“EconoLodge an excellent choice!!”

Econo Lodge Coliseum
Ranked #27 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Clinton
“EconoLodge an excellent choice!!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I am a regular visitor to the Charleston area for business purposes. I had been staying at another more expensive motel right behind this one, but their prices were way out of whack, so I decided to give this one a try. I was really going by the most recent reviews that indicated this place had been renovated and was a nice place. They were correct!!! For the price, this is a great deal. All new and refreshed rooms; mine did not have a microwave or refrigerator, but I didn't need it. My wife yelled at me for not telling here there wouldn't be a hair dryer but no biggie for me! The king bed was super comfortable; bathroom clean and new; sink area clean and new...carpet clean and new....you get the idea! Fast wireless internet. I was on the back side facing that motel I used to stay at for literally twice the price, and I can tell you it (the other place) wasn't worth the price difference. It was very quiet on that side. Yes...you don't get a big "hot" breakfast, but for the price difference you could go out and have that if you really needed to. The coffee was good; bagels, orange juice, muffins were the extent of the breakfast. My wife was really impressed, and that is saying a lot as she is one of the more picky motel-stayers there is. I asked her this morning before writing this how she would rate it, and she "absolutely excellent...no complaints at all", so there you go! My thanks to Matt for renovating what looked like a scary and un-stayable place to my new "go to" motel in North Charleston off Montague. I will be contacting you directly for my next stay (used Expedia this time!).

Room Tip: I stayed on the side facing the Hampton Inn, which was very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Mike R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

TripAdvisor reviews brought us here and it's even better than they said. The room is immaculate and in great condition with new carpet and nice furnishings. It has a microwave, refrigerator and great Internet connection. We had barely settled in our room when the friendly manager called to see if our room was okay. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GoRoadie
North Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stopped at this Econo Lodge because of reviews saying it is newly renovated. It is. First the room, no microwave, no coffee maker, no hairdryer, no ironing board and I didn't ask for any. Old CRT TV still in room about a 24 inch I would say. So no amenities. Internet works fine and no trouble logging on. King bed is very comfy and there is a desk and a small chair. The room has been completely redone, new carpet, fresh paint everywhere. The bathroom has obviously just been remodeled as it is spanking new. So it is as I hoped. I got this room at the last second so the rate was not exactly super cheap but when on the road and you try to get a room for the same night it was okay, especially for this area. It is in a unusual spot, no sign of an entrance off of Montague Road. You have to go down a small side road next to a gas station to find it, BUT the Hampton is next door and on the same road so it's not that big a deal. There is a waffle house next door so if I am dying for a coffee I can get one. The breakfast area is in main lobby, 2 or 3 SMALL tables and chairs in a cramped area. Can't see having any type of sitdown breakfast there. The linens are very clean and good quality too. No extra pillow is provided. The room is clean clean clean. This is an ECONO LODGE people, don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed. There is plenty of good restaurants nearby, the Tanger Mall is a stones throw and the airport is just about 10-15 minutes away. If you need a good clean place to crash for a decent price this is it. I am in a room on second floor backside, no elevator by the way, and it is quiet as I have been napping since about 230 pm. The manager let me check in at 215 pm as the room was done and personally showed me the room to make sure I was happy. I am. I am going to remember this place as I come to Charleston to birdwatch occasionally and it is near to I-526 and right off I-26 so I can get to spots north and south of downtown Charleston easily. Worth every penny to me.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank FBPete
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 October 2013

As hotels go, it's nothing to write home about however is a great improvement of what was there before. Ownership is doing a nice job renovating and upgrading the hotel piece by piece. Rooms are clean and serviceable. Internet is decent, works for the most part but can go out once in awhile, something to keep in mind if you're on business.

Good location, it's right near the outlet mall, in walking distance of fast food and gas station, and right across the street from FedEx Office. Getting to the outlet mall, restaurants, and Walmart is a short hop.

Ownership is amazing. Friendly, accommodating, certainly cares if you are having a nice stay. Always smiling. No iron or ironing board in the room so they let me keep one overnight from front desk. I even saw one of them using a leaf-blower in front of the hotel. It's Business 101 - you cannot underestimate the value of true service.

Only complaint I had was on the last day of my trip. Cleaning staff came by early in the morning, knocked, then came back around about 30 minutes later and knocked. Outside of that it was a very good experience.

If I ever make it down to North Charleston (or Charleston for that matter) I'll certainly keep this at the top of my list.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank archiphoto
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Hotels can get pricey (especially on the weekends) in the Charleston area but this was a good value. Friendly check-in and the room was fairly quiet (request something on the second floor facing the Hampton in the back). Basic motel but clean and remodeled. Plenty of eating options nearby and this motel is right off the highway. Easy to go south into downtown Charleston.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was our base for a weekend in Charleston to attend a family wedding. The property is being renovated. Our room was one of the ones that had been renovated. It was nicely done and very clean. Staff was extremely helpful and nice. We arrived late Friday night and the outside can make you feel a little uneasy - but the rooms did not disappoint. Very convenient to the Tanger Outlet. There is no pool.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Venice, Florida
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This hotel is being renovated and will be a model Econo Lodge when completed. The manager was extremely nice and accommodating. Our room was very nicely decorated, quite and the bed was comfortable. The location can't be beat....resturants, shopping and easy off/on to the interstate.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family