Myrtle Beach was on my radar after I saw the movie "Shag" when I was younger. I wanted to dance at every beach party and have fun with friends. I was able to go in the 80's and enjoyed it immensely. It was a beautiful place. Clean and crawling with families, young people and energy, South Myrtle Beach was put in the fond memories section of my brain.
When we were looking for a family road trip and thought about southeast I was excited to look into this opportunity for all of us. Considerable research showed that Myrtle Beach had definitely changed but every place changes. I figured it would be just like Cripple Creek, Colorado changed; malls, Applebees and a need to search for the small spaces that are the whole reason tourist dollars went there in the first place. When will destinations learn we can go to Logan's Steakhouse at home?
I wanted an exciting adventure that revolved around my children's interests. That want lead me to Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort. The boast of the largest waterpark in all of the resorts in Myrtle Beach, a family pack that included an amusement park nightly and scheduled activities at the resort made me confident that we could adapt through the negative comments left by previous travelers. When I made the reservation I was told how lucky I was with the date I picked because the following week was bike week and how much we would all enjoy our stay. I was excited.
First, there is basically one road into Myrtle Beach and it takes FOREVER to get down this road to the resort area. While we were driving along we noticed there were bikers everywhere. Hmmm. When we finally arrived to the resort, they had blocked off the front drive and all parking lots around the lobby. I had to be dropped off a block away to walk to the lobby for check in. They had security surrounding the lobby entrance but they seemed to be doing nothing and gave us, the paying customer, no information on what we should do. Walking towards the front door I noticed hot tubs shoulder to shoulder with bikers, some still in their leather vests! Now, as much as I found this sight entertaining, I wondered where my children could go without drunk people. I checked in at which time they told me bike week started that day and lasts for 2 weeks. They also told me that the free family photo included in the family package was really an id we have to get to enter the theme park and other areas. They told us after we get in our room that we needed to immediately walk 3 blocks to the photo place inside the arcade and get this done before they closed or we wouldn't have access to things my kids would want to do. I was not happy about this turn of events but I'm adaptive so I can work with this.
I called my husband to come pick me up at which time a security guard was out in the main road stopping traffic so some bikers in an SUV could back out. I walked behind the security guard at which time a drunk, unkempt woman stuck her head out the passenger window and started screaming curse words at me. It was like an Eddie Murphy stand up routine with a Jeff Foxworthy accent. The security guard did nothing. My husband pulled up and the lady kept screaming even as I am entering our minivan which is obviously filled with children. The desk staff told me there were probably no parking spaces anywhere, especially since they had roped off several parking lots (there was NOTHING in the lots) and we may have to drop our bags out at the building and park a mile or more away. Luckily, a family was leaving and told us we could have their space. As we walked to our room we couldn't even hear each other from the roar of the motorcycles. We got to our room on the 4th floor and it was like being in a dungeon. It was NOTHING like the photos. When I say nothing like the photos I mean nothing. The musty smell was impossible to get used to. The walls looked like a haunted mental institution and the beds were almost crusty. Even my boys didn't want to sit on the sofa. I picked up the phone in the bedroom to call the front desk. It was so loud in the front room I wouldn't been able to hear with the motorcycle noise. That phone didn't work and had no where to plug it in. I was transferred 7 times, three of which were disconnected. I finally just walked to the front desk and was told there were no other rooms available and no play areas designated specifically for children. They told me we were in one of their very best rooms and it would do no good to upgrade anyway. Needless to say, I got my money back and we went to North Myrtle Beach to an extraordinary condo rental right on the beach with 2 lazy rivers, 2 pools, 3 hot tubs and an ocean which was the same price and a million times the vacation we would have had at Sea Mist, biker week or not.
Don't fall for the hype. The water park isn't big and the rooms are super crappy. If you do go I would take lots of linens to put over everything to sit and sleep on. I would take shower shoes and antibiotics. You know, Adaptive Travelers, I live to adapt. But, this was one time it wasn't worth the trouble.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 15 acres with 19 buildings and 800 units ranging from regular hotel rooms, to suites, cottages, penthouse, and apartments. Conveniently located at 1200 South Ocean Boulevard in Myrtle Beach close to all the local attractions, amusements, shopping outlets, and favorite restaurants. Specializes in family vacations, championship golf packages, Myrtle Beach adventures, and group travel. Has the largest selection of resort amenities in Myrtle Beach including the largest on-site water park with a 370 foot long, 7 foot wide lazy river, and a 3,000 square foot oceanfront children's activity pool. Multiple restaurants, tavern, arcade, underground walkway under Ocean Boulevard, ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sea Mist Oceanfront Hotel
- Sea Mist Myrtle Beach Sc
- Sea Mist Resort Myrtle Beach
- Myrtle Beach Sea Mist Resort
- Sea Mist Motel Myrtle Beach
- Hotel Sea Mist Oceanfront
- Myrtle Beach Oceanfront Resort
- Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort Myrtle Beach
- Sea Mist Resort Sc
- Sea Mist Hotel Myrtle Beach South Carolina