“Average Room”

Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Rockville, Maryland
“Average Room”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We went to Charleston for Spoletto with friends (who used points to book stay) We had a 2 bedroom suite which was just fine. What was not good was the floor in kitchen and bath were not clean, they were sticky and the pot I was going to use to boil water was dirty. They did bring me a new pot. The room had an odor the entire time we were there (5 nights). The free breakfast was very good, although I would have like to see some other fresh fruit for cereal besides a banana. The Belgian waffles were very good although I do not like table syrup, I would have liked maple flavored syrup. The front desk staff were very polite and helpful. I have been a gold Marriott reward level member for some years and usually stay in a more upscale hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Skier444
ResInnCHSAirport, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Airport, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We're so glad your group chose to stay with us during your recent trip to Charleston, and we apologize for the conditions of the floors and pots. We do our very best to ensure each and every guest enjoys their stay with us and your experience is certainly not typical. We appreciate you taking the time to share your stay with us and we hope you’ll consider giving us another chance to serve you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2014

From the very beginning this was a great experience. Check in was a breeze and very quick. The staff was wonderful and personable. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The breakfast the next morning was good and again the staff was very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jean1973
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that we were not staying in Charleston itself, but after pricing several places we decided that this would fit our budget the best. We stayed in a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit with friends of ours and it worked out perfectly. We didn't really use the kitchen except for coffee and tea in the morning, but the fridge was a great thing to have. Yes, it was a bit inconvenient to have to drive into town every day and find parking, but it was easy enough to find and pretty reasonable, never costing us more than $16 for the day. Breakfast was more than adequate and worked out quite well for us. The only negative being the way that the breakfast area is laid out, a bit crowded and a little tight passing through the food buffet. I think that we would certainly stay here again if the prices in town remain high. One of the daytime managers was extremely friendly and very helpful to us from getting around to places to eat and he would check with us each morning to see how we liked everything. Great service from the front desk staff and the breakfast staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed for a night after arriving in Charleston airport in the afternoon. Used Marriott points. Location requires 10-15 minutes drive to downtown. This was OK for us. Parking in downtown Charleston was not difficult to find, cost $10 for 5 hours.Check-in was fast. Concierge Eric was helpful and knowledgeable about the area. Our one-bedroom suite was good, usual Marriott quality. I especially like their beds. I am giving only 3 points because of a few minor things:
1. safe deposit box in our room did not work. I suppose we could have asked to fix it, but did not bother as we were only staying overnight.
2. had one tiny bottle of shampoo and conditioner - not enough even for one person. Again, could have asked for more, but did not bother
3. Breakfast was ample, but breakfast area was small and very crowded.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jana004
Erin W, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Airport, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay with us. We’re disappointed to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and would like to thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the Lowcountry you’ll consider staying with us again so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Erin W.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This was my bonus night associated with my Marriott platinum credit card and I decided to go with my girls and my friend to the Residence Inn. It was mother's day weekend so we headed out for a nice little trip. The check in was nice and the attendant was helpful. What she could not help was the room. Once we decided that three little kids and two moms did not need to go out to eat, I volunteered to cook. Well I began the process only to find almost every pot, dish, and piece of silverware dirty. Then I realized the bag of food I set on the counter was stuck because the counter was dirty. Then I looked in the Fridge to find the dirty shelves. When I opened up the oven I wondered if I was in some sort of comedy show where a guy would pop out and see if I was "punked" by all the dirt. The oven was filthy. We called the front desk and they sent a young man who cleaned the fridge, but the meal was already ruined because I had placed the seafood mix in a pot that turned out to be...DIRTY. We found Monkey Joe food wrappers and a cup wedged between the bed and the night stand! Then I used the bathroom to find the back of the door...DIRTY. I settled in to bed itchy, upset, and concerned that perhaps even where I was sleeping was...DIRTY. They apologized at the front desk and offered us an additional night promising to clean the room efficiently the next day. We accepted (mistake) and spent the next day at the beach, expecting to return to a clean room. Unfortunately, these expectations were not met. I decided that since I needed to do some work I would set myself up on the sofa. It had been a long day and I knew if I got in the bed, I would just fall asleep. So I moved the pillow on the couch to find...CAT OR DOG HAIR. I am allergic to cats and dogs. It was then that I realized that the reason I was itching was not my nerves, it was animal dander. The place had not even been cleaned since the last pet was in the room. This was the last straw. We packed up and left for home at 10:30 pm at night after being in the sun all day. Exhausted we made it back to Columbia and sent the girls on to school in the morning. It was a dangerous end to a seriously disappointing stay. With all the problems I expected to hear from the General Manager or the Housekeeping Manager...but alas they have not even bothered to contact me to apologize in person. The worst parts about all of this are that I spent my mother’s day and my free night on a flop of a mini-vacation. I can't believe they treat platinum members like this; it makes me question my loyalty to Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been cleaned.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank drsybilphd
I am very sorry to see that your stay here with us was well below both your standards, and our own. We appreciate your feedback, as it will allow us to improve our services, for well-traveled Platinum members such as yourself, and once a year travelers alike. You will be pleased to know that we have various new pieces of equipment on property, pertaining directly to your concerns, including brand new carpet cleaners to more efficiently clean our pet rooms, as well as new pots and pans for our guest kitchens. It is thanks to feedback such as yours that we are able to update our property every day. Again, I appreciate your feedback and our whole team apologizes for the discomfort that you and your family felt during your stay here with us. Our property has already made strides to improve our services in all areas mentioned in your comments. Thank you for taking the time to share you visit.

Erin W.
Fort Mill, South Carolina
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Overall excellent stay over a long weekend, Service from the front desk staff, all encounters, to the wonderful ladies at breakfast was excellent. Only weak area was the failure of housekeeping to attend to 1 of my 2 rooms on the first day and a very long delay in having fresh towels delivered upon request. The roses handed to the "mothers" in our group on Mother's Day was a very nice touch. Pool needed some updating and maintenance, and the grounds were a little unkemp, especially with our "dumpster view".

Room Tip: ask for one toward an elevator to reduce walking if you wish.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
MA
Reviewed 25 April 2014

It is great to stay at a hotel that provides shuttle service around the clock, and extra living space during your stay. That is what makes Residence Inns special. The property appears to be kept up well, and is walking distance to the outlet mall and several eateries. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Erin W, Manager at Residence Inn Charleston Airport, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Bethz117,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn Charleston Airport. I know what you mean, the extra space in the living room and kitchen really does make for a relaxing stay, and it doesn’t hurt to have Tanger Outlets right across the street either :) I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I know the staff will love hearing your kind comments.

Hope to see you again soon,
Erin