Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of The Palace Resort

The Palace Resort
Ranked #83 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Overall, we really liked this resort. Granted, it does need to be updated, but the view of the ocean from our room (20th floor) was great and trumped the need for updating. One thing we did not like about this hotel was the fact you had to access the elevators from the lobby. You have to take one elevator in the parking garage to the lobby, then use 1 of 3 elevators to get to your room. Our last day it was starting to get busy and it took awhile to get an elevator to use. The common areas of the hotel are in need of upgrading, but it was ok for the price we paid. I liked the fact you could walk right out to the beach as well. The breakfast buffet was always good and the staff was always helpful and friendly. The bed right next to the window was an issue with the sun coming in very early and waking us up, but is was a beautful view. I was a little scared when I saw some of the prior reviews, but please don't let them keep you from trying is resort. Please try it and make your own opinion.

Room Tip: The higher you are, the better the view of the ocean.
There are newer reviews for The Palace Resort

Reviewed 26 May 2013

I have come here for several years. The staff this time was excellent. I stayed on the 22nd floor, so had the hot tub up there and coin-op laundry, and not as much road noise....and an excellent view of the beach and midway in the distance.

Room Tip: I recommend the 2 bedroom suite with the separate living room/kitchen area. 2 bathrooms and 3 or mor...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Our view of the ocean from our room was breathtaking. To hear the waves crashing on the shoreline was so mesmerizing to me. To think that we were mere steps from such majestic beauty even while in our own suite was such a blessing to us.

This more than made up for the minor cons. The biggest of these was the state of the refrigerator in the unit. I'm not sure at what point it was became fist beaten but to find it in such a state when we came in to stay took a little of the wind out of my sails. Not that I was expecting absolute perfection but to find it in such an aweful state made me wonder who had been in that suite before. Though I'm not snobby, it just really put my mind in a place to wonder about the people who'd do such a thing to a refrigerator... and to know that they'd stayed there before us...

Simply changing out the refrigerator before we got there would have improved my opinion of the suite greatly from my current perception of it.

I have to say though, even considering this we greatly enjoyed our stay. The view of the ocean, the overall state of the suite, and the price of our accommodation balanced out well.

I wouldn't recommend it to the hoity toity people who'd be expecting a 5 start kinda thing. But to those of us who are looking for a good deal on a nice stay I'd highly recommend it.

We do plan to come back next year to visit The Palace and our own little spot on the ocean. :)

Room Tip: Higher rooms give a more spectacular view of the ocean
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I needed a break and wanted something nice at the beach, and calm. I got the rejuvenation that I longed for at The Palace. We had a very nice room on the beach, facing the ocean. There is nothing like waking up in the morning with the sounds of the beach at you balcony, and seeing dolphins playing in the ocean, really! I can't wait to go back. NM

Room Tip: Higher floors have beautiful panoramic views 24/7.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Ok, so where do I start? We booked 6 nights here and based on the reviews on TA, I definitely asked to see the room first. The staff at the front desk (and everyone in SC) is so damn friendly which was a great change from DC people. They will make you keys for as many rooms as you want to see.

Anyways, so you'll see in my pictures the first room where we spent two horrible nights (room was 2003). Fyi, this hotel is all privately owned condos. The hotel basically rents them out to visitors but the decor/furniture/maintenance is all done and maintained by the condo owner. However, you can complain about something not working or broken and the hotel people will fix it or move you. Anyways, so our room seemed fine but it wasn't until night that we hated our lives. The bed was a full (even though I booked a queen) and was the absolute worst mattress I have ever slept on. It is time for that owner to get a new mattress. There were bugs and hair all over the room. Cleanliness is definitely not this hotel's cup of tea. Everything else in the room is fine/functional, but nothing at all has the 'wow' factor. The view of the ocean is great, but it's hard to enjoy with a 4x4 balcony.

So after 2 nights from hell, we asked to change rooms. We saw 2 before we laid eyes on the one we loved. The first was one with a king size bed in a bedroom but it smelled soooooooooooo bad. What owner thought putting carpet all around was a good idea at a beach resort? So when we saw 2205 our jaws dropped. EVERYTHING in that room is brand spanking new and upgraded. Just see the pictures. My words won't do it justice. The owners really took care of decorating this room and picking out the best things. My only complaint of this room is that there was no dresser or somewhere to put your clothes other than the closet. There were about 6 hangers, so make sure you bring a bunch more if you think you'll need to put your clothes somewhere. So definitely ask to book 2205. You will not be disappointed.

Everything in the hotel looked like it could use a total makeover. The pool was freezing when we were there. There are 2 pools. One that is by itself and one that's near the hot tubs and kiddie pool. The one by itself was always so cold. And if it was a windy day, forget about it. It seems you were in this bad tunnel that caught the wind the worst. There was also a hot tub in the hotel on our floor (22nd) which I thought was weird, but hey whatever. I didn't use the hot tub or the other pool so I have no comments on it.

The beach is great. Not dirty, not crowded (at least when we went). But my advice, bring chairs/umbrella with you. They have chairs/umbrellas that can be rented for $30/day (insane!!). Or bring a towel and just lay out.

Lastly, the breakfast buffet that the hotel boasts is just average. It's nice that it's free, but it's not like OMG I'm in love with it or anything. They basically serve the exact same thing everyday. Three choices of juice (from a machine), coffee, Fruit Loops, Raisin Bran, some type of canned fruit (peaches, pineapple, etc.), jelly, butter, scrambled eggs, biscuits, gravy, some type of potato (either cubed or hash browns), and a meat or two (which are always pork products - bacon, sausage, etc.). The biscuits were definitely scrumptious and the breakfast is great for being free and will tide you over until lunch and sometimes even dinner.

Room Tip: You will LOVE 2205. Definitely ask to stay there. And definitely definitely definitely ask to see th...
5  Thank Baskooota77
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I previously stayed at the Landmark hotel (right beside The Palace) and there was no comparison. The room was far superior....furnishings did not look like they were from the '70s at The Palace! Considering the amount of traffic coming in and out of the hotel, the room was pretty clean. The view was AMAZING and access to the beach was convenient. When I was in my room, I heard nothing around us....except the ocean. It was a little piece of heaven!

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the elevator...I didn't ask for it but I got it and I really appreciated it!
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Great resort. Only 2 complaints: restaurant is not open in the evening and no room service.
Both are available in their sister property, The Landmark, where you also must go to get show tickets and golf info.
No guest services at the Palace.

• Stayed: May 2013