“All good but the housekeeping”

Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention
Ranked #13 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Breakfast was great. The staff was friendly. The room was not cleaned one day and cleaned very late on another only after we called. Not up to par for Embassy Suites. However, they did seem to care and respond when we communicated the problem.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Robert H, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. It is always disappointing to hear that a guest did not enjoy every aspect of their visit.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I came for a conference. The property is well used and so I wasn't expecting a new room. It was nice looking and the public areas were well maintained. The most outstanding feature was the comfy bed. I slept very well, which is my top priority next to a clean room. In this, they did well. I also have to compliment the breakfast service. I have to say it's the best "free" breakfast I've had in a hotel. Well done! I used the fitness center and was pleased to find that the machines have tvs and they offer free individually wrapped headphones to use. They had a stretching machine which I SO needed after sitting most of the days. Again, it felt pretty clean and well maintained. I used the pool and hot tub. Neither were big, but were adequate and what I expected.

Now, the bad. Our room had an odd smell. Perhaps it's because we were in the South and most of the year has higher humidity. Our friends' room had a terrible smell - almost like the room was sprayed with sweet smelling chemicals to cover up something else. I don't know if they asked to be moved or asked for an ionizer.

Our maid service was at the top of the worst I've ever experienced for a longer stay. On our first day, we had everything we needed - plenty of coffee, towels and even half and half. There were two of us with long hair and went to the desk for more conditioner which they gave us. I left a note the second day that we needed extra of a few things. While we received those things, our bed wasn't made properly. The covers were tossed up like a child might make a bed. A hotel magazine was left on the floor. Crumbs were still on the counter with the coffee maker and the table and we didn't get restocked with coffee supplies. I realized that our room wasn't cleaned, but only bed sort of made and new towels. Our friends didn't even get new towels. The third day, we didn't get any washcloths, no toiletries and no coffee supplies. And again our beds were not made nor counters cleaned. I mentioned this to the front desk as we again had to go down and request more supplies. This is a conference center hotel. They must be used to having high occupancy. I don't know what the problem was. I've never experienced this before.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite. It was large and a good size for a family.
1  Thank Pinkiu

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I want to compliment this hotel! Wow.. what a great stay and what a beautiful place. I loved riding the elevator with such a stunning view of the atrium. There were charming spots to sit in around the lobby with lush plants and the calming sound of fountains. I made my calls to home from those areas. The staff was quick to meet every need- since we were there almost a week, there were a couple small issues, but they handled them right away.

Loved the breakfast buffet, and we also had a delicious meal at the restaurant. Their pomme frittes were incredible and our server, Nicole, was so friendly- Thank you for a memorable experience, Embassy. The conference I attended was easily accessed by the skyway, and that facility was beautiful too.

Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you room has a view of the atrium- some of them are around a corner.
1  Thank Tia1435
Robert H, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Embassy Suites North Charleston. With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are delighted to hear that we have met your expectations. As a valued guest, your feedback will be shared with the team to continue to inspire and motivate them to deliver exceptional customer service. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to North Charleston.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have visited Charleston many times and the accomodations have usually exceeded my expectations. I traveled with my sister on this visit, as she was attending a convention with pre-arrangements to stay at the Embassy Suites Airport. The rooms were dirty and out dated. There was a used, bloody bandage stuck to the bedskirt , stains in the toilet which I tried cleaning myself, the refrigerator handle was so sticky that I washed it with hand soap and a washrag from the bathroom, there was white "stuff" splattered on the headboard, there were large crumbs under the desk at check-in, the white bed cover was speckled with something..... I could go on and on. When my sister mentioned some of the housekeeping issues to a manager, he was sympathetic, but seemingly frustrated in that he knows cleanliness is an issue at this property. The decor was 1990's cheap.
Staying here was a huge disappointment. The hotel does not offer a shuttle to the Historic District. Seriously, what's the point of coming to Charleston if you're not going to spend any time the historic district?
The hotel had a big banner advertising that they proudly serve Starbucks Coffee which I never did find. The coffee at the breakfast buffet wasn't Starbuck's and neither were the coffee pods in the rooms. By the way, I believe the hotel description stated Kuerig's in every room. We had 2 rooms and there were no Kuerig's to be found.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
EmbNChas, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton North Charleston - Airport/Hotel & Convention, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear mmorrisey,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We pride ourselves on exceptional cleanliness and we obviously did not live up to that standard based on your experience in our Suite. Our housekeeping team is dedicated to ensuring that our hotel is clean and well-maintained. Please be assured that our Housekeeping Manager's frustration was simply disappointment regarding the issues with your room and not because of ongoing cleanliness issues. Our team takes cleanliness very seriously we are reviewing your comments to ensure this was an isolated instance.

With regard to downtown shuttle service, the hotel focuses on expeditious airport service for all hotel guests. We may not have done a good job of communicating to you about the daily downtown shuttle service provided by our Rapid Transit Authority, the NASH. This service provides round-trip shuttles every hour, seven days per week for only $3 each way and leaves from the Visitor's Center just across the street from the hotel.

We welcome the opportunity to serve you in the future and provide you with the experience you expect.

Regards,

Wade B

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I had booked and paid for a room with 2 queens. When we arrived, I was given a room with only 1 king bed. They then gave me a room with 2 full sized beds, because they claimed that this hotel had no queen beds anywhere! This was of course less than I had paid for. Breakfast consisted of powdered eggs and raw bacon, and a poor cook did not make the buffet very enjoyable. Staff was also not the most outgoing either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear peter w,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am sorry that your stay was not as enjoyable as you had expected. We do offer Suites with two double beds or one king bed and we do our absolute best to honor the bed type requested for every guest. There are instances when that cannot happen and this may have been the case with your reservation. Our goal is to provide a suitable alternative and make it right for you. It appears we did not do that sufficiently.

I am also sorry that you did not find our breakfast up to standards. Our breakfast scores are typically very high and receive high compliments. It would be our pleasure to have you as our guest again in the future and allow you to experience your stay as you envisioned. Please call on me personally should you wish to discuss your stay or make a reservation for the future.
Regards,
Wade B

Reviewed 18 March 2014

hotel needs a remodel. it is clean but old. Carpeting is dingy, cabinets and furniture reflect 1990's. Breakfast was wonderful, staff was great. Location was wonderful but it is not as nice at the Residence Inn down the street.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Close to the airport, this hotel features a skybridge on the second story that goes over to the convention center & performing arts center.Pro's: -Airport shuttle, -good room rate, -small but cozy room, -pretty good breakfast (pass on the synthetic juices and worst cup of coffee I've had in months) makes this a very convenient hotel for events at the Performing Arts Center.
-Lobby bar stayed open late after the event on the weekend which is fun for revelers but might tarnish your evening as the noise drifts up and is heard in the rooms.

Cons: no complimentary internet (not even for brand members)
-not being able to get my honors points when booked by a company
-skeleton staff at night makes late check-in take forever.

I would come back if I needed to be at this location, otherwise I'll head back into historic Charleston next time.