“Great Place!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Parkville, Maryland
“Great Place!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband has his yearly meetings here. We have about 40-60 attendees. Everyone loves it. All rooms are suites. Great for families or couples. Suites are 1-4 bedroom. I work with Sheila Suhrer, & Kathy Davis. They are the greatest! Our attendees, mostly males for mtgs, can be difficult. Kathy & Sheila take care if any problems or concerns as soon as I tell them. They put on a fantastic Sat nite Farewell Dinner for our group. We have been doing our meetings in Myrtle Beach for many years. And have used several hotels, from Holiday Inn to Hilton to Marriott Grande Dunes. This one surpasses all of them. I found it on the internet, when we decided we needed a change. I talked tonSheila on the phone & she handled everything from that point on. The suites were a big, big selling point as we have several guys who bring their families. Nothing more convenient than having a suite with full kitchen when u have kids with you. They are not a Convention hotel, they really only started hosting groups the year we went with them. We cannot see our group going anywhere else. They would have to really raise our group rates for us to move.

Green Features: Temp controls easy to set. Sheets, towels washed only if u want them. Lighting is good without being too bright or energy wasting.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hcefalu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Lombard, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2014

If I were to ever go to Myrtle Beach, I would stay at the Island Vista again based on the positives of this hotel and the exterior view of the other hotels in the area. We checked in after 5pm and didn't have any issues. I like how they have a free DVD rental in the lobby for the kids, that helped. I wasn't a fan of having to have the bellman get our luggage (guests are not allowed to use the luggage carts) I felt I had to tip for something I should have been able to do myself. We were on the 9th floor which had a spectacular view. The housekeeping definitely needed to step up their game, I found some items left from the previous guests left. I am a clean freak so I wiped everything down myself upon entering anyway. Take note that you will have to bring your own paper towels and I had to use washcloths to clean because there were no kitchen towels left for us either. The beds and linens were so comfortable, we fell asleep as soon as we hit the mattress! The bedroom is dark, even with the lights on but its not really that big of a deal. Housekeeping didn't arrive until after 4pm to clean which is when we always came back to the room so one of the days I just told her we didn't want service and I just brought out all of our dirty towels and garbage and she gave me new items. The hallways are frequently lined with garbage bags of guests- there is a large garbage can by the elevator, I would rather they put their garbage there than in the hallway but people can be lazy. The beach was not crowded at all when compared to the other hotel areas- this is a huge plus for me. I don't want to sit on top of other people while relaxing at the beach so this is a huge plus. I liked how I could rent an umbrella from the lifeguard. The lawn area was fine, there did seem to be a lot of "saved" chairs but there was plenty of room for people. The pools weren't crowded and my kids liked the pool better than the ocean! The girl that ran the kids club activities (she was Scottish) was so nice and pleasant, my kids really enjoyed her. I can see why some people complain about the parking garage, but if you drive carefully its not an issue- be happy to have a garage to park in. If I ever do go back to Myrtle Beach I will definitely stay here, probably in a room with more than one bathroom (1 bathroom for 5 people was a little tight). The housekeeping issues I mentioned pale in comparison to the positive aspects of the beach, beautiful rooms, views, pool area. I felt very safe at the Island Vista, I don't think I would be able to say that at the other hotels based on where they are located.

Room Tip: I loved the view from the 9th floor
4 Thank Erica P
pittston, pa
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Having never stayed here before, I booked this hotel based on trip advisor reviews. I was not disappointed. If you are looking to relax in peace, then this is the place to stay. The beach was quiet, calm, and clean. The indoor and outdoor pool areas were the perfect way to unwind after a busy morning. The parking is a little tight but nothing that cant be managed. We only had a few issues throughout our stay. The a/c in our room was not the greatest and frequently had to be reset in order to stay cool. Also, we stopped at the desk and asked for bedding for the murphy bed but it never arrived. Another issue was the lighting. The bedroom was very dark unless you were next to the lights. By that, I mean I actually used the flashlight on my phone to look in my luggage. The ceiling fan helped cool the bedroom but did not work in the living room. We did eat in the restaurant one evening which was a nice change to busy afternoons. Overall, my family would stay here again. There were 3 people that stayed in the 1 bedroom suite, and we had plenty of space to relax and stretch out. Housekeeping did an excellent job throughout the 5 day stay. The beach made any minor issues wash away.

Room Tip: ask for 7th floor or higher if you don't want to be connected to the parkade
Green Features: wish the hotel offered recycling for all those water bottles we used
3 Thank bambinamama
maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Check-in was uneventful...literally. The clerk basically checked us in - did not ask if my family and I had stayed at the hotel before and definitely did not go over the layout of the resort. I reserved a 2 bedroom grand suite...high floor and away from the elevator....I am a light sleeper. The suite was on the 9th floor, near the elevator.....long nights. The suite is very large, but the balcony could only hold two chairs, the other two chairs were stacked.....beautiful view....if only my entire family could enjoy the scenery ALL together. Housekeeping left a nice gift under the kitchen sink......a trash can full of trash. The pool area was really nice, but the lawn chairs were all taken by 9:00 a.m., the guest would put their beach towels in the chairs and disappear for hours......yes, hours. I was done when my daughter was told that the resort was out of pool towels.....at 10:30 am! The area is very quite and beach was not crowded. In conclusion, my family and have been visiting MB for the past 7 years and for the price and reviews... I just expected much more. Housekeeping was the worst.

4 Thank anangeltoo3
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for expressing your views on Trip Advisor. I have a friend who operates a very successful restaurant here in town, and though rare, someone might have an issue with a menu item in one form or another. His policy is to take a personal interest in the problem and find the immediate remedy, and this level of customer service is a great part of his success. All you have to do is let him know what’s wrong, and he will personally see that you leave as a happy customer.

Here at the Island Vista, we have a variety of departments to serve you, and customer service is the sole function of our staff. Whether you have a housekeeping need, a light bulb replacement… maybe you’d like champagne on ice and chocolate covered strawberries sent to your room… any request by our guest becomes our priority. This is especially true when a problem is indicated. All you have to do is let us know what your needs are… while we appreciate your Trip Advisor review, the time to have found the solution was at the time of the issue. I don’t know how resolution can be had as a result of your posting here, but if you had voiced your needs while you were at the Island Vista, you would have been amazed at how fast our staff would have gone to work for you. In the very busy summer season, that’s the time when it can be possible for our staff to overlook a detail, whether it involves our housekeeping staff or pool security, and if that should happen, we are quick to apologize and quick to move toward the solution. We are sorry for any inconvenience you experienced. Guest service is our top priority always, and we value every opportunity to let you know how important you are.

Thank you for choosing the Island Vista.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family and I have been staying at Island Vista for a few years now and we have seen service going down. First, we had reserved a two bedroom condo(1 king size bed, another room with 2 queen beds and a pullout in the living room, in addition there are two bathrooms)via online since we have 4 kids, ( 2 teenagers and 2 small kids). When we got to the hotel they put us at a one room (queen size beds) and two pull out beds in the living room. They said that that is what we have reserved online, but we know better that we NEVER stay in a one bedroom room. We think they changed the specifications on us. It was so tight in that room! I was furious! They could not accommodate us into a new room because they were sold out. Then, they didn't have enough blankets or linens for an extra pull out bed. In addition, the enclosed parking lot is starting to become a pain. The spaces are so tight and if you have a big car (we have a van) it is so hard to park or get out!! Also, when I called to order breakfast, they were so rude!! I think this was it for us. We will seek other hotels.

Room Tip: Check your reservations by calling the hotel itself to double check your choice, if you booked it on...
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Island Vista for years… having done so, you should feel confident when choosing your accommodations online. For new guests, we do like to invite you to call our staff to help with your reservations. We have room and suite types that range from basic hotel rooms with just the microwave, coffeemaker, and small refrigerator to 2500+ sq ft 4-bedroom 4-bath luxury corner suites with full size kitchens and dining rooms seating up to 12 at the table. Every suite (beginning with the 1-bedroom suites) is equipped with polished granite countertops, dishwashers, and even washer/dryers. There is such a variety of choices that we are very careful to send confirmation letters immediately after a reservation is made… this is true of all reservations but especially important for online bookings. It is not possible to complete an online reservation without your email address for that reason. When a guest books the reservation online, we have no way to be sure that the guest has reserved exactly what they wish except to send the confirmation with the precise details including the specific accommodation description, dates, pricing, etc.

I do like your room tip suggestion of calling the hotel to double-check your choice, especially when you book it online and take full responsibility like that. I’m still a little old-fashioned when I make travel plans. I still like to speak with someone at my destination, and that is why our resort is staffed with friendly knowledgeable vacation planners 24 hours a day throughout year, and we are located here at the Island Vista… we can even look out the window and tell you the wave conditions! We want to be sure that your arrangements at the Island Vista are exactly the ones that you made… that is why we offer very careful, very precise tracking to benefit our guests. Those details are always made available to you before, during, and after your visit. We encourage you to contact us any time, and we are always happy to help.

Thank you for choosing the Island Vista.
Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Upon arriving at the hotel, I was a little worried when I approached the front entrance (I thought it was a side-door but it wasn't). It lacked any grandeur whatsoever. If this is the first impression, it is not a good one. The glass doors were dirty & needed to be cleaned. The lobby was warm, no a/c. I commented to the lady at the front desk about how arm it was & she chuckled. By the way, it was about 6 pm in the evening. The hallways & elevator wear equally as warm. We were getting more & more worried. The parking garage is tight& having a big truck is a hassle. Luckily our room was nicer than the rest of the hotel. Bathroom & bedroom were nice, with the exception of an outdated tv in the bedroom.
Housekeeping needs to do a better job. Our room was not cleaned everyday. Maybe straightened up. Beds weren't made, just fixed. There was dust on the headboards & the Murphy bed had dust on the inside when you opened up.. For the amount of money we spent, I expected more..& honestly, the amount of $ you spend should have nothing to do with cleanliness. It just makes you think, what hasn't been cleaned that you can't see. The indoor pool area was loud, mainly a kiddie area. Not very inviting. And only one bathroom for the pool/beach area (w/o having to walk thought the lobby, dripping wet, which people do) wasn't really convenient. But it was cleaner than most pool/beach area bathrooms that I've been too. The free wifi & internet aren't that good either. On a good note, the hotel is quiet, the pool & beach area were nice, not too crowded. We ordered from the tiki bar one day & that was fine, came quick. Really all this hotel needs is a little sprucing up & someone to better supervise housekeeping to make sure their doing the job the way they should be & this could be much nicer. I don't know how it made TripAdvisor's #5.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Joyce A
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for expressing yourself on Trip Advisor. The three months of summer in Myrtle Beach are indeed different in many ways… we are very busy! Our front entrance (the one facing Ocean Boulevard) is glass… the interior doors are automatic, but the exterior doors are manually opened and as such, are cleaned almost hourly. Our oceanfront entrance doors (the ones facing the ocean) are also manually opened… being on the ocean, and with our near tropical sunshine, guests often use suntan lotions & sunscreens which are so easy to appear on glass. These are also cleaned almost hourly. When it is an especially hot and busy day, I think that it is these doors that allow the lobby temperature to rise. We are considering adding a set of doors much like those at the front that will allow for a sort of air lock to keep the lobby comfortable, but as you can see from the traffic, it would greatly inconvenience our guests if we tried to install those today.

We do offer exterior parking for oversized vehicles, and if you are ever in doubt, our staff is always here to help.

When you look at our indoor pool area, it is easy to see that we designed it for families with children. The kiddie pool with the showers & fountains, the lazy river ride, the basketball goal, the sea creature motifs embedded into the pool surfaces… these delight the young ones, and I’ll admit, whenever you have a lot of happy children, you’re probably going to hear them! You might like the north end of the outdoor pool deck a little better… the swimming pool in front of the Tiki Hut is just that, and around the corner from that is the deck with the picnic tables & palm trees, mostly in the shade, and a lot quieter.

Any time a guest experiences an issue which requires attention, you have only to let us know, and that includes any housekeeping requests, maintenance requests, food and beverage services… anything. Our staff is here to serve you and provide the best vacation experience available.

Thank you for choosing the Island Vista as your host in Myrtle Beach.
Myrtle beach
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I was very excited to stay at this hotel. Good locations and the building and rooms looked great on the web.

Unfortunately the experience you get when you check in is completely different. First, when you check in expect to wait to at least 5:00 or 6:00. The lobby is very small and crowded and the front desk staff are clueless and rude. They don't care at all about the customer.

Second, the rooms are outdated and smell of mold. Very nice views but not worth the price or wait.

Third, the pool area is nice but too small and overcrowded

It's a shame that they have such a poor management company running this hotel. The location is great and with a little customer service training the liabilities could be minimized. Do not rent here. There is so many better places.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Mikegz
Marc A, Manager at Island Vista, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Island Vista as your host in Myrtle Beach… it appears that you are from Myrtle Beach, and we take that as quite a compliment from someone who knows the area! I wish I could have heard from you directly, though, regarding your comments about our front desk staff… that seems to be such a contradiction from the comments I hear so often and naturally I would like to know what led you to write that in your review. In fact, in my 8 years at the Island Vista, your first and only review on Trip Advisor is also the first and only time I have heard that sentiment. We have guests that have been staying with us for more than 30 years from the days of the original Sea Island Inn… many guests frequently request our staff members by name, and we are always happy to hear from our friends and happy to help with vacation plans. We were founded on high standards of courtesy and customer service, and I often have the pleasure of sharing written compliments from guests with staff members mentioned by name. Customer service is our very top priority always.

You did mention the lobby, and it brought to mind a time when we measured the floor space… I have borrowed a paragraph from that reply. I wrote:

“I am a pretty big guy and I’ve never felt claustrophobic in our lobby, but you did make me wonder. I asked one of our maintenance technicians to actually measure, and found that it’s 78’ from the indoor pool door to the fireplace, and 58’ from the fireplace to the veranda exit where the rocking chairs are. The space from the fireplace to the check-in desk is over 900 square feet, and in the very center of that area is a beautiful antique table with a floral arrangement designed by one of our area’s most talented artists. Above that (and the above the fireplace, too) are recessed areas in the ceiling that have been intricately designed by a local cabinetmaker using 80+ year-old cypress logs found in the Black River near Georgetown, and you may also have noticed the genuine cypress walls throughout the lobby.” That was written some time ago, but it is appropriate here. With regard to the size of the oceanfront pool deck, I can only say that it is the length of a city block, limited to the east only by the location of the Atlantic.

All of our rooms and suites are subject to scheduled maintenance programs each year during the quiet months… these processes include fresh paint, preventative mechanical maintenance, wiring checks, etc. This year, we replaced all of our sleeper sofas, coffee tables, and occasional chairs with new and very attractive furniture that has been the subject of many kind compliments. We also imported new 500-thread-count Egyptian cotton bedcovers and duvets… these were ordered to go on the new upgraded beds for 2014. All beds (mattresses, box-springs, and bases) are all new. We take great pride in our resort and its condition… I am sure that if an issue had been pointed out to our staff that it would have been immediately addressed. If we are not involved in one sort of upgrade or another, we are involved in planning one.

Thank you again for choosing the Island Vista.