“After further review................GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!!”
Review of Island Vista

Island Vista
Ranked #7 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Youngstown, Ohio
“After further review................GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!!”
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Hello Everyone,
Not ever writing a review about a hotel before, but using TripAdvisor to pinpoint where we stayed, I needed to let everyone else know what I found.

My family, 7 of us booked a 3 bedroom condo. We arrived early due to a morning flight. Once at the hotel we were informed that our room was not ready. I requested a room as soon as possible due to my handicapped mother. The staff told me to check back in within the hour. At the hour mark I checked in at the front desk with a lovely woman, Tracy. Tracy was very polite, courteous and very professional. She was able to locate us a room and get us situated hours ahead of normal check in. Thank you Tracy!!!!!!

Our room was very spacious, clean and well stocked. We had cookware, plates, cups, glasses, silverware and all kitchen appliances. This all came in handy. Our group doesn't go out to breakfast or lunch. We visited the local grocery store, (go early or late to beat crowds), picked up breakfast / lunch supplies and we were able to "cook" in all week with no issues. The hotel provided dishwashing soap for dishwasher.

Day to day our group alternated between the beach and pool area. Claim "your" pool chair early or you will hard pressed to locate another. I'm an early riser, so claiming "my" spot was easy at 6:30AM. Most chairs / lounges were claimed before 8:30AM. The hotel has signing saying no reserving of chairs, but it's not enforced. It's really a non issue, I seen no one complaining. You might not get the exact chair you had yesterday, but you sat close by. The only issue I seen is the groups or families who rearrange an entire section of chairs to accomodate themselves. Including moving "your" chairs to get themselves more shade tree space.

The pools are fine. Nothing real fancy. Depth 5 feet to shallow wading area. Lot's of kids! Lot's of little kids! No lifeguard so parents must keep track of their children. It's noisy, but hey it's a family resort. If you only want adults at your pool, you need to go somewhere else. During the week you have two different people playing music near the pool bar. Nice touch! Not knowing their names, they did an excellent job! The pool bar was great, food and drinks, and the mango flavored frozen Mai Tai, WOW! It's a little pricey but heck your on vacation! The also have people walking around with menus so you never have to leave your pool chair! It was HOT this week so a frozen drink while cooling off in the pool was wonderful!

Having traveled to Myrtle Beach many times, the resort seems it's the closet to the ocean than many other hotels. This was a plus with my handicapped mother. Having her walk the shorest distance possible was great. Also having her transverse the fewest amount of steps was good too. Also the pools are equipped with handrails in the pool itself to aid in a handicapped person entering and exiting the water. Again, Nice Touch!

Reading some of the other reviews, people complain about the parking garages. Sure they're small and tight. But they have strategically placed mirrors which aid you around those corners. If your a competent driver, take your time, go slow and you won't have any issues. Back in to your spot! Like the sign reads, "It's easier"!

Island Vista was great! No issues, no problems, book your trip without hesitation!

Another fantastic trip to Myrtle Beach!

Thanks again to the staff! Especially Tracy!

2 Thank Fausdick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2009

My family has just returned from our stay at Island Vista, Myrtle Beach. All in all it was a good stay but I have to be honest and say I wasn't blown away. The staff was very friendly and polite. Our view was magnificent. The pools were nice. The beach was beautiful. The room was very spacious and was clean for the most part (a little dusty). I was however, very disappointed with how dingy the white towels and white sheets were. I mean, some of those towels looked as if someone washed their body without soap and would never be white again. I was taken aback by how dirty and dingy some of them looked. For the money, I expected better. We normally pack our own sheets and towels to take because I am a bit of a germ-a-phoebe but I let my guard down a little bit with this place. Needless to say, I went to Wal-Mart to buy linens after the first night. We also had a problem with our toilet flushing which became a little bit of a nuisance. Maintenance did come up and fix it not too long after we called the front desk about it, so that was good. I also think that some of the furniture is in need of replacing. The carpet was a little worn too. The tiki bar was nice. Depending on what you ordered, it could be a little pricey. It would have also been nice to have music playing throughout the pool area. Aside from the occasional live performance, there was no music playing.

Upon arrival, we received a $25 gift card to the Cypress Room restaurant in the hotel. We decided to try the place on last night there. Boy were we sorry we did that! I have to say, the meal was very disappointing. It was too expensive and not very tasty. My husband and I both had the flounder and crab chef's special. My flounder was burned on the bottom and the texture made it pretty much inedible. After spending $98 there, we left and went to Olive Garden to eat because we were still hungry. I guess I should note that the kids did enjoy their meals at the Cypress Room (fried shrimp and french fries). They just had dessert at Olive Garden. We used room service once for pizza. It came quickly but wasn't the best pizza we'd ever eaten.

Like I said, overall it was a nice place to stay. It's definitely not a "luxury" hotel by our definition but it is nice. Our kids loved it. We couldn't get them out of the pools. Our 9 year old daughter loved, loved, loved the view. I think it's a nice place to take your family. Our son made a couple of new friends during our stay. It was a very nice atmosphere. We would stay there again and would recommend others to do the same. Should we return, we will however, be sure to bring plenty of our own sheets and towels. I would advise you to do the same.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 24 August 2009

The resort is located in a nice area, but you can tell that it is a renovated resort. For the cost of this resort, I expected more. When I arrived with my family, I found that I could not use one of the carts to unload my many suitcases and baby items myself, but that a "doorman" had to load and unload my items for me. The reason given by the doorman was that "the customer's could damage the walls of the condo units when using the carts". I'm thinking that the guests who are renting these condos would be intelligent enough to not purposely tear the rooms up with a cart. I let the doorman take my things to my room when arriving, but chose to keep my tip money when leaving and made 10 trips back and forth to from the room to the car when leaving.
Then once I unpacked, went grocery shopping and came back to the condo to go to sleep, we found that our linens had not been changed from the guests before us. The beds had been made, but crumbs were in the bed. I'm thinking that because the resort only changes sheets every 4th day, that the people who left before us made their beds and housekeeping must have assumed that the linens were changed. There were also two dirty towels left hanging on the back of the door and a pair of men's swimming trunks left in the washing machine. I was staying in room 308 if the gentlemen who left his trunks would like to retrieve them from housekeeping. Anyway, because it was after midnight when we noticed that the beds had not been changed, the security guard brought us up new linens and we then had to change bed linens at 12:30 at night after a 7 hours car ride and grocery shopping with fifty million other people. The cleaning staff did change our linens again the next day which was nice.
The parking garage is a nightmare if you drive anything other than a golf cart.
One of the pools was missing tiles and if you want a decent place to sit, you have to go down to the pool and claim a spot by 8 or 9 am.
Also, right outside of our condo unit was a brown steel door that appeared to be a storage closet, but it was an openning to another door that lead to a conference room which had really loud music one evening. I was glad to see that they were gone when we returned to our room from an evening out.
The bedrooms back right to the hallway that everyone uses to get to their rooms so you have to keep the curtains pulled to have privacy.
Overall, we had a nice stay after the linen issue, but I will be staying back at Royal Palms next year. You get a much nicer condo there for the same amount of money that you spend at Island Vista.

2 Thank ariesangel1973
OH
Reviewed 20 August 2009

This was our 2nd stay at Island Vista and it was great! Our condo was spacious, very clean and we had a great view! The staff was also great!!

We will definitely be back!

winston-salem
Reviewed 19 August 2009

My family and I have vacationed at Myrtle Beach for 45 years. The Island Vista is the best hotel with the best location on the entire Grand Strand. It has something for everyone. But the best feature is the staff and management make you feel welcome; like you are at home.

We have stayed at many Myrtle Beach hotels and recently tried a few others when the old Sea Island was torn down and the Island Vista was built. We are happy to be back home at the Island Vista and I don't think we will stay anywhere else.

North Carolina
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Another wonderful year at Island Vista! Three years ago, we took my 90 year old mother-in-law for her first trip ever to the ocean. I did not think it could get any better than the look on her face at the luxurious amenities and beautiful oceanfront. It gets better every year. If you want first class furnishings, spacious balconies, privacy when you want it and attention when you need it, you must try Island Vista! Everything as nice as home and many things nicer, an attentive staff and deals! Yes deals! Lots of fun activities for children (and the young at heart!). If you are lucky enough to be there for the Hawaiian night, take advantage of it. Inexpensive enough, the food is wonderful and the entertainment is incredible. Gorgeous pools! Lazy river! Delicious food - either at the Tiki Hut by the pool or the Cypress room! Make this your next beach destination. You will NOT be disappointed!

NYC
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Just came back from spending another four days at this beautiful resort!
We were here in June and came back again to experience what we had enjoyed and we did!

Wonderful pool and beach area....and I can't say enough ,again. about the food at the cypress restaurant....delicious breakfast and dinner!

A truly enjoyable vacation......and yes! we certainly will be back again!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple