“It’s the bare minimum on every level”

Extended Stay America - Charleston - Airport
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Atlanta, Georgia
“It’s the bare minimum on every level”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2009

BLUF:
-------------------
- North Arco Lane was not in my GPS. There are better choices near by. I would not stay here again. There are plenty of areas for improvement. Check out time is 11 am.

Cheers:
- Kitchenette – D/W, frig (w/ ice maker), microwave
- Sofa
- Quite AC unit
- The room was nice and cool when I arrived
- Wireless Internet service
- 2 phones – 1 by the bed and 1 on the desk.
- A nice work area with power outlets above the desk.
- Easy access open power outlets by the bed and desk
- Pool

Jeers:
-------------------
- The overall décor and furnishings were the bare minimum.
- The room darkening shades did not do a good job on keeping out the light if you need to rest during the day.
- Bed linens could use an upgrade
- Room seemed smaller than most
- No free Internet (I was not charged)
- Cheap shower head
- No curved shower bar
- Free breakfast extremely limited
- Low flow shower head (I don’t like the sound of that!)
- Hot water seemed limited (shower valve all the way on hot during shower)
- There were no paper towels in the room
- There was no shampoo in the BR
- Toilet seat broken
- Slow Internet
- Airport noise at times
- Dirty phone
- Check out 11 am

Local area info:
-------------------
- There are plenty of shops (Tanger Outlet Center), restaurants and a Wal-Mart close by. Within walking distance if push comes to shove

High Speed Internet Test (Wireless only)
-------------------------------------------
- The “High Speed Internet” is dial up speed. Horrible.

Speakeasy — Speed Test 9:00 pm
To Atlanta
Download Speed: 250 kbps (31.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 249 kbps (31.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
To Washington DC
Download Speed: 230 kbps (28.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 221 kbps (27.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
San Francisco
Download Speed: 257 kbps (32.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 247 kbps (30.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Speedtest
---------------
5 MB File = 3 Minutes
35 MB File = 19 Minutes
800 MB Movie = 428 Minutes

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

well after two disaster hotels see my review for studio plus and extended stay america in north charleston. both ownded under the extended stay america umbrella. they moved me to this property this week. it is a nicer hotel than the other two. however they are running an apartment program now where they give you a very deeply discounted monthly rate. what they dont tell you is they are going to stick you in the worst room they can find. it takes 10 minutes of running water to get hot water to come through the shower and sinks. the refrigerator in my room was all scratched up had lots of rust exposed and dents in the door. the dishes they provide are a joke. you get a frying pan and a small pot. 4 plates and cups and lots of mismatched silverware. its cheap stuff so you have to be careful or you will burn what you are cooking in it if not careful. they do have a dishwasher in the room that i really like. the television in my room is an old zenith. do they even make those anymore? the closet is very small. especially for a place that is set up for an extended stay. it does have a ice maker in the freezer. this hotel is very close to the air bases and the airport but one of the great things about this property is it is an inside corridor and that cuts the noise down considerably and they also have really nice windows that are double paned. when they say continental breakfast they mean it. they have juice and coffee and small lemmon poppyseed muffins and bagels. and thats it. they do have a laundry room and it is pretty nice. two washers and 4 dryers. they have a fitness room its not big but it is nice. for a hotel. now the pool. thats a joke. its only 4ft deep and it has to be the smallest pool i have ever seen. its more like a large jacuzzi to me. its a very small rectangle. kids will not like this at all. its kinda indoor and outdoor. you can access it from teh inside or out in the courtyard. but its still under the roof so if its raining or whatever you can still use the pool. of course it doesnt open until may. they do have a nice enclosed courtyard. with quite a few lounge chairs and reclining chairs to get a tan on. again that area is gated. that is one of my personal favorite things about this property is that its inside corridor and gated courtyard. the hotel next door has less than desirable people in it so i feel safer with the locked doors. they have security here but they just sit and watch television in the breakfast room and chat with anyone that will talk to them. i am in the room next to the pool so because of the dampness you can smell a mildew kinda smell. not sure what they could do about that though. if you want to be pampered this is not the place for you. you only get housekeeping once a week unless you pay for extra. if internet is important to you then dont stay here. it doesnt work and when it does its at a terrible connection and speed. and you can call the tech support until you turn blue in the face they never get the problem fixed. i would do all my own cleaning if i were you. housekeeping did a horrible job cleaning this room before i got here. dishes were dirty. rice and other trash in the cupboards. hairs in the tub. i have a queen room which has a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. now the sofa is pretty nice. i would say it is newer. the other furnishings in my room seem to be dated the coffee table in front of the sofa is two end tables pushed together. i will say the beds are really hard so if you like a firm mattress then your in luck if you dont then your in trouble. there are 3 floors here and an elevator. at night you must have a key to get in and out of the hotel. there are no night time desk clerks after 11pm. the staff here is really nice. when i checked in i noticed the floors in the kitchen area were nasty and sticky so the front desk clerk gave me cleaning supplies so that i could clean it up. now all this being said. the hotel is really nice i just happened to get a not so nice room because i got a good rate. they need to get a better internet provider and housekeeping needs to do a better job. and everyone should get a nice room regardless. now for the location. you got lots of option. across the street you can walk to the tanger outlets. they have a small food court. theres a chinese place a pizza place and a subway in tanger outlet. also within walking distance is sams club and walmart. the walmart has a subway shop too. then also in walking distance is burger king, chick fil a, cici's pizza, ihop, fatz, qdoba, arbys, dunkin donuts, golden coral and a chinese restaurant.
i gave the low ratings because of the room i got and how the management treated me, it is a decent place to stay if you are going to be around for a while and dont need much service. they do have showtime but all the other channels are garbage channels that turn into horrible infomercials later in the evening they also are right around the corner from the new coliseum. if you are traveling with pets this is the place for you

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
Spartanburg, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2007

I haven't stayed at many hotels but I think I could say this one was the best I have seen. We got married at Folly Beach and we wanted a nice hotel that was within driving distance since the hotels at the beach are far too expensive. It has a full kitchen, coffee maker, toaster, ice maker etc, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, 2 tvs, a pullout couch in the LR area and a queen bed in the BR area. A separate bathroom and bedroom from the LR and KIT areas. The room was clean but our room was supposed to be No smoking but the hallways REEKED of smoke. The room had an odor at first so we opened the windows and it was fine. The main thing I was upset about was that the pool was not opened. This was the main reason I booked this hotel. Because it would be too chilly to swim unless you had an indoor pool which this hotel had. But it was empty. The price was descent. Taxes included I think we paid around 175 for 2 nites. I would recommend it if you were staying more than one nite Email me for pics because mine were too large.

• Liked — The room with its many amenities such as kitchen, iron, hairdryer etc
  • Disliked — Pool wasn't opened :o(
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tinkerbell7283
Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2007

This hotel is probably good at times, but our stay was not pleasant. There is a pool, but when we arrived, the pool was "out of service". I asked specific questions about the pool prior to check in and was not told that the pool was out of service. In fact, we were told that as long as we were quiet, we could stay until 10:00 pm. The pool is a very small rectangle, so it really wouldn't have been much fun for the kids anyway.

The room to the pool was not locked, so we walked in and were disgusted by the half filled pool with stagnent water. I didn't need to see that!!

The room we stayed in was worn out and smelly. No breakfast (juice and coffee and oranges).

This hotel charges for Internet (4.00 for entire stay)

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Praline
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 5 days (8/6 to 8/11/06) with our 12-year old grandson. The room was small but comfortable, and the kitchenette was a big help. Because this is an extended stay hotel, we knew that daily housekeeping wasn't available, but the schedule provided at check-in didn't really have any relationship to the schedule they kept. The printed information indicated that stays shorter than a week did not include housekeeping services unless we specifically scheduled it with the desk. We opted not to do this, but on the next to last day they came in and made up the beds (no new linen) and replaced some of the towels. On the last full day of our stay, they came in and provided all new linen and towels (although not enough of the latter . . .). It was a nice gesture that would have been more meaningful had they done it earlier on.

My only real complaint about the Homestead Suites was probably a management issue. The kitchen in our suite had only 2 drinking glasses when we checked in; the desk staff promised to look into it, but we never got the other 2 glasses. The laundry room soap dispenser was empty on Sunday when I went to do laundry. The desk staff promised to look into it and get back to me. When we asked about it on Monday, a different person promised the same thing. On Tuesday I bought detergent at WalMart; then I discovered that one of the washing machines was out of order. That was fixed just before we left on Friday, but there was still no soap (I left the rest of mine). The staff was always very friendly and always promised to help, but at no time did anyone actually follow up on any of our concerns.

Still -- it was clean, quiet, and safe. I wouldn't be afraid to stay there again.

1 Thank Janetbme
Anderson, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2005

I'm giving this new review a Neutral/Average just because it is normally a good place to stay. Perhaps things will change in a few weeks of this review dated Oct. 1, 2005.

Some New Orleans evacuees were put up in this hotel. From reports from friends the noise all day and all night was terrible. Lots of yelling in the middle of the night, kids running all over the place, people trashing the place, etc.. Maybe this is what we get for letting our government throw money at a problem. Free everything.

This hotel is also used as a transplant hotel after surgery at MUSC in Charleston so patients can be monitored. I know someone who just had a transplant and was trying to recuperate and get some much needed rest.
Unfortunately the evacuees could care less. This is a very sad situation when people who get suff free have to be so ungrateful and inconsiderate.

Stayed May 2005
6 Thank Beau1
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2005

I had a successful kidney transplant March 14, 2005 in Charleston at the MUSC campus. After 3 days in hospital my caregiver and I were transferred to the Homestead Suites in North Charleston for recovery and checkups. We couldn't have been more pleased with this hotel and we return every other week for Sunday nights for my clinics, labs, and followups at the transplant center on Mondays.

The desk staff are polite and do a great job. They are always willing to please.

The rooms come in about three different configurations. We prefer two double beds. There are three floors with elevator. There is a large refrigerator (turn the icemaker on), toaster, microwave oven, stove, dishwasher, and plenty of dishes and utensils. You can go about a 1/4 mile down Montigue to a Piggly Wigley grocery store. The rooms are comfortable and exceptionally clean. You get plenty of towels and soap for the dishwasher. The beds are quite comfortable. The place is quiet despite being close to an air base. All exterior doors besides the front entrance are secured for your safety and are opened with your room passcard.

There are a few decent restaurants nearby such as Picadillys buffet, but you may want to go west a couple of exits on 26 for a lot more choices. There is a McDonalds at the beginning of the road to the hotel.

There is not much in the way of recreation as this is mostly an industrial area. We see several military personnel at the hotel as they work at the nearby air base. They are very polite and I always enjoy meeting them. There is a SAMs wholesale club close by

There is an indoor pool that is extremely small and I don't advise using it as the heater is broken. They are planning a new outside courtyard larger pool so that should be great. There is also a workout room with a TV, treadmill, stairstepper, and bike.

This hotel has a room where you can buy simple prepared foods that can be microwaved and also toiletries. This is on an honor system and you fill out a card showing your room number and what you selected.

Near the front desk there is lounge area with free coffee and tea and sometimes juices. They often have some free breakfast items like waffles and bagels and sometimes in the evening they have some free snacks. This is a very nice addition.

The drive into the city of Charleston takes about 20 minutes. The traffic at certain times can be busy so you should be sure of your route in advance. The traffic moves briskly. A nearby beach is called Folly Beach and is about a 15 minute drive from the city of Charleston. We went out there once and were not impressed at all.

I live in the Upstate of South Carolina (Anderson) which is about a 4 1/2 hour drive to Charleston. We are leaving tomorrow morning for our regular Sunday stay at the Homestead suites. Patients of MUSC get a special rate.

Overall, if you are in North Charleston on business, in the military, just passing through, or a MUSC patient like me you will enjoy this hotel. If you are a Charleston sightseer you may want to find a place closer in.

• Stayed April 2005