“Great location but a few flaws”
Review of Aloft Charleston

Aloft Charleston
Ranked #37 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in a great location. Shopping is right there, food choices everywhere, and great distance from beach and downtown.
There is only one person at the front desk and pantry which can lead to bottle necks very quickly. The lobby is very modern and inviting. There is ample seating, a pool table, board games, and 2 computers for guests to enjoy.
However, when we were walking to our room one of the kids pointed out the ceilings saying it didn't look like it was finished. An employee assured us that this was a common misconception and that this was actually by design. Sorry, but if it is something people bring up a lot, you might have done the design wrong.
While the hotel is super close to the airport and you could see the planes going over, I actually only heard a plane once. It really wasn't a big deal.
My only other complaints would be the beds looked super lumpy and uninviting (but this too could be "by design") and when we woke up on our last day the ac seemed to be out.
After weighing the pros and cons of everything they seem to come out to average. Not sure we'd stay here again with our kids. Seemed a bit cramped with all of us in the room.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Steven S, General Manager at Aloft Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and also glad to hear that the aloft staff explained the ceilings and the design. These design features are done to create the "loft" experience. We are sorry the design was not to your liking, and also will ensure the we discuss this review with our food service staff. Thanks for your review, and we wish you safe travels always.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel. It was vastly different than the traditional Westin property. While there are some things I liked about this hotel: comfortable beds and pillows and large bathrooms and friendly bar staff. However, the food was average. The rooms lack closet space and the carpet was badly stained. I also had to change rooms as the odor in the room was very strong, and not tolerable, they did give me a new room which smelled fine. The breakfast order form format is very confusing. I felt like some of the staff in the breakfast area were hostile, one raised her voice at me which I did not appreciate. The front desk staff was also uneven. Overall a very uninspiring stay.

Stayed: August 2014

Thanks for your review, I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations, as we hope for all our guests. I will ensure that your review is discussed with our team to ensure these issues do not arise in the future. Safe Travels.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here one night for business. Room was clean, bed was comfortable, and clever room layout. So, certainly an acceptable place to stay. On the down side, the room felt like they skimped a little. The ceiling looked a little rough and the minor things like the anchor for the blinds' adjustment line had come loose from the wall. Also, breakfast is not included, though you can buy a hot breakfast there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Bill W,

Thanks for your review and also choosing the Aloft.
The aloft is a modern loft type hotel, similar to lofts in larger cities, and the ceilings are designed to look as if you were in one! We do apologize for the issue with the blind and will ensure the problem is corrected. We hope to see you again soon, at the aloft Charleston!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was the worst experience I had a fire at my house and needed to find somewhere for ma family to stay. The lady on the phone was very disrespectful but I kept my patience. Then we get to the room there is no air conditioning and they brought me a little tiny fan that didn't do anything mind you it me my grandparents and my newborn child and they didn't even offer us a different room. The TV was broken along with the refrigerator and then they charged myou card $658 this was absoluty the worst experience ever and I would stay in a motel yes I said a motel before I ever stay here again!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review. I am truly sorry for the fire at your home and the distress you may have been put through during this time. I was made aware of your situation, and feel that we have provided you with all the information needed in regards to your c/c authorizations, most banks will remove their hold within 48 hours. We hope that everything goes as smoothly as possible with your home, and hope that you return to discuss your stay in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My experience in Aloft was not at the level that I was expecting to see on a SPG Hotel, when I arrived to the hotel, I had to wait over 20 minutes because the lady at the check in was too busy and intense on the phone. I was disappointed to find out that no laundry service was provided due to some contract issue with their supplier. If as I understand, that aloft at some point is the affordable W, is going to take a while to catch up.......

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review and SPG Loyalty. I apologize for the wait time to check in to the hotel, and will ensure that we look into this. The summer months are very busy in Charleston, but we still strive to get our SPG Members checked in as quickly as possible. I would like the opportunity to speak with you more regarding the valet/laundry service, as we have no issues with the service, and it is always available. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel, so that I better understand the problems encountered.

Safe Travels ... Live Life Aloft

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a 1 night stay during a longer trip to the Charleston area. We would stay here again for a quick, 1-2 night stay; for a longer stay, we'd want a hotel with a full-service restaurant.

We stayed in a king-bedded room. Comfy bed, good a/c. Plenty of airport noise but it didn't bother us at all.

We used the hotel gym for a morning workout. The treadmills and dumbbells are in good shape and there are towels and cold water provided in the gym. There are no drapes or blinds on the large windows in the gym, so on a hot, sunny summer day it does get warm in the room.

The hotel is located right by the Tanger Outlets, with easy access to I-26 also.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sanjeev B

Thanks for your recent review of our Charleston Aloft. We will look into the lighting issue in the recharge fitness, and ensure that our future guests do not experience warmer temperatures in the facility. Thanks for your kind review, and we wish you safe travels!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

On July 11-13, 2014 my family recently used Aloft Charleston as their host hotel for the weekend. Overall I must say the stay was pretty good. There are some issues that I would like to make management aware of. Upon check-in the front desk clerk Lisa was not helpful at all. She possessed a nonchalant attitude and did not offer any further assistance that what was asked of her. One family member in my party contacted Aloft.com about her behavior on arrival as well. However, there were several employees that went above and beyond their call of duty to ensure that my family had a pleasurable stay. Tierra, Monica Jerideall and Tammy Green in Food and Beverage worked extremely hard to ensure that our Hospitality Room was equipped with everything we needed. Whenever we asked a question or needed anything they were willing to do it with a smile and wanted to know what else they could do. This the type of service that Aloft needs to represent your company! I wanted to make sure that these young ladies received the acknowledgements that they deserved for the excellent service they provided my family and I. At this time I am not certain if I would recommend your hotel to my family or friends due to the quality of service received, especially at the front desk. If it had not been for the 3 ladies mentioned, our weekend would have been a disaster. On behalf of myself and the Haile Family I would like to extend a job well done to those ladies for making the difference in our weekend!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MsSpeechie

I would like to thank you for your review of our hotel and staff. We are happy to hear that you received great service from the majority of our team members. We will share your experience with the other staff that did not provide the proper service. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how we are doing, we hope that you visit the aloft Charleston again soon.