“Very nice”

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #167 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Very nice”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with my stay and my room. After reading some of the reviews i was a little nervous at what i would find once i got there. I loves my room. I had a family suite. This is a very family friendly hotel. If you go, i really recommend the family package, well worth it! We only spent money on souvenirs! Ready to planwas another trip!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
Glen Carbon, Illinois
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Myrtle Beach was on my radar after I saw the movie "Shag" when I was younger. I wanted to dance at every beach party and have fun with friends. I was able to go in the 80's and enjoyed it immensely. It was a beautiful place. Clean and crawling with families, young people and energy, South Myrtle Beach was put in the fond memories section of my brain.

When we were looking for a family road trip and thought about southeast I was excited to look into this opportunity for all of us. Considerable research showed that Myrtle Beach had definitely changed but every place changes. I figured it would be just like Cripple Creek, Colorado changed; malls, Applebees and a need to search for the small spaces that are the whole reason tourist dollars went there in the first place. When will destinations learn we can go to Logan's Steakhouse at home?

I wanted an exciting adventure that revolved around my children's interests. That want lead me to Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort. The boast of the largest waterpark in all of the resorts in Myrtle Beach, a family pack that included an amusement park nightly and scheduled activities at the resort made me confident that we could adapt through the negative comments left by previous travelers. When I made the reservation I was told how lucky I was with the date I picked because the following week was bike week and how much we would all enjoy our stay. I was excited.

First, there is basically one road into Myrtle Beach and it takes FOREVER to get down this road to the resort area. While we were driving along we noticed there were bikers everywhere. Hmmm. When we finally arrived to the resort, they had blocked off the front drive and all parking lots around the lobby. I had to be dropped off a block away to walk to the lobby for check in. They had security surrounding the lobby entrance but they seemed to be doing nothing and gave us, the paying customer, no information on what we should do. Walking towards the front door I noticed hot tubs shoulder to shoulder with bikers, some still in their leather vests! Now, as much as I found this sight entertaining, I wondered where my children could go without drunk people. I checked in at which time they told me bike week started that day and lasts for 2 weeks. They also told me that the free family photo included in the family package was really an id we have to get to enter the theme park and other areas. They told us after we get in our room that we needed to immediately walk 3 blocks to the photo place inside the arcade and get this done before they closed or we wouldn't have access to things my kids would want to do. I was not happy about this turn of events but I'm adaptive so I can work with this.

I called my husband to come pick me up at which time a security guard was out in the main road stopping traffic so some bikers in an SUV could back out. I walked behind the security guard at which time a drunk, unkempt woman stuck her head out the passenger window and started screaming curse words at me. It was like an Eddie Murphy stand up routine with a Jeff Foxworthy accent. The security guard did nothing. My husband pulled up and the lady kept screaming even as I am entering our minivan which is obviously filled with children. The desk staff told me there were probably no parking spaces anywhere, especially since they had roped off several parking lots (there was NOTHING in the lots) and we may have to drop our bags out at the building and park a mile or more away. Luckily, a family was leaving and told us we could have their space. As we walked to our room we couldn't even hear each other from the roar of the motorcycles. We got to our room on the 4th floor and it was like being in a dungeon. It was NOTHING like the photos. When I say nothing like the photos I mean nothing. The musty smell was impossible to get used to. The walls looked like a haunted mental institution and the beds were almost crusty. Even my boys didn't want to sit on the sofa. I picked up the phone in the bedroom to call the front desk. It was so loud in the front room I wouldn't been able to hear with the motorcycle noise. That phone didn't work and had no where to plug it in. I was transferred 7 times, three of which were disconnected. I finally just walked to the front desk and was told there were no other rooms available and no play areas designated specifically for children. They told me we were in one of their very best rooms and it would do no good to upgrade anyway. Needless to say, I got my money back and we went to North Myrtle Beach to an extraordinary condo rental right on the beach with 2 lazy rivers, 2 pools, 3 hot tubs and an ocean which was the same price and a million times the vacation we would have had at Sea Mist, biker week or not.

Don't fall for the hype. The water park isn't big and the rooms are super crappy. If you do go I would take lots of linens to put over everything to sit and sleep on. I would take shower shoes and antibiotics. You know, Adaptive Travelers, I live to adapt. But, this was one time it wasn't worth the trouble.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank AdaptiveTraveller

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

All I can say is...gross...eeewwww. Will not be returning to the Sea Mist. Ever. The first sign that something was majorly wrong was the fact that, while they have a coffee maker and mugs in the room, they don't provide any coffee. Had to pay 8.00 for a small container of Folgers across the street. Secondly, the bathroom had NO power outlets...in fact, the only ones available were behind the dresser and behind the refrigerator. The biggest trauma was waking up to a giant, mutant roach on the floor beside my bed. In hindsight, I should have put a saddle on it and ridden it around the area...the hotel staff tried to sway me by explaining that it was a Palmetto bug. FYI, this is simply the scientific name for the "LARGEST species of cockroach". There was a huge gap under the door where the maintenance people decided it wasn't a big deal if there was a two-inch entrance for all manner of arthropods and insects to get cozy in the rooms....got rid of the first one, then lo, there was a second one the next day, sunning itself on the curtains...it was also communicating to the centipede on the floor nearby. Seriously, unless you don't mind a caffeine-free existence while roughing it with no outlets and various species of insects, find another place to stay. Oh, and the pillows are a joke. Piled three on top of one another and still felt as if I was lying flat on a bare mattress.

1 Thank kimberlyraya
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We went to the Sea Mist in August 2010 and our trip wasn't so good. We stayed in the sandcastle part of the resort. When we got into our room, we found that our one tv was missing the power on and off button. We also relized that our sliding door was off the rail. So we called a maintence man to come and fix it but before he got there the door fell off and almost flipped over the balcony into the pool area. There were also some good things like they offer you a waterpark on there site so u can cool down and there are also 12+ pools to go swimming in. Also there is a movie theatre that plays just like a real movie theatre. It was also close to the boardwalk and waterpark and they gave us a free complimentary passes to the waterpark. Also our room wasnt clean, we found a cigarette under the pull down bed. There are cons and pros of every hotel, but here are my pros and cons of the Sea Mist. I hope they help you.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Mebane, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Sea Mist is a hotel that I remember going to as a child. It was great then and it's still good now but they just haven't changed the decor in 20 some odd years which sometimes makes the hotel look old and worn out but it still has a water park on site with water slides and lazy rivers for guests there (at $1/person/day) which I think is great and beats having to pay a higher amount to go to a bigger waterpark for one day. It's perfect for a family with kids with putt putt and a mini waterpark separate from the larger waterpark for smaller kids, has an arcade and several restaurants on site. Overall a good value and pet friendly!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Troutman, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed briefly in the oceanfront building. 2 very small, very slow elevators for a large building. The entire complex was extremely dated, worn out, unkept, but crowded. The beach is clean, the room was fairly clean but disappointing in the maintainence and amenities. No sink in our kitchenette to wash dishes. The bathroom has a funny smell, poor chaulking and ? mold in the corners. If you plan to stay out from sunrise to sunset and use this as a flop house, book away. But this is a place that has hard working staff and very very little put back into the property's upkeep or beautification. Chipped paint, small hot tube, few signs to direct you around a massive property. May be tough to get the elderly, disabled or toddlers around. Just wanted to warn you.

Room Tip: The ocean view was fabulous, but couldn't make up for the beatup balcony
1 Thank Rene W
Commerce, Georgia
Reviewed 24 June 2012

My family and I visited Myrtle Beach at the beginning of June and were very disappointed! We reserved 2 rooms that would sleep 5 with a kitchen and the photo's information posted online are of another one of the chains hotels(which is on the beach). We were ok with not having beach view however when we got there our rooms were across the street from the beach--. The rooms we were in were in terrible shape- they were old and run down! The safe wouldn't work and to make matters worse there was a black dirty sock left in the safe! It get's better- we had no smoke detector either- which the maintenance man came and placed after we complained. Also- the WIFI wouldn't work unless you were in the hotels lobby, which was a block away from the rooms: who wants to go sit in the lobby!?. There's more: the drink machine had hot drinks in it, the TV's had a fuzzy picture, when our rooms were cleaned the trash was never emptied(we would call to have it picked up after we set it in front of our door).Finally the icing that got us outta there: the elevator got stuck with a 13 year old boy inside for over an hour!! Can you say lawsuit!?
It was so bad we were scheduled to stay until Friday -we left Thursday! The ad's online were very misleading...

2 Thank Layla1981