“Like Home”

Ranked #115 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Bel Air, Maryland
“Like Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

My family and I have been staying at Tropical Seas for approximately 17 years! When we arrive, we are greeted with a welcome back hug! Robin, Ann and the rest of the staff are always very kind and helpful, If you ever have any problems or concerns, they are addressed immediately. You can not beat the ocean front location. There are 2 pools and a hot tub with a very large pool deck which is fabulous. (You can compare the hotels on either side of Tropical Seas. Their pool decks are very small and very crowded!) The hotel does need some updating (which I believe they are in the process of doing) but the rooms are always clean. We always stay in the 2 bedroom oceanfront efficiency which is very spacious. Mama Mia Pizzeria is an onsite carryout restaurant that has delicious food. I highly recommend Tropical Seas Hotel!

1 Thank PamelaMae63
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
We enjoy seeing repeat guests year after year. You're like family to the staff at Tropical Seas. Thanks for being such a loyal guest of ours, we appreciate it!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I just returned home from a weekend stay at Tropical Seas (8/16-8/18). I was skeptical at first when I booked my room from the previous reviews but decided to book anyway. I arrived almost an hour early from check in time and asked if there was any way I could check in early. The staff was very friendly and told me as long as my room was ready which it was. Check in went smooth and parking was great! When we got to our room (807) lone behold it was very clean and I could actually smell cleaning supplies when I entered the room. We had an Oceanfront Efficiency room and it was ample enough space and the view was awesome!!! The beds were super comfortable. The staff at all times were super friendly and always willing to help!! I am glad I decided to book here and I am sure I will return again! Great Place!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
I'm so glad you decided to stay with us and you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on trip advisor. We are open year round. Hope to see you in the future!
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We were very surprised at the size of our two bedroom suite. It is uncommon to find such a roomy area, at a price like this. The staff is super friendly, the location is just great and uncluttered, and we had great QUIET nights for sleeping, unlike other hotels we'd stayed at. The only reasons I did not give Tropical Seas a better score, is that the carpet needs to be steam cleaned (very much!), and the WIFI is just not reliable. Even with those two issues, the good outweighed the bad. I would certainly consider staying here again. I have paid similar prices and have stayed in tiny rooms where the doors were like cardboard. This place is not like that. My family and I enjoyed our visit.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with family, consider the two bedroom suite. Very roomy and comfortable!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
I apologize for the carpet not being clean. Tropical Seas has been so booked that its been hard to get into the rooms to do this task, but it will be done when things slow down a bit. I wasn't aware of the Wi-Fi problem, I will be contacting our computer tech on this. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to our repeat guests returning year after year and welcome you as well. Thanks for taking the time to inform others of your stay!
mt airy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My family stayed here from July 26-29, 2013. I have to say for the price it was great. We paid the same last year for a smaller room & shared balcony for 2 days(a different beach) than we did here. I was skeptical when we booked but overall we enjoyed it. The staff was friendly. If you need something all you have to do is ask. The rooms & pools were very clean( the cleanest shower I've ever seen at an older hotel). The beds are ok but need bigger pillows & thicker blankets. I never saw any bugs anywhere. I would definitely stay here again. BTW the pizza from Mama Mia's restaurant on the 2nd floor is really good & cheap!!

2 Thank christacp76
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
There are so many choices of lodging in the Myrtle Beach area and we are pleased you selected us! We loved having you here and are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you here again. Thank you so much for your feedback.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We weren't allowed to check in at 3pm because they were still "cleaning" the room. When finally allowed to go up we found it was a smoking room and smelled like an ashtray there was dirt all over the bathroom and the towel liked like they had been sitting in the bottom of the dumpster. The two ladies working behind the desk were arguing with each and did not care if the guests heard or not. Another guest went to open her door and the door knob just came off in her hand. The staff were very rude whenever approached by anyone about any problems which there was a line of people complaining. And don't worry if you don't stay there you can park there they don't care and will not tow even if you don't have a parking permit they will inconvinence the paying guest and tell them to park down the road. We left and drive back home. The better business bureau will hear about this. And Robin T. Don't waste your time with an empty apology as you have done on all the other reviews. It's obvious you do not value your customers. If you did 90 percent of your staff would be terminated.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ACC79
I am very familiar with your short stay with us. You were a walk-in and reserved the very last room we had available for 1 night because Tropical Seas was completely booked. You were told it was a smoking room. The line of people were all the other guests trying to check in while you were complaining about having to park across the street (not down the street). We have 2 lots for our guests you arrived late and our 1st lot was full. I have a wonderful staff here and when reviewing that evening my staff politely addressed your complaints. Customer service is always very important to us. Sorry we couldn't please you.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I have stayed here a couple times. It is older and smaller than most, but I love that it is not all 'current'. Simple style - nothing fancy and using a plan key works fine for me. Sad that the last time I stayed they had no ocean front available, otherwise I would have been there.

Room Tip: No room service used and they have no breakfast but you can use the facility next door
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Michele S
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
I'm sorry we didn't have an oceanfront room for you. We do fill up quickly during busy times. Next time please call ahead, this way you can reserve a room with a view. Thanks for taking the time to tell others about your stay. Hope to see you soon!
Kingston, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

they was remodeling did not tell us that when we made the reservations to late to change when we got there thepool was being remodel the whole time we was there then we was going to go the hot tub went out they was working on the hot tub when we left there was puddles of water in the hall going out dangerous I think you should give us somemoney back for the inconvience of it all my name is Carolyn Hicks cell is 1 865 2429379

Room Tip: Call ask if there remodeling
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Linda H
Robin T, General Manager at Tropical Seas Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
We are finished with the pool and the work in the hallways. We did try to contact our guests and let them know ahead of time especially since the contractors took longer than expected. Unfortunately in order to upgrade our property we have to work around our guests and plan times when we aren't so busy. Sorry for the inconvenience.