“Nice vacation for the price”

Sea Mist Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #168 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ridgeley, West Virginia
“Nice vacation for the price”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I had doubts about making our reservations when I saw some of the other very bad reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the property is older and somewhat dated, but our room was clean and comfortable. We stayed Oct 2-9 in the Palms building with our Labrador pup. The staff that we dealt with was polite and friendly. The safe in our room wasn't working and after stopping by the desk, security and then maintenece immediately arrived to fix the problem. Maid service was hit or miss, but I can't fault them with having a pet in the room. My husband also slept late most mornings and we had the "privacy" sign on the door flipped. It wasn't any trouble though to ask for new towels, or garbage bags as needed. I wouldn't want to walk into a room with a strange dog either because I know not everyone crates their pet and some might feel protective about a stranger entering their space, so I don't fault them for that. On the days we were out of the room earlier and the pup with with us, the beds were made, towels changed, etc. We had everything we needed with a full sized fridge, microwave, galley stove, toaster, coffee machine and cookware/ plates/ silverware. We stayed in a family suite and I will say that for my husband and I it worked well. For a larger family, I do believe it would be rather crowded, so keep this in mind. There were 2 full sized beds in the bedroom area and a full sized "murphey bed" in the wall of the living/dining room area. Because we were in a "pet friendly" room, there was no carpeting- tile and floating floors. Worked well for us to sweep up any sand that made it's way into the room. Potty areas were a little problematic to find, but not impossible. I will say that the "dog run" area is a joke. I didn't allow my girl in the enclosure. It's small, sandy and behind the parking garage. There were bags and a trash can provided though, which was a nice touch. There are 2 large BARC parks within close driving distance too, so there are areas for your pets to run off leash and play. We made it to the BARC park north on 62nd Ave and highly recommend it. All in all, we had a wonderful vacation. The Sea Mist provided us a safe and comfortable place to rest and relax after a day spent on the beach. We're already talking about making another trip next year and also staying. Even being one street back in the Palms Building wasn't a problem with crosswalks and the under street tunnel near the office. I'm fairly certain we'll be back. It was a good value for the price paid.

Room Tip: I wouldn't want to be on the first floor during rain as the walkways did seem to flood a bit. Th...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
Fayetteville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I have never been to Myrtle Beach so finding a place to stay was not easy. We chose Sea Mist because of the deal they had for a 3 night stay in October. It was affordable and they showed they had many ammenities. We checked in at 2:30am and the staff was quick and friendly (even at that time). We were able to find our room easily and were pleased with the accomidations. The resort is an older resort and has some wear and tear, but it works well when you don't plan on staying in the room all day long. The floors were clean as well as the beds. The bathroom was fine and worked as needed. The staff was friendly all over the resort and the ammenities are true to pictures online. We had a side view of the ocean but it was still nice and we had very easy access to the beach. The loction is good as well. We will definately use this resort again when we return to Myrtle Beach!!

2 Thank Laura2478
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Save your money. this hotel is filthy?. My first room had
waste in toilet sand in the tub and pubic hair on the sheets. There was mold everywhere. The hotel changed my room and it wasn't any better then the first. In fact when I complained it was taken in a matter of fact attitude

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank yomamad

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Seguin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I visited Myrtle Beach from Sept 19-25th, and I stayed in the condo I had just purchased in the Driftwood Building. Do not listen to the other reviews. These people stayed in the older buildings that are going to be torn down when the economy gets better. The Driftwood and Tides Buildings are newer and were renovated in 2006 and sold as individual condos. Many of these owners have them in the rental program. Stay in one of the many condos available oceanfront in these two buildings. As an owner of a condo there, I can attest to the fact that they're nice and have excellent views. My condo has a full kitchenette as do many. Sea Mist still has plans to tear down the other buildings like they wanted to and to rebuild the new Sea Mist called Sea Mist Oasis. This was to be done in 2008 after the renovations, but it's on hold for a little longer thanks to the recession and real estate fallout in Myrtle Beach. Still, they will continue, and there is an owners meeting next March. As a condo owner, I can attend, and will be seeing what's up. Sea Mist has been a favorite establishment for people to stay for the last 50 years. This should tell you that it needs rebuilt. They were on time, but had to hold up. However, the two ocean front buildings I mentioned before were renovated and are awesome. You will also enjoy a movie theater, largest resort water park, on-site convenience store, great food including a breakfast buffet, walking distance to Family Kingdom Amusement Park, many pools, and great beach access. Don't listen to people about the pools and whatever else they say negative. Don't blame them. I would say the same thing if I stayed in one of the other buildings. It would make me be pissed off about everything. But, the Sea Mist overall is a great place, and your condo in those two buildings will be totally awesome. That is why you see 5's on here and then 1's. It's two totally different pictures. Plus, when Sea Mist, one of the most famous resorts in the area does rebuild, you should see even how much better it's going to be then. I'm going to be even happier I purchased a condo there. With real estate prices increasing in Myrtle Beach now for the first time this quarter, it's coming soon, and my investment and home is going to pay off HUGELY. Very satisfied.

Room Tip: Stay in the Tides or Driftwood Building. My condo is not on the rental program but many, and I mean...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 428JesseL
Tennessee
Reviewed 10 October 2012

I've been coming to the Sea Mist for over 20 years... It's old but very CLEAN, The view is Awesome we always stay in the Tides Building. The package we got for our Anniversary was a Great Deal!!! We received Breakfast, we received Dinner and let me tell you they have the BEST Places to eat on site! We also received a $20 Easy Cash Card as well as 2-Tks to the water park and 2- Drinks from the bar with the package. Parking was not a problem and the customer service and housekeeping do an amazing Job...... If you looking for a Hilton or a Hyatt keep on going! If your looking for clean and safe this is a Great Place to stay!!!

Room Tip: Tides Building is closest to the ocean..... We love the King Studio!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClintonChick
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed 9 October 2012

The ONLY reason this was given a poor rating instead of terrible was because of the price and the people.They are friendly and housekeeping gives you more than you need! Now let's move on to the "resort" (and I use that term VERY lightly)Check in was ok,until we had to get our stuff inside, the so called luggage carts.They were horribly old and in dire need of a replacement!The tires would go flat and make them impossible to move.The elevator was small , slow and smelly.The room at first glance is OK.There were 2 beds in the main sleeping area and a little wanna be couch and a chair and a mini kitchen in the front room.This was SPRAY OCEANFRONT building.When booking I was reassured a NON SMOKING BUILDING with internet access, and I was not only l lied to, but they just don't give a hoot.EVERY SINGLE NIGHT the smokers in the building would stand in the enclosed hallway and smoke. When the AC unit was on it sucked air through the front door and brought all the nasty smoke with it.I called about this issue and nothing was done.The entire Myrtle Beach area was nothing more than a cesspool of overpriced tourist traps and under kept hotels.The banners and signs read"Voted America's #1 Family Beach"....Well America if you voted this place #1 then you really need to get out more.Because there are MANY better places than this , and as far as the "Resort" is concerned, 2 Words , Smoky Ghetto!

1 Thank FlaPhotoGirl
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 October 2012

This is the third time, I have stayed at the Sea Mist Resort, each time has been awesome, the rooms are clean, the staff is polite and plenty of security around , I always felt safe.
Each time I have gone for Bike Week, there is a garage to park the bike and for the fall bike week, they have a very secure lot to park the trailer.
This Hotel is very accommodating to everyone, I will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends