“Clean, family beach resort.”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #47 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Before leaving for Springmaid Beach Resort, we were worried based on the mixed reviews. I think your opinion of Springmaid will definitely be determined by your expectations. If you go expecting an upscale, luxury, 5-star resort, you will be bitterly disappointed because that is not what Springmaid is. To get that type of resort in Myrtle Beach in the summer would cost double the rates that we paid at Springmaid. You have to be realistic. Springmaid is a very old resort. Some of the negatives that other reviewers noted, we found to be okay or even a positive. For example, the beds are very firm but we were thrilled by that. I have back problems and appreciated the firm beds. Slept like a baby! The resort is near the airport and planes do take off and land right over the resort. They are so low over the resort that you can almost see the passengers in the windows. We loved it. It was like free entertainment. There were no flights after 9 or 10 pm so noise was not a problem at night and the planes were sporadic at best-not a constant thing. We found the resort to be very clean. The pools were always sparkling. Would not hesitate to swim in them and I am pretty picky about cleanliness. Staff were constantly seen cleaning, vacuuming in hallways and picking up trash. We found no issues with cleanliness whatsoever. The breakfast buffet was a definite plus. I can't believe some reviewers even complained about that. From made to order omelets and make your own belgian waffles to fruits and cereals. It had it all. We ate there every morning. The pier is absolutely the biggest plus of all at Springmaid and is free to enjoy for guests of the resort. We enjoyed swinging over the ocean in the family sized swing on the pier. Many days we sat out on the pier instead of the beach when we didn't want to get all sandy. The burgers and club sandwiches at the pier grill were great. The onsite mini-golf was fun and free.
Now for the negatives and there were a few. We ended up in a 1 room suite in the center section of the Live Oaks building because that was all that was left. Although most rooms appear exactly like the pictures online, ours did not. We liked the fact that it had a sofa and chair, full sized frig and 2 flat screened TVs and was clean. However , the room was very dark and dreary. The flooring, drapes and bedspreads were a dark brown print. The door to the balcony was painted black. We had to leave lights on day and night. Kind of depressing. We also didn't like the location of our room. Our balcony was angled to face the right wing of the building. Our balcony overlooked all the other balconies on this wing and they overlooked us. Not very private and we had a more limited view of the beach. If the beach view and privacy is important to you, ask for a room on the beach end of one of the wings. They had a much better beach view and a little more privacy. If you want to be right at the pier, definitely ask for the Live Oaks building.
Overall, we felt our stay at Springmaid was very good. The staff were all very friendly and accomodating. We will go back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank manderzmom
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for listing your positives and negatives of your stay. The only way we in which we grow as a company, lodging facility and place of employment is by feedback from our guests. We work hard on the cleanliness of the resort and it is great to hear that our efforts have paid off. Thank you for making us apart of your vacation and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in the Palmetto building and like others was a little nervous after reading some of the prior reviews. The beach view and access is what made the overall stay a plus and was definitely a postive compared to the many negative experiences. The room itself was far below my normal standards. The elevator was mostly yucky,very hot and slow. I also agree with a prior review about the rate you pay as I expected much more for what we were charged and felt very gipped in the end. I'm not sure how often management checks the overall conditions of the rooms and breeezeways but I would suggest far more frequency. While having several pools options available, the upkeep needs to improve as I noticed way too much grime on the tiles during our entire stay. The plane noise was not bad as it did not last very long and was very infrequent. Again, be cautious and lessen your expectations and don't pay anywhere near full price.

Room Tip: Be careful!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on our property. I would like to apologize about the condition of the pools. We do try our utmost to keep them up to par and I feel that we fell short in this matter. We want to thank you for staying with us and we hope that we will see you again.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

We have stayed here a lot of the last 40 years. It use to be family friendly but has turned into a disaster on weekends. Family reunions have ruined this once great place to stay. They are allowed to party by the pool in front of palmetto building until 5 am...Drinking was going on and a fight broke out and police were called. Our doors were knocked on around the clock also...You could smell pot in the hallways and beer bottles laying in the hallway also. We got no sleep and decided to leave around 2am. There was absolutely no problem with ball teams, cheerleaders, or any othe groups except family reunions.

1  Thank BrianB04

Dear Past Guest,

I am truly sorry to hear that your recent stay with us was not as expected. We are a diverse property so I don’t want to portray different groups as good or bad. We host many family reunions though out the year, and all it takes is for one to ruin the expectation of what we have to offer for everyone. Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you will stay with us again.

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We were just there this past weekend with our 5 year old son and a friend. I booked a deluxe oceanview room with 2 queen beds. The beds in the room were musty smelling, we called about it and they sent a lady up with new sheets and comforters in a trash bag and then she left them, did not change them. we had to call them back, and about 10 mins later two ladies showed up and changed the sheets. The beds were supposed to be queen size, when i called about those, i was told they were hotel sized queen beds. They are doubles, not queens. I have been to several hotels and was actually given queen beds to sleep on. As for the oceanview, we were also again VERY DISAPPOINTED. It was a view of the lazy river at the Live Oaks building. When i called about that issue, i was told by the front desk that i would have to lean over the railing to see the ocean. what am i supposed to do when my 5 year old wants to see the ocean when he first wakes up in the morning, When my husband complained to the manager about all these issues, he was told they could change us to another room on another floor. we were on the first floor, so in order to see the ocean, if we leaned over far enough we would have farther to fall. NO THANK YOU! My son enjoyed the planes flying right over the hotel, he was the ONLY one. As for the food at marlins, we paid 27 dollars for crap. It was seafood on friday night, worst seafood ever. How can you screw up hushpuppies? they did!!!!
I will NEVER stay at this hotel again, and will recommend all friends and family not book here either.

Room Tip: Do not book the deluxe oceanview room!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2011

Dear Past Guest,

After reading your review, I am very disappointed that our accommodations were not to your satisfaction. We strive to accommodate our guests to the best of our abilities and I am sorry that we fell short in your expectations. I would like to apologize about the lack of ocean view from your balcony. We have palm trees on our property and over the years they have grown, blocking the ocean view on a few of our rooms. Had I been informed of your situation, I would have offered to move you to another building instead of just higher. We do have some beautiful views from our first floor in the Palmetto building. I hope that you would consider giving us another chance to leave a positive lasting impression.

Reviewed 31 July 2011

Have stayed there many times off-season, as part of a watermedia workshop. Really good beach hotel and lots of good food on the meal buffets!
Its own pier is good for fishing and people watching. Heated pool, gym, etc. Very friendly staff. Hanging original artwork makes it a virtual museum.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments! Good food, good fishing on our pier along with people watching and being able to enjoy all the original artwork hanging around the property while staying at the beach, who could ask for more! Thank you for continuing to make us a part of your vacation and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

Where to start . . Noise from the exterior hallways was horrible. Bathrooms had enough room for a shower that had no pressure and covered in lime scale and a toilet, one nearly has to be in the shower to shut the door. Rusted wall plates for the switches in the bathroom. A "heater" in the bathroom that nearly started a fire(Resort sits in Horry County and not the City of Myrtle Beach, not a very safe fire district). Sink was in the sleeping area. Microwave was scary(electrical hazard). Television(for rainy nights) was a 24 inch Tube, not a LCD or LED, with poor cable selection. Refrigerator had mold, and mildew. Beds where off the frames(two to three inches) and cut friend foot as she crawled out of bed first morning. Wall panels where poorly attached(glued) to walls and had large gaps and bowing where panels butted next to each other. Lamp was sitting bent and needed tightening at base, and there where missing wall decorations. . Elevator seemed to be constantly be out of service. trailer park across the road causes chaos with traffic due to the high volume of golf carts. Twice had to blow horn after respectfully waiting several minutes for carts to be moved. Resort manual in the room had a tidal charts from Sept. 2004 to May 2005. Room service menu was either very out of date or very inadequate(nothing for breakfast listed).

Pros - Exercise facility, slow quiet beach, nice pier, pools fun(loaded with chlorine though), staff seemed likeable

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I took my two year old son there for a long weekend trip. I am huge on reading user reviews before I go somewhere. The reviews I read were ok and the price for the mid-week special were good, too. We spent three night there and had a nice time. The room was clean. There were some flaws to it; however. The window treatment was attached to a large wooden board which was falling down, the rubber casing for the carpet was falling off, the shower head was so low that I had to bend my head back (and I am 5'3), and there was no fan in the bathroom which had allowed rust to form on all of the metal in the bathroom. The wi-fi was terrible. It had either no or very low service the entire time I was there. Here are some of the pro's: I liked that there was a full refrigerator in the room. The room had a great view of the beach and pier (I stayed in the Palmetto Tower). The grounds of the resort were very nice. There was plenty of space to swim, run around, and play. I saw many employees walking around picking up trash to ensure the grounds were maintained. Major negative thing: our first full day at the pool there was a dead bird floating in the lazy river. We opted not to use that pool not only b/c of the dead bird but the water was also greenish. Our room rate included breakfast. The breakfast included plenty of food options. Not the best quality of food, but easier than leaving the grounds to get breakfast. We stayed on the 1st floor and were fairly close to the parking garage. This made it pretty noisy at night. We would constantly heard car alarms, honking, etc. Our first night in was a Saturday and the resort had a band playing in the grassy area which happened to be right outside of our room. Music played until 10pm. It wasn't low key music but hard rock/alternative (I like that music but not until 10 with my two year old who desperately needed rest). Between the loud concert and the parking garage the volume was less than desirable. The resort is close to the airport so you have a lot of air traffic. You will see many low flying planes and it can get loud. I thought it was pretty neat being able to see planes that close. My son got a kick out of it, too. Overall, clean room, decent pools, sub par volume control. Don't pay full price for a room, but if they are running a special I would recommend.

1  Thank hb1216
hsimon, Front Office Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2011

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive and negative comments on your recent stay. I apologize about the loud music that you commented on. That is not something we do throughout the summer. That was a special function going on and we were not made aware of the concert you heard. We do have quiet time which is from 11pm to 8am; however, that does not excuse the volume of the concert. I don’t know if your other concerns were taken care of as I do not know what your room location was. If our guests call us voicing any kind of concern, we try to take care of it immediately. We would have gladly offered to move you to a more suitable location so your vacation would have been truly enjoyable. Thank you for staying with us and we hope your next visit you will be able to leave with a positive lasting impression.