Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #81 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kingsport, Tennessee
“Decent Place to Stay!”
Reviewed 26 April 2009

We usually stay at the Meridian Plaza, but decided to try a different place; but The Palace has its' pros and cons like anything else. I really loved the kitchens the way they are laid out and the living & dining room is real spacious. Their pools are not heated, and there is no indoor pool, except in the winter months. They do have a real good breakfast that I'm proud to brag on; but we never had time to use the fitness room or the sauna. Overall, it's a decent place to stay in and had no problems with our room, but one night the cable went out. So we just opened our bedroom door and listened to the ocean waves which was beautiful! Other than the cold pool, it's a nice place to stay and the parking garage is nice too, and keeps you out of the rain, or wind.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kp51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
New York
Reviewed 20 April 2009

The room over all was very nice. It had a few flaws which I will get too but you could tell who ever had owend it took very good care of it. The second day thier the oven door fell on my foot so hard it shattered the top of the over door. I had to go to the ER for exrays to make sure my foot was not broke. I notified management but didn't seem too concerned and said he would give a discount. Well let me tell you for ruining my vacation because I had to limp around all week and could not do the things like walk the beach and ect. I got a lousy $33 for my pain and ruined vacation. If that wasn't bad enough the same am the towel rack in the bathroom fell on my other foot. Maintaince was very quick to come and fix both of these problems. Too bad he couldn't fix the foot. The best answer I continue to keep getting is that the insurance will handle it. Woopy. The other two rooms that my family rented were not as nice at all I do feel fortunate that the room overall was very clean. Can't say the same for them. I would recommend the Palace but be careful not all rooms are nice. And do not expect any sympathy if you get injured.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank 1810NewYork
stockbridge, mi
Reviewed 15 April 2009

The room we were given looked like a family was tortured inside. Torn curtains, whole's in the walls, broken dishes-mirrors, blood splattered. We were told it was that room or nothing- they were full. The staff advised me otherwise.When asked for another room the clerk & manager were rude and uncompliant and I was escorted out of the resort. The family who did this to this room were given another room. The remainder of the staff was appalled as well as our family. Stay Away.....

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Glen Burnie, maryland
Reviewed 13 March 2009

My family and I have stayed at the Palace resort in the past and loved it. this past summer when we booked out vacation, they told us that they were under new management and that when you checked in you had to do it at the Wave Rider across the street from the palace. We didn't think anything of it. Something that they never offered in the past was the free breakfast. We thought that was great...hold on it gets better(sarcasm)! We get to our room and I'm putting groceries away that we had just purchased from the store. As I'm putting the stuff away, there were cereal boxes that were left in the cabinets and there was a dirty diaper in an unlined trash can under the sink. Now, on the memo that is on the door, it states that the staff does a walk through before you leave. Well, I don't think anyone walked through that hotel room when that previous occupants left because if they did, none of that would have been there. Moving on...When we initially booked the room, we booked for a family of for. It wasn't until midnight (our first night there) when were were getting ready to go to bed that the room was only ready for 2 people and not 4. There were no additional sheets or blankets in the closet for the pull-out sofa. My husband went to the front desk( the actual palace resort) to get the stuff we needed when he was told that they couldn't give us anything because we didn't book through the palace. we booked through the wave rider. WHAT?...They told us we would have to get the items we need through wave rider, which was closed. Needless to say, I was furious. I don't care who we booked through, we were staying at the palace. Moving on...the next morning, we decide to cash in on the free breakfast. We stood in line and when it was our turn, we had to give the hostess our room number which was 201. She went down on the list and proceeded to tell us that according to her sheet, 201 is vacant. I had to show her my key to prove that we occupied 201. Anyway, the manage comes over and asks us did we book through the wave rider and of course we told him yes. He proceeds to tell us that the free breakfast is only for the customers that booked directly through the palace. Nobody told us any of this when we booked the vacation. When I called the number for the Palace Resort reservation, I called the Palace, not the Wave Rider. That was the most disappointing stay we have ever had there and unfortunatley that was our last stay there. If you are going to book a vacation at the Palace, make sure you are dealing with the Palace and not the Wave Rider. All the perks go to the customers that book through the palace. When you book through the Wave Rider, you don't get anything.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
pgw9393, property manager of Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent at the Wave Rider Resort at The Palace Resort, responded to this review, 28 March 2009
My name is Greg and I am the property manager for Myrtle Beach Rooms For Rent at the Wave Rider Resort. We manage various resorts including the Palace Resort, which happens to be located directly across the street from our office at the Wave Rider Resort. As the reviewer mentioned there are several rental companies who do business out of the Palace Resort. Through our website, confirmation letters we mail, and information we give the guest upon their arrival, we give the guest a basic understanding of what they are to expect and receive from us. Unfortunately most guests do not take the time to read anything we mail them or hand them. If the guest who wrote the above review had taken the time to read the information that was given to them, many of their concerns would have been addressed immediately. For instance, we do offer a free continental breakfast during the spring summer and fall. The breakfast is served directly across the street from the Palace each morning between 8:30 am and 10:00 am. Other perks that we offer that the front desk is unable to is 1) Our rates are discounted between 10% – 20% off what a guest would pay for the same type room if rented directly from the front desk. 2) Our guests have full access to the Palace as well as the amenities at the Wave Rider which includes a lazy river, inside and outside pools, kiddie pools, playground, shuffle board and a media room where the guest can view the internet or check their email from the privacy of a enclosed office. 3) All rental companies are required to collect $1.00 per day for the Homeowners’ Association at the Palace. We only collect the required $1.00 per night from our guest; however according to the website managed by the front desk it states that they charge a resort fee of $5.40 per night.
Every effort is made to inspect a room prior to a guests arrival, however even with a second person inspecting the rooms, no one is perfect and we may miss an item or two especially during our peak summer months when we have only a minimum amount of time to get the room ready prior to the next guest checking in. With that said we have replaced all but one our housekeeping staff since last year, we revised our housekeeping policies and finally we changed our cleaning supply company. And in the event that there is a problem after our normal business hours we do have an after hours person available who lives on site.
Long Island
Reviewed 10 March 2009

My wife and I had the occasion to spend a few nights in Myrtle Beach in December while I was there on business. Admittedly, the price was the attractive thing about this place - and in my case, I got more value than I paid for. Read some of these reviews and they're either great or horrible, telling me individual owners dictate the condition of each of these 300+ rooms. Our overall experience with room 1903 was better than average, particularly for the price. This suite was 1/3 the price of a Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express, oceanfront (albeit wintertime) with a free breakfast (not the Marriott buffett but it saves a couple $20 a day going out for food).. No wait on elevators, and a clean room with a newer mattress decked out with coordinated maple and stainless decor with panaramic windows and an oceanfront balcony. What else does one really expect for $50 a night? Lesson learned: .know who you're renting from, check the room if you can. One drawback, bar seems under utilzed. we and the bartender were the only ones there.

5 Thank BlackjackLarry
Baltimore
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We were quite hesitant to book our stay at the Palace but when we arrived at the privately owned and managed unit 1112 we were happily surprised. Everything looked just like in the pictures on their website. It was clean and well taken care of. We saw other units and they were in no way comparable. They have a on time final cleaning after you check out, but it was totally fine. The rate was absolutely acceptable and they returned the security deposit within the week after check out. I have to say they are very friendly and even helped real quick when our sink got clogged up. I would definitely come back here again and recommend it to my friends and family. You should look at themyrtlebeachcondo.com and not use the palace management as we heard many unhappy guests compalin about them. The owners of our unit were always quick in response instead.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelLadysWorld
VA
Reviewed 17 February 2009

All I can say is I'll NEVER skimp on a room again. The hotel is way outdated and the name is misleading. "The Palace" hardly! The elevators are extremely slow, any kind of room service is non-existent. We stayed there 4 nights and after the 2nd night they left new washcloths and towels on the kitchen counter. They do not come in and make up the bed or anything. I forgot to pack toothpaste, good thing there is a CVS is not too far away. Bring your own bathrobes and dish detergent. The tv's were from the early 90's I'm surprised they didn't have rabbit ear antennas. We made the most of our trip because we were together but the room was the pits. I paid my deposit and was quoted one price online then when I got there to check in it was another price (he said that the "resort" fees weren't included). I'd never stay there again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple