“The best of South Myrtle Beach”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #36 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Weddington, NC
“The best of South Myrtle Beach”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

As far as South Myrtle Beach goes, this is as far as you can go: it borders the state park at the end of Myrtle. The property is decades old, intended as a destination for the Springmaid employees back in the days when the factory closed in the summer.

The massive grounds area is reminiscent of one of the Hilton villages (at bargain prices). These grounds are very well cared-for. The buildings sit slightly away from the ocean, allowing a nice view while alleviating the sound of crashing waves. The rooms have been recently renovated, very clean. No kitchens (microwave + full size frig), rooms come in four flavors -- queens vs king / Deluxe on the first four floors, Premium on the top two {unobstructed view}.

The Good: The gamut of activities from a multitude of pools, the pier, putt-putt, grounds games like volleyball; the city's art museum is even at the entrance. Good parking availability. The best WIFI I have experienced in Myrtle Beach. My first room refrigerator with an ice-maker that actually worked - no obligatory searches for the hallway icemaker with the associated "Am I on the right floor?" Plenty of pillows. Easy access shower wall dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel (unless you're a collector of hotel shampoo bottles). Attentiveness to guests - whenever you sign onto the internet, they have a "How's you visit" survey to which they respond if you advise any problems. Prompt, quick, and thorough maid service. Almost immediate hot water.

The Bad: That attentiveness is often misread: after I mentioned it would be nice to have a chair other than the two uncomfortable dining chairs, a maid came to see if our plastic patio furniture was still on the balcony; similarly, my request for soap for the shower yielded a check to see if the conditioner dispenser was full. When I asked the maid face-to-face for soap, she looked at the gel dispenser before she finally relented and gave me a couple extra bars. FIRM mattresses - if you're young enough, you can sleep on anything; at my age, you need something that gives a little more than the feel of a blanket over high tensile springs. They use a Charleston company to make their mattresses: I don't care what the cover is, it brought to mind the old blue tick. They are in the direct flight path of the MB Airport; those big passenger jets that get your attention fly over probably less than a half dozen times a day.

Before you think I hated it, we would go back again; I'd just bring my own chair and mattress topper. My wife is far more mobile than I: she loved the swing on the pier, the direct accessibility to our indoor/outdoor pool, wading in the ocean, Tuesday evening's fireworks show, and walking the beautiful beach straight into the state park.

Room Tip: To save the small difference between Deluxe and Premium, try to book early enough to request a fourt...
Green Features: Elimination of toiletries bottles, maintenance of green areas, duck walk warning signs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kenneth E
Donald H, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Kenneth E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your 4 star review of Springmaid Beach Resort. It is always wonderful to hear when we do a great job so we can pass the accolades on to our team. We appreciate you writing! We have forwarded your review comments about the patio furniture to our maintenance department for review.

We hope you get a chance to come back and see us again real soon. Thanks again for choosing Springmaid Beach Resort for your get-away!

Donald Hovis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Garner, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Clean rooms, movies on the lawn, a private pier, ample parking with actual room for bigger vehicles, great staff...What's not to like? The only thing missing was a hot tub. The One Room suites were quite roomy, although I thought the room would be separate from the living areas, which it was not. But, the room was quite large. Definately bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit and watch movies on the lawn at the end of the day.

Room Tip: The one room suites do not actually have a separate room but are definately larger than the non suit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nancy T
Donald H, Public Relations Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Myrtle Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Nancy T,

Your title says it all! "Such a great place to stay" That is what we strive to deliver. It is always great to hear when we succeed!

Thank you for taking the time to share all the lovely things you had to say about Springmaid Beach Resort! We appreciate the 5 star rating, and to have you here again for some more fun and relaxation. See you then!

Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed for 7 days at Springmaid Resort with our two family dogs in the Cypress Pet Friendly building. It was the best "pet friendly" room we have rented at the beach. It was very neat and clean and we felt very welcome with our pets. They have a fenced place across the yard to walk your dogs and the resort grounds and landscaping are very nice. Our room had a wonderful view and it was great to be on the first floor with our dogs. There is a pool bar just outside at Marlin's and they have the best grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. We had the breakfast buffet every morning at Marlin's and it was also delicious. RAY at Marlin's is super nice and he makes the best omelets. I am really going to miss having my special made omelet every morning with fresh cut fruit from the buffet bar. My daughter loved making her own waffles for breakfast. The pier fishing is fun and we also enjoyed eating at Barnacles. The hotel had a movie night outside on the lawn at the Live Oaks building and my daughter loved it...The pools are great very clean and well maintained it would be great if they had hot tubs. The hotel has excellent security and officers are always walking the grounds so you felt safe. Overall this hotel has great customer service and is very family friendly. We really enjoyed our stay we will return.

2 Thank Tiffany W
Dear Tiffany W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your 5 star review of Springmaid Beach Resort. It is always wonderful to hear when we do a great job so we can pass the accolades on to our team. We appreciate you writing! Your review comments have been shared with the entire resort management team. I enjoyed your review title "Best Beach Vacation Ever" and all of the wonderful comments you made.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is the best place we've stayed at Myrtle Beach, although it was quite a bit cheaper than other places we've stayed. Everything was clean and just had a good "feel" to it. All the staff were so hospitable. It seems safe and a great place to relax and have fun.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Palmetto building, but it appeared that all rooms have an ocean view. We were on t...
2 Thank Linda W
Dear Linda W,

Your title says it all! "Great Trip" That is what we strive to deliver. It is always great to hear when we succeed!

Thank you for taking the time to share all the lovely things you had to say about Springmaid Beach Resort! We appreciate the 5 star rating, and t to have you here again for some more fun and relaxation. See you then!

Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Took my Daughter-In-Law and 2 Grandchildren. They had never seen the Beach before, we all enjoyed our stay. If traveling to Myrtle Beach stay on South Beach, less traffic and private beach. Need not leave everything you need is there.

Room Tip: Ask for Premium View in the Palmetto Bldg top floors.
1 Thank Bernice331
Dear Bernice331,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your 5 star review of Springmaid Beach Resort. We appreciate all the nice things you had to say about us. We are thrilled that you were finally able, after so many tries, to join us and experience all we have to offer. We are glad you found your happy place, and look forward to having you back again and again. See you next time!

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My wife has visited Myrtle Beach a few times where as this was mine and my parents first visit. My wife and I stayed in the Live Oaks building (which looks like it was renovated) of the resort while my parents stayed in the Cypress building (looked run down and not yet renovated). Both rooms had great views and accommodations. The 18-hole mini-putt putt that's free for resort guests across the street from the hotels was great. The beach was nice as well as the pier. We got to see sharks swimming near the pier where fisherman were cleaning their catch at the few sinks lining the pier. Walking the pier at night was nice and peaceful and well lit. The breakfast in Marlin's Restaurant was good although a bit pricey at $22 for my wife and I. Although our experience could've been so much more. Both my parents room and ours had bugs in our rooms/beds. We had some kind of insect in between the sheets of the bed I slept in the night before. We felt uncomfortable in our beds after that. Somehow the toilet or shower of the adjoining room to us overflowed when the cleaning person was in there and it flooded our room while I was downstairs and my wife was just getting ready that morning. Someone from hotel staff brought in a large fan to dry our carpet out. My parents had numerous insects in their room in the Cypress building crawling along the beds, walls, and floor. There were roaches around and giant water bugs in the lazy river pools. My parents car was constantly bombarded with bird poop from the birds flying over the cypress building. All of the cars in the parking lot for the cypress building were covered in it. We could tell who the new guests were since their car wasn't covered yet. The rooms the heated pools are in are what's heated, not the pools themselves. This resort has many upsides and the location is perfect to be away from the bikers during Bike Week, but we will not be staying here again when we visit Myrtle Beach next time. My wife said she's had a better experience at a couple hotels farther north along the beach. Overall, once again our stay and experience could've been so much more.

Room Tip: Palmetto rooms closest to the beach have the best beach view of all the buildings.
2 Thank Chris B
Dear Chris B,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and comments on our most recent stay with us. Your review comments have been forwarded to our entire management team for review. I am very disappointed that our accommodations and resort were not to your satisfaction. We strive to accommodate our guests to the best of our abilities and I am sorry that we fell short in your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and we work to make our resort one everyone will want to stay. We appreciate you bringing this situation to our attention, and we value your comments, feedback and your business with us.I understand that you are leery of returning to our facility based on your most recent experience, however with the improvements we are constantly making to better serve our guests I can assure you that if you decide to return your stay will be one with positive memories.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I highly recommend Springmaid Resort. The staff is friendly. The pool area is always clean. The beach is cleaner than the other side of the pier. Although I didn't get a chance to go to the Barnacles, I'm sure it would have been great. Not going to Barnacles just gives me something else to look forward to the next time I go.

• Stayed May 2014