All reviews cooked breakfast off the highway room was clean myrtle beach great stop hot tub pleasant stay night stay quick check two queen beds newer hotel the breakfast area stayed for one night easy access good nights sleep breakfast staff front desk staff
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We selected this particular HIE as our stopping point midway between Indianapolis and Savannah. As most travelers know, hotels within an hour or so of Asheville are pretty expensive because of the mountain retreats and Biltmore. This HIE was just outside of that expensive area and offered king suites advertised as renovated, a pool, a hot tub, and a free breakfast. Still, though, we paid approximately $130 for the room, so it was a bit more than we normally pay for an HIE.

First, let me give the good points. This HIE has a welcoming staff, great pool and exercise room. Nesting barn swallows also added some interest to the location. The hot tub was great, too, although we were a little concerned when we saw that the pool inspection sticker said that their license expired in March 2012. I'm hoping that was an oversight in updating the sticker rather than foregoing a required inspection. Breakfast was fine, and the hotel staff seemed to accommodate a full house with lots and lots and lots of children as they hit the breakfast buffet with no problems. We also appreciated the clerk who checked us in and recommended in-town places to eat. We visited the recommended Palms, and it was very good after such a long drive. The room had a refrigerator and microwave and complete coffee / tea station. And, the air conditioner worked great.

On the bad side, the room appeared to be updated with the more modern HIE furniture and television. We stay at HIEs frequently, so noting the updated ones and older ones is fairly easy. I always look at the pictures on the websites to compare to the hotel description. The problem was that the items you cannot determine by photos either hadn't been updated or this hotel updated them long enough ago that they needed to be replaced now. The mattress was not comfortable at all. It was not "new" firm; it was old, worn down hard. The pillows had the renovated "firm" and "soft" labels on the pillowcases, but every pillow was lumpy and small and old. They needed to be replaced.

Breakfast was fine. The turkey sausage patties were disgusting but were replaced by more traditional sausage links midway through our time in the breakfast area. Most other typical HIE breakfast items were there EXCEPT for one key item for families with children. There was neither a pancake maker nor waffle maker nor any pre-made pancakes or waffles. For the kids, this was a let-down since those items always appear on the HIE breakfast bar.

In our world, we look for two king beds or a king suite with a king bed and fold-out king couch to accommodate our family of four with older children. Our kids are teenagers so the two double beds in a hotel room just don't cut it any longer.

Although we were planning to return on the same route, I just haven't been able to find anything that meets our needs along the same route without going to into that high-priced hotel zone, so we're going to return home via Atlanta and Chattanooga and look for an updated HIE that, hopefully, will be renovated right down to the great mattresses and linens we've been spoiled with in several HIEs across the country.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Denise R
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Robertsghs,
Thank you for providing feedback about your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newberry Hotel. We opened our doors for business in 2009, so we are a fairly new hotel. I understand your concern about the expired pool inspection sticker. South Carolina no longer issues stickers with inspections. I can assure you that the pool was inspected last week, and we are approved to continue letting our guest use the facility through March 2015.

I am sorry to hear that your room did not meet your expectations. We are currently upgrading our pillows in each guest room. Each room is equipped with a Serta pillow top mattress on either king bed or queen beds depending on the room selection. We apologize for any discomfort during your stay.

Our Express Start Breakfast Bar is set up to meet state regulations. Unfortunately we are not allowed to host a pancake maker or a waffle make on the property. Please feel free to reach out to us at GuestRelations@HotelEvolution.Net to further discuss your stay with us. Thank you again for letting us know about your visit; your feedback will help us better serve our guests. We hope to see you again the next time you need a hotel in the Newberry, SC area.

Skylar Sperin, Guest Relations Manager
Holiday Inn & Suites - Newberry Hotel

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Holiday Inn and Express in Newberry, SC was nice! It's a newer hotel so it had all the bells and whistles. It was very clean, and comfortable. The breakfast service was excellent! The staff was so nice, made you feel welcomed. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Couple Quail Hunters,
Thank you for the excellent review of our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Newberry SC. I’m happy to hear that you loved our clean and comfortable Newberry hotel. I’m also glad that you had a chance to enjoy our complimentary Express Start breakfast in the morning. We sincerely appreciate your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We spent the night there this week as we traveled for a family funeral. The hotel was very well done, clean, comfortable, the staff was very nice. We had one of the "suite" rooms and it was nice to have the extra space, microwave, fridge, etc. The bathroom was well equipped, except no shampoo or conditioner in our room. Needed both! The breakfast was good, however, it was very busy there on a weekend morning and the young woman working could have used a helper. She was very busy!

Room Tip: room 320 was very nice.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KarenBilly57
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Karen Billy,
Thank you for the great review of our Holiday Inn Express & Suites in Newberry, SC. We’re glad that you enjoyed your stay and the extra room that the suite provided . We appreciate your feedback; I will pass along your comments to the General Manager. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Newberry. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you’re in the area!
Thanks again,

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had a long day of driving in the rain and the hotel accommodations were a welcome sight. The receptionist on duty was very efficient and helpful as we checked in. I had requested a reduced rate since we were AAA members. After giving him my payment card he asked for identification. I pulled out my drivers license and it also has my military ID card attached. He saw that and said that he could give me a better rate for military than for AAA. That was going the extra mile. Many other receptionist fail to tell you about any offers for a lower price.

We later had trouble logging onto the internet and another receptionist helped with that also. I would say that is service and it was with a smile.

The room was great and larger than most. Thank you Holiday Inn Express!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Bill,
Thank you Bill for your great review and for your service to our country. We greatly appreciate you letting us know about your recent Holiday Inn Express & Suites experience here in Newberry, SC. I’m happy to hear that after a long day of driving our large rooms and terrific customer service was exactly what you needed to brighten your day. We do offer a military and AAA discount so I am glad you were able to find the best deal for you and enjoy a restful night with us. We hope you had a great trip to Newberry and we’d love to welcome you back next time you’re in the area.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I, along with our 3 kids stopped here for the night on our way home to Cincinnati from Daytona beach. This hotel was fabulous! The man at the front desk was helpful and friendly. The rates were great and our suite was extremely clean, modern, and large. The indoor pool and hot tub were clean and very nice! The only negative thing I can say, is that the attendant at breakfast was not friendly. In fact, she seemed downright rude. I heard her scold one guest for not using tongs and another for leaving a door on the scrambled egg warmer open. It seemed as though she really hated her job. I still give this hotel 5 stars. The other friendly employees and the cleanliness of this hotel more than make up for her bad attitude.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank K8scakes
GuestRelations-KK, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Newberry, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Kate’s Cakes,
Thank you for the great review of our Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newberry Hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We really appreciate you for taking the time to tell us how we are doing. I’m glad that you received excellent service during your check-in. I apologize that the breakfast attendant did not provide excellent service. I will let the General Manager know about that right away so that it can be addressed. I hope you had a great trip back to Cincinnati and that you’ll stay with us the next time you need a hotel in Newberry.
Best wishes,