“Awsome, beautiful hotel with wonderful staff!”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #5 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 March 2009

We decided to take off for the weekend and I have been wanting to stay here since they first opened. I knew the off season is the only time I could afford it, and even then I could have found somewhere cheaper, but it was worth every penny! I called around 5:30pm on a Friday and Judy at the front desk said if I could get there before 11:00pm, she would wait for me. I rolled in at 10:50pm and there she was waiting for me like she said. She was a fun, super duper nice person, as well as all the other staff I talked with. The rooms were simply gorgeous and clean throughout the whole hotel. The elevators and hallways smelled clean and the carpet was clean. The beds and pillows made you feel as though you were fallen on a cloud! The pool area was clean and really neat both indoor and out. My 5 yr old and 9 yr old loved it! This is one place that I would never hesitate to return to. I also loved the fact that rooms where inclosed so that when you were in the hallways, you didn't have to worry about the wind or getting wet and you never had to go outside to get to the indoor pool.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank leza1993

Reviewed 27 February 2009

Everything about this hotel was top notch from the ladies at the check-in desk, to Henry the porter, to housekeeping that had extra towels to our room within 2 minutes of me putting the phone down.

Room was clean and well-appointed. The pull-out bed in the sitting room isn't a sofa bed but rather a wall bed. And wow, it was so comfortable! Better than many regular hotel beds I've slept in.

The kids enjoyed the pool and the lazy river.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2009

Just stayed in this newly renovated, beach front hotel in a quiet section of Myrtle Beach. Lovely accomodations. Helpful staff, great food in dining room, nice fitness center, indoor/outdoor pools. This seems to be a quieter place than the regular hustle and bustle, but that is what I wanted. Plus, it was during the winter season, so naturally it is not jammed with people. Easily located off Kings Hwy and near to shopping, and Restaurant Row. I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2009

This hotel was one of about five hotels that was recommended by fellow Trip Advisor Members. I was going to Myrtle Beach for a one day business meeting and I decided at the last minute to stay for the entire weekend for some R&R, therefore, I was looking for an oceanfront room with a King bed and jacuzzi. When I attempted to make an online reservation, no King rooms were available. I then called reservations only to be told the same thing. However, once I was on the road and called the hotel directly, I was told that they did have a King bed with jacuzzi available. I can happily announce that I wasn't disappointed with the price (which was much lower than what was on the website)!

We got in a little later than we had planned and we already had dinner reservations with our clients, so we called the hotel to try to reserve our room (and price) with a credit card. We were (happily) informed that they didn't need our card to reserve the room or price. When we finally got to the hotel past midnight, we checked into a 3 bedroom suite (#1014) for less than the price of the stated one bedroom King! Unfortunately, we did encounter a few problems with the room - which was probably a result of this economic downturn: The smoke detector battery needed to be replaced; knob to the jacuzzi broke when turned; drain stop to jacuzzi didn't close; and the roman shade in the master bedroom was broken. Thankfully all of these issues were resolved promptly, however, I couldn't help but wonder if these issues were the real reason why our room was so deeply discounted.

Nevertheless, the suite was spacious and clean in spite of the fact that some of the wood furniture was showing some signs of wear-and-tear around the edges. The area of the hotel is quiet, and the hotel itself seemed to be sound-proof (I never heard anyone coming or going on our floor; never heard a sound from rooms above, below or next door). The outdoor pools were closed, but still pristine. You couldn't ask for a better location for an oceanfront room. The view is absolutely amazing! Easy access to the beach from the hotel, as well as from the area surrounding the hotel. A bonus: the entire hotel is non-smoking!

I don't know what the rates are for this room during peak season, but I can honestly say that unless some renovations are done, I wouldn't pay more than $200/night. The deeply discounted rate is what made it worthwhile to stay in our room during this trip. However, I do plan to come back again for a family vacation. The 3 bedroom suite is really quite comfortable (particularly if you are a fan of island decor).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2009

My husband and I stayed here last summer with our 3 kids ( 14, 12, 5) last summer and had a fabulous time. We have stayed at several MB hotels/condos and nothing has compared to Island Vista. We are returning again this summer and I can't wait!
The location is fabulous and the rooms are fantastic! Gorgeous views! The pool area is top-notch!!!! Pool bar and live music too!
The staff was very friendly as well. You will not be disappointed if you stay here!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Dansweetea
Reviewed 20 January 2009

My wife and I are considering buying in the Myrtle Beach area, either time share of direct property ownership. For that reason, we've decided to stay in a couple of different locations over several weekends. After shopping around for the best rates I booked 3 nights (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ) at the Island Vista. Later, due to some weather concerns, I added a 4th night, Monday. The check-in and housekeeping staffs were professional, helpful and friendly. The reservation was booked in thru the hotel's Reservation Manager, Chris. During our stay there were some problems with the resturaunt. The usual wait-staff was courteous, friendly and very attentive. One of the nights the resturaunt manager was our waiter. Even tho we were told later he had 10 years of experience we couldn't tell. We got little to no attention, it took an extraordinary amount of time to even get our salads and the food came out cold. There was a forced gratuity of 18% on the bill which, after I complained, the hotel removed. The day before our scheduled checkout the weather where we lived was forcast to be very bad: snow, black ice and unusually cold. There were severe driving hazard warnings. I asked Chris (the on-duty Manager) if we could have a late check out (an additional hour) on the following day to be sure it would be safe to drive back. He declined my request stating it was against hotel policy to allow for any late check outs, that his housekeeping staff had to get in and clean rooms as he was short staffed and it was not in-season. I checked later to see if the room was booked for another or if they were full and badly needed the room only to learn there were so slow, they'd closed the resturaunt (without notifying the guests, by the way). The morning we were to check out, I checked again and even more weather was forcast for home so I made reservations to stay a couple of additional days at another hotel and checked out. When paying the bill I asked Chris why he'd declined my request and he said it simply wasn't allowed as his staff had to clean the rooms once they were vacated. I asked if he and the hotel considered the needs of their staff to be more important than the traveling safety of thier guests and his answer was:...............................YES. I know that sounds unbelievable but it's what he said. I was floored. He went on to say he'd given me a good discount and didn't understand why I was making such a big deal about my request for the one hour. I then asked if he felt discounting a rate meant discounting service and standard courtesy. I went on to say I felt so strongly about this I'd be making entries into TripAdvisor letting others know of my experience there and with him and he said: "Have at it!". So I"m "having at it" and letting readers know of our stay. Perhaps yours will be different. Perhaps it won't. Their staff is wonderful and the rooms good, but I will not stay in a place or spend my money where someone tells me and actually believes their booking is enough and the safety of guests and their families is secondary. I won't stay there and won't buy property there. There are some wonderful resorts in Myrtle Beach. For us, this wasn't one of them. If Island Vista holds us and our well-being in such low regard before we buy, what might it be like for us after the sale closes? Too chancy. I only asked for an hour.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank enjoyinglife2
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We are looking to purchase a condo in one of the beach resorts in myrtel beach, so we decided that we would look during off season at several of the resorts in order to choose the one we think would be the better fit...I am in a wheelchair and my husband also has some health issues that need careful consideration.
We arived at Island Vista on a friday..when we arived the staff was wonderful, very accomodating and friendly....There was an issue with the room and this was solved very quickly, When we made the reservation we always ask about the pool temperature because with my health concerns I can not use water under a certain temp. because of severe cramping, The person we talked to said 80 degrees. When we arived it was 72 so I was not able to use this area..That was one of the issues but not the most significant one. There was also the restaurant. Tthe atmosphere was beautiful and the waiters were wonderful. One of the evenings we went for dinner it was quite crowded . We were seated (we had reservations). The waiter was not dressed in uniform so I am not sure if that is his usual position ignored us the whole evenining. Anything we asked for took a long length of time and when we did get food it was cold. Added to our bill was a 18% gratuity charge which my husband asked to be removed for poor servise. Then there was the last incident and to me the most inconsiderate. We have been a the hotel now for 4 nights and we were to leave the next morning...When we listened to the forcast for our home it says they were expecting a snow storm and already the schools were closed so if course thats a concern for anyone especialy being in a wheelchair so we of course had to make other arangments for our return home. My husband went downstairs and spoke to one of the managers and asked if we may have a late departure of a hour because of the weather and that arrangments had to be made, the manager stated no because the cleaning staff must do the room as soon as we leave, but they also asked if wanted to stay another day. that tells me that the room wasd not booked. In my opinion I believe that they were using the weather to get us to book for another day. I felt that they were much more accomodating to their staff than to their guests. So my recommendation is that you think carefuly especialy if you have a disability of any kind before staying here.

Stayed: January 2009