“Awesome Birthday trip”

The Reef Myrtle Beach
Ranked #165 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 3 August 2010

When you have never been somewhere before you really don't know what to think or expect. You can read all the reviews you want. From the moment we checked in, the hotel was AWESOME! Front desk was great. Room was clean and nice. View was awesome! Went down to the bar called Mako's and got something to eat. It overlooks the Ocean too. What a friendly staff!! They actually talked to you and got to know you. It was a great Birthday weekend at the Reef and can't wait to go back. The one negative would be that when it rains, the bottom parking lot flood due to improper drainage by the city and standing water can be pretty fowl. Would definately recommend

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2010

This was my very first time to Mrytle Beacg (South) at the Reef Resort. I so so very very very pleased with EVERYTHING about my stay at the Reef Resort at South Myrtle Beach. From the Staff,to the room, the resturant. the pool,. Just everything. I cannot wait tocome back next summer to South myrtle Beach,and I will for sure be staying at the Reef Resot. I stayed in room 907,my family as weel as myself was so pleased with this resort. have stayed at other resorts, hotels, condo's,but they did not match up to the reef. You staff needs a gold star. Especially JEFF. Everyone made a impression on us,I remembered Jeff and Brandy name. They helped me when I first called to make reservations, and then when I arrived there I meant them. They were as pleasant in person, as they were on the phone helping me with the reservations.This was another reason, that I choose the Reef. The staff Brandy and Jeff was sp pleasant on the phone,they did not seem to mine that I had many questions,before choosing to make the stay there. If i could make my reservations now for neaxt year, I would.

Thanks, again for making our vacation such a wonderful one.

Thanks,
The happy Bowie family from Frederick Md.

Reviewed 13 July 2010

The Reef at South Beach is a good hotel if you are looking to save a few bucks. We stayed here for the first time, the weekend of the 4th of July because the hotel we usually stay at had ridiculous rates.

The hotel is pretty outdated, but very clean.

The reviews about the elevators are true. There were times we stood there for over 10 minutes and no elevator came down or up. Then one broke down and they were down to one elevator for all these people. And when we asked the maintenance guy about it, he was pretty rude. It was pretty annoying, the heat and humidity and walking up all those flights of steps.

The pools are great and huge. The out side entertainment is endless..Karaoke, DJ, drinks, food, games, dancing, etc. And the beach is great of course.

There is limited parking at the actual hotel, but they do have a back up lot down the street (walking distance) and across the street. And even that got full, so they had everyone start parking at an apartment buildings lot/grass. But it was all pretty close in distance.

The rooms are fairly small. We had 6 adults and a baby in the room...for a room that sleeps 6. And there was barely enough room. And the beds are like rocks.

Overall, its a good hotel for the price. If they updated the rooms and got new elevators (or fixed the current ones the right way) they would be a great hotel. But I would still recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a good time while on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed from June 27 thru July 2. There are so many bad things, why don't I start at the beginning. We get on the elevator the first day and there are 3 maintenance guys, when a couple of young girls pass on the elevator, they laughed and said, "you don't know these elevators, better get one when you can." I know that is true because we stayed a few years before, but was told that lightning had hit one and that was the cause of the down time. Then our maid service was virtually non-exsistence- if you don't put your dirty towels on the floor, you WON'T get clean ones. Our visibly used towels that were on the TOWEL BAR were left and no clean ones were left to replace them. We didn't realize that our larger trash can was under the sink, and therefore stacked our pizza boxes neatly in a corner with some other garbage only to find it still there on the unvacumed floor AFTER maid service. Once in the elevator another lady told us they had been there for 3 days and had NO maid service. The hotel was not even close to halfway full and they grouped most of the guests closely together, putting a group of young guys beside us on our last night, they stood outside in the hallway and on the balcony talking, yelling, and cussing most of the night. THIS HOTEL SUCKS!!! The staff was friendly, but not efficient. WORST VACATION EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! We had concidered leaving the first night, but thought it would get better... REGRET NOT RUNNING AWAY AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

1  Thank WYATT07
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We went to Myrtle Beach for the first time, a family vacation and due to the hotel experience we had, we don't want to go back to Myrtle Beach!
As we signed in at about 2:55pm, some of our rooms were not ready. As we got to our rooms, everyone said the same thing the next morning that the beds are hard as a rock. The sleeper sofas need replaced, so nasty! We couldn't even use our sleeper due to the stains all over the mattress.
This hotel does not have a family friendly atmosphere neither!!! So many underage drinking teens ALL OVER, on the balcony, in the elevators, walking all around the hotel, cursing and whatever else they could do! It was like one big high school party with no supervision. Try using the elevators with your children and drinking teens/adults, VERY HARD, espically when they are talking about a *booty* contest. Everyday, all day long, you walk into the elevator, there was spilled beer and beer cans. The Police were there praticully everyday kicking kids out for being to loud or what not and the hotel staff had to repeatedly go to rooms for too many people in rooms or being loud. As well, we did smell a certain odor being *smoked* close by our room, others said the same thing as well. Again, not a family atmosphere.
Oh, the elevators, yeah, BIG JOKE! Always breaking down and having to walk up FLIGHTS of stairs! Extremely hard with children and adults with medical conditions!!
And the key card to get into the room, thats an even BIGGER JOKE! I swear, our whole group EVERYDAY, had to get new key cards made because as an employee said, 'This key card system sucks!'
Also, we did find a HUGE roach in our room. Just 1, but 1 too many!!!
And the pictures of the hotels rooms on the website is when it first opened YEARS ago! Trust us, the rooms need updating!
And the day shift hotel lady, brown hair, needs some mannerisms working with the public!!! If you don't like talking to out of towners or getting towels for your hotel guests, you need to work somewhere else!

Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank VacationFamilyOf6
Reviewed 16 June 2010

I thought the room I was in was very clean. No bugs at all. The room does need updating and the sleeper-sofa totally needs replacing. All the staff that I spoke to was very polite...except for the one lady at the front desk on day shift. She was a bit rude but maybe she was having a bad day. The refigerator was very clean and I wasn't afraid to get into the shower. Shopping was a hassle for me because I had to drive, the shops are too far to walk to. Parking sucked. they have onsite parking but not for everyone who stays there. additional parking is down the street and on the oppisite side from hotel. Elevators were very slow so i wound up taking the stairs ....alot...oh did I mention In was on the 11th floor. 156 steps from lobby to 11th floor. oh well I needed the exercise anyways.

Reviewed 7 June 2010

OMG! If you ever wanted to stay at a hotel in Myrtle Beach, this would be the one, hands down. We arrived and the front desk was so friendly and helpful. The location is excellent and convenient to all shopping and attractions. All the rooms are ocean front and very scenic. The rooms are comfortable and have all the conveniences of home. My children had a blast in the pools and hot tubs downstairs and having laundry facilities on hand made the stay even better. I would definatley stay here every time I travel to the beach!