Message from TripAdvisor:

Ranked #84 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Bel Air, MD
“A Nice Get-Away”
Reviewed 18 June 2007

My wife and I stayed at The Palace during our son's Easter Break. We stayed in a first floor, oceanview sunsuite. We found the room to be very clean, and the beds were comfortable. We are now planning for a return visit to The Palace for a week in August.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Robsdad819

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
blabla
Reviewed 17 June 2007

We have stayed at the Palace for the past several years and it has gradually gone down hill each year. Some the rooms are in really bad shape. Each year we hoped that we would get a better room but we have finally given up.

The office staff are not helpful and very rude, this has been the case every year but even more over the past 2 years. This past year we arrived after a 6 hour ride at 2:30p.m. and asked very nicely if we could check in 30 minutes early? The older lady at the desk was very rude about it and then tried to tell me I couldnt get my 10% ( five nights or longer) discount that I was told on the phone they would give me at check-in.

last year I parked in the loading and unloading zone to unload. a few minutes later I came out to see a sticker on my window telling me to move? I thought this was what a unloading zone was for!! By the way, you cant get from your car to your room and back within 15 minutes because of the slow elevaters!!
There are only 2 for entire building sometimes you might have to wait 3 to 5 minutes for the ride that might stop 3 or 4 times before you make it to your destination.

They dont seem to be putting any money back into the building.
A little paint here and there but thats about it.

If you dont expect much it might be ok, dont book for a week and get stuck. wishing you were somewhere nice.

We have decided last year was enough after 6 years. We are going elsewhere in myrtle beach in sept 2007

Stayed September 2006
3 Thank blabla16

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

spyder209
Reviewed 13 May 2007

I have stayed at the Palace about 5 times. I cannot say enough about the view. The view from an upper floor sun suite is unbeatable by anyone at Myrtle Beach. You can see miles down the beach from the floor to ceiling windows and at night it is beautiful. However, it is the luck of the draw on how nice your room will be. The first couple of times that I went, I had no complaints. The Fourth time, my room was not kept up to standards. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the carpet was dirty, the bathroom was awful and old. Everytime I go, I get a sun suite, however everyroom is different. I was told by a guest once that they are all individually owned and that they owner can decorate anyway they choose. He told me that he owned one and that he picked out the decor. The last time I went, I took a group of friends. What a disaster. We booked 5 rooms. Our bathroom was falling apart. The doors were falling off the cabinets and the wallpaper was ripped. One of my friends rooms smelled like mildew for the entire 4 days. He kept his hallway door open to try to vent, but it was no help. The other rooms were fine, but I am tired of chancing which room I will get next time. There will not be a next time for me.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — old and dated rooms
  • Stayed September 2004, travelled with friends
1 Thank spyder209
North Carolina
Reviewed 12 May 2007

We have stayed at the Palace every April for 7 years and absolutely love it! We always get a sunsuite oceanfront. The rooms are always clean, well stocked (that means a coffeepot!!) and the staff are absolutely "on the ball". In fact, on our last stay, somebody was shooting off firecrackers on the beach at night and making a terrible racket. Since we were on the 7th or 8th floor and it was still annoying, one call downstairs was all it took. The activity stopped and the rest of the night we were able to just enjoy the waves lapping onto the shore. Since there are only two of us, the sunsuite is perfect. We recommend The Palace to everybody!!!

• Liked — Every room faces the ocean!!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BDMASSEY
Hamilton, Ohio
Reviewed 6 May 2007

I booked a Sunsuite #1606 from Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent -Greg Williams. I communicated with Greg several times via email before booking and found him to be pleasant and very professional.

The condo we had was clean, but had some wear and tear, but they were not cleanliness issues. It was Oceanfront with a small balcony. A/C worked great. The Palace had very clean interiors, and was in a good central location, no elevator problems, nice beach.

I would recommend you bring your own bath towels as it is much esier that way. If you want daily maid service it is $7 a day.

For the price I paid, I have no complaints, but I do have a couple of suggestions:

1. Replace the Mattress and pillows in the room as they were worn out.
2. Fix the lock on the balcony. Even though we were on the 16th floor, I still like to lock the doors.

I would stay there again and booking with Myrtle Beach Rooms for Rent is the cheapest and best way to go!

• Liked — Overall Value
  • Disliked — Matress on Bed
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mws813
TigerTown
Reviewed 19 April 2007

The Palace, Myrtle Beach, SC
Overall, we enjoy Myrtle Beach very much. We started staying at The Palace regularly several years ago after all of our kids flew the coop. My wife and I looked into The Palace via the web and hooked up with Greg Williams. Very accomodating and we have been very satisfied with his personal service, as well as the people when we check in. Location is great, the facility is always being cleaned (which means everything to us), and it's a good value for the 2 of us. The only issue at times is that the bed mattresses are often worn a bit too much and need to be replaced more regularly. The exercise room could use some updating but that is not a deal breaker.
We will continue to book our stays there through Greg Williams.

See you again soon.

Stayed October 2006
canada
Reviewed 9 April 2007

I feel I should warn people about the service and rooms offered by Rooms for Rent at the Palace in Myrtle Beach. We had the most horrifying vacation experience of our lives at this place.
The manager Greg (wouldn't give me his last name) was crude, unprofessional and unscrupulous. Our room was not clean. It was old and dingy. My 3 year old and 6 year old became congested within an hour of being in the room. It states no smoking yet there are ash trays in the room. We reserved a crib for my 3 year old. When we called for it the woman working the front desk told us that there was only one and she would have to close down the office and drag it across the street. No fit parent would place their child in this contraption. Then our phone didn't work properly. We tried to call friends and were told we would just have to take the stairs. After these 3 experiences my wife and I decided enough was enough and this is when the fun began.
We informed the front desk lady that we didn't wish to stay the week and we would check out the next day. They refunded our money but we paid for the night. At 9 pm my 3 and 6 year olds were asleep the Manager(Greg) calls and informs us if we are not staying we needed to be out in 15 minutes or he was calling the cops to remove us. We tried to reason with him as we paid for the night but he informed us the room was rented. So friends come and helped us move our kids to another room and our belongings. We cleaned the room and left is as we entered. I was made to wait in the office for 10-15 minutes while he inspected the room so we could get our money back. Upon his return I was handed the cancellation policy and told if the room got rented I would get a partial refund.
I also informed him that his dog urinated on the office floor and his words to me were I wish he urinated on you. My wife and I are both professionals and we have never been mistreated like this before. I'm embarrassed for the Palace which has to be affiliated with him and the condo owners he represents. Our experience was so horrific that we bought a time share while we were there so we would never be subjected to such low class treatment again. I hope people take this message seriously and the chamber reads this as well as the condo owners. My wife and I absolutely love Myrtle Beach and won't let one poorly run organization ruin it for us. I would like to thank Camelot Resort for listening to our story and giving us such excellent service. Please feel free to contact me regading this story.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bigdog0069
pgw9393, Property Manager at The Palace Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2007
I would like for you the consumer to hear the other side of the story. This guest who wrote the review checked in around 3pm for a 7-night stay with us. Prior to the guests arrival we had the carpets professionally cleaned and the living room and bedrooms had been freshly painted. Around 5pm the guest came down requesting a crib for a 3-year-old child. We explained to him that all of our cribs had already been given out, it was at this time that he became upset, we called our sister hotel to see if they had any cribs we could borrow, they let us borrow one and we called the guest to let them know we had one for him. The guest came back to our office and said that the crib was unacceptable and was again extremely rude with our staff. It was at this time approximately 2 1/2 hours after the guests had checked in that he stated the room was dirty. I know that the room was clean because our head housekeeper had checked it, and I also inspected the room prior to the guest checking in and found it to be clean with a very pleasant smell (due to the carpet cleaning we had done just a few days prior to his arrival). The guest stated that he would stay the night and would checkout the following morning. I explained to him that we have a 3-night minimum and would not be able to rent the room to him for just one night. It was a holiday weekend; we were completely full and had already turned away several guests who wanted three nights or longer. Finally he left around 10:30pm, (a full 4 1/2 hours after we informed him that he would need to leave and a full 7 1/2 hours from when he arrived) we were not able to re-rent the room that night due to the guest taking his time to leave, however we had another guest check into the room the following day, the new guest wanted the room for 2 weeks, however it was only available for one, he stayed a week and enjoyed the room so much that he wanted it for the second week as well.

The guest who wrote the review failed to mention how he extremely rude to us, we tried to assist him to the best of our ability by calling around to find him a crib, which he ultimately said was unacceptable. He stated in his review that the room was old dingy, not clean and that his children was congested shortly after entering the room around 3pm, if this was true why did he insist on staying rather than checking out immediately. He also mentioned that his phone was not working, that is also incorrect because I called the room several times, they called me back several times, and the phone was working just fine each time I spoke to them. The guest actually contradicts his statement about the phone not working, by stating in his review that he received my call around 9pm.

As a manager I realize that one persons opinion of a room my be totally different than the next, However I have tried to the best of my ability to inform the consumer by placing current photos of each of the rooms we manage on our website, as well as informing them of our company policies and procedures. It is unfortunate that the guest left with a bad impression of the Palace, however please note that for this one unhappy guest, there were about 200 more guests who are very pleased with the services we offered them for that same week.