort is definitely family friendly, lots of activities for the kids if you are staying at the resort for the day, we were frequently out and about so we didn't get to take advantage of all the opportunities.
The food at the resort was very good! We ordered from the tiki bar menu which was yummy and we also ordered from the breakfast menu to have delivered to our room. We didn't actually do the dining room bc it was formal attire and we were more or casually dining people. I wouldn't recommend the pizza however that you can have delivered to your room. That was my least favorite reminded me a bit of a mix between dominoes and chuck e cheese pizza. For an Italian who makes her own homemade pizza it was really hard to swallow bc it didn't even compare to any pizzerias.
Other than that we were very happy with our stay here and are planning on returning next year!!!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Dmp31577
Randleman, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is one of the pricier hotels in Myrtle Beach but at least they treat you like guests. The staff and the housekeeping did a great job for us. We didn't received housekeeping one day, for whatever reason so I called to ask and within 30 minutes, they were there. We have stayed a several other resorts that are comparable but Island Vista seemed better and cleaner. Housekeeping would actually mop each day (which I thought they were all supposed to) and as I am sure others have commented, the beds are really comfortable (which is very unusual for hotels). We'll be back.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have reviewed this Hotel before back in 2012, but I have gone back again July 2014, for a week of vacation with my family. My first rating was Excellent, but I have to take a point off this time for this Hotel, its still a nice place to stay at, and is very clean, and comfortable, but it is beginning to show signs of being outdated, as well as it can use some more amenities on the property. Of course they are in a lovely spot of the beach, and it is a bit more private than being so close to the other Hotels on the Beach. The staff there is very friendly and looking to accommodate each guest, including housekeeping and maintenance did their jobs well enough while we were there. The parking lot is still much too small and the spaces are very tight.

The Hotel could use a much better fitness room, its very unappealing and way too small. The hotel could also use a game room for the youngsters since it is a family hotel. The outdoor pools (they have two big ones), could use some amusement to them, like if they would put a curly slide on one of the pools outside for the children. The indoor lazy river this visit was not as clean or well managed as it was before, in fact it had a bad odor in the place, and no comfortable seating, and they also took away the basketball hoop that was in the indoor pool, and perhaps they have a good reason to have done so, but they should have at least put a basketball hoop up somewhere else on the property for those kids who liked the basketball that is now gone. There is nothing really for the kids to do at this resort, except be on the beach, or in the outdoor or indoor pool, and like I mention both the indoor and outdoor pools need to be reinvented.

In my opinion, the Hotel needs a make over to get up to speed with keeping it a #1 choice with other really nice Hotels out here for families. They don't have anything for business minded visitors, there are no conference rooms or anything like that at this Hotel.

The rooms are still nice and spacious enough, with full kitchens to cook & dine in, and the oceanfront views on your private patio is still very nice to have. We still enjoy this Hotel and we would go here again, but we might look to see first if there is another Hotel in the area that has more updates than this one has. We would still recommend this Hotel to others as well.

Room Tip: I personally like lower floors, but you can't pick and choose what they will give you unfortunat...
Green Features: I did not see any signs for that if they have them I did not see anything in this matter.
6 Thank DeoniaNeveu
Chesterfield, Virginia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Been vacationing in myrtle beach for 25+ years. This year we decided to try someplace new and we chose Island Vista. It is by far the best place we ever stayed, clean, excellent care from all aspects of staff from front desk, security and housekeeping. Everyone we came in contact with during our stay was very friendly and looked like they totally enjoyed serving their customers. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and extremely well cared for. The pools are clean and the pool area is always clean. Nice layout with plenty to do for all ages. The beach is a very short walk. Since this resort is between residential homes the beach area is very uncrowded. Did not feel as if you were sitting on top of anyone. We had a 3 bedroom unit #411 and I have absolutely no complaints. Definitely worth the $$ and would refer anyone looking for a nice clean facility to check them out. Don't understand the negative comments others have left as we had none whatsoever and overheard many guests stating they were impressed with the resort. We had dinner in The Cypress room and It was excellent!! Best Filet in Myrtle Beach. Staff was excellent and service was great. Food was hot and presented very nicely. My son-in-law and daughter arrived early am of check in date and the front desk gave them pool bands, aparking pass, and a place to change into swimsuits. They had full access to the property all day and had lunch at the Tiki Bar they said the food was excellent and the kids loved the non-alcoholic mudslides. It was a must each day after lunch. Please don't think twice about making a reservation at this property you won't be disappointed.

3 Thank Sheila R