“Run down and over priced”

Courtyard North Charleston Airport/Coliseum
Ranked #29 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I have grown accustomed to the higher standards of the Marriott Hotel chain and their mid range hotels, but this Courtyard Marriott was a little too run down for the price at over $150/night (with tax). I could’ve stayed in a similar Hilton chain hotel for under $100/night, but I wanted to stay loyal to Marriott. The hotel lobby looked ok, but as soon as I opened the hotel room door I knew it was going to be bad. The design of the room was very narrow. Someone with a large suitcase would’ve had to lift it over the small refrigerator on the floor as there was only about a foot and a half of room between it and the wall. There is no kitchenette, no microwave and minimal comfort. The bathroom was ok but the counter space was very limited and overcrowded with the coffee maker and toiletries. The carpeting in the room was very old and discolored. The bed, couch and love seat were very old, beaten down and uncomfortable. The bed felt like there was no box spring under it. The room had an old tube set, not a flat screen. While the work space on the desk was small, the plug in internet was fast. The business center on ground level was very minimal and the computers did not have MS Office installed on them. To be fair, I overheard the hotel manager negotiating a contract with a carpet cleaning sales rep and she indicated that the hotel was scheduled to get a new Marriott full-upgrade in 2012 so they would have to limp through next year. As with most Marriott hotels, the breakfast is not free and the restaurant did not look very inviting. The hotel is equivalent to a bad Hampton Inn, but at least I got my Marriott points!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank 1travel4fun

Reviewed 23 October 2010

My fiance and I stayed at this hotel for the weekend. I have always been happy with Marriott hotels before this experience. We checked out on Sunday with no problems. Two days later I received an e-mail that stated that I had been charged an additional $150 for a pet fee. When I called the front desk to inquire about this charge, the person at the front desk did not answer any of my questions. She transferred me to the general manager's voicemail. The following afternoon, I had still not received a return phone call so I called the manager again. After some debate, the manager did refund my money; however, the way she handled it was unprofessional. I informed her that my fiance and I did not have a pet with us and we were the only people to enter our room that weekend. I also said that housekeeping cleaned our room on Saturday so if they had ever suspected that we had a pet, they should have confronted us. Ultimately, it came down to my word against the staff. I asked if they have a protocol for proving that you had a pet (pictures of pet hair or other evidence) and she said they did not. She said that "so many people were in and out of rooms that weekend and it was hard to keep track of who was where. Someone might have had an animal in the room even if it wasn't their room." (There was a concert on Friday and Saturday night at the Coliseum that is nearby and lots of guests were there for the shows). I informed her that my fiance and I were the only ones in the room aside from housekeeping on Saturday. She said that she trusts her staff but she would give me the benefit of the doubt. She then proceeded to say, "Just so you know for the future, there is a no pet and no smoking policy" and reads the policy to me in a condescending voice. It felt like she did not believe me and that she was trying to do me a favor. I voiced this frustration but we went in circles. I reminded her that she said "it was hard to keep track of who was coming and going" so it was likely that the housekeeper confused our room with a guest that did have an animal. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth. The manager talked to me like I was a child and I did not appreciate her tone during our conversation. I do appreciate that they refunded my money, although I had already disputed the charges with American Express and was not going to pay the fee regardless. I wish the staff had given me more respect. The person I spoke to initially took a very hands off approach by saying she wasn't working that day and did not have any answers to my concerns. I understand that she couldn't speak for the staff that worked the day we checked out but it would have relieved my anxiety a little if she had discussed some of the procedures with me since the manager was not able to talk to me at that time.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GApeach5
Reviewed 26 August 2010

There is nothing outstanding to tell about this hotel.
The rooms are ok. My TV didn't work properly, but the this is the only negative thing I have to mention about the rooms.
I was suprised, that the breakfast was not included. In fact, the service was really good.
Regarding the breafast itself - there is no big choice. Some fruits, eggs, falkes/wheat and some bakery. Thats it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 March 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard for one night after our cruise was delayed by a day. We chose this area because it was close to Tanger outlet .
We had originally inquired at the Hampton Inn but were told they had no more rooms and no one in the area had any rooms.
Well, that was not true because Marriott had rooms available as did the Sleep Inn.
We chose not to stay at SI but went to Marriott Courtyard instead.
We were able to get a room at a reasonable rate, I thought it would cost more because we did not have a reservation and it was later in the evening but that was not the case.

Our room was clean, spacious , and accommodating for our one night there.
There was popcorn available in the evening in the lobby , we did not eat it but it did smell great. The lobby area also had two computers with free internet access.
We ate at a Red Lobster that was within walking distance.

The breakfast had waffles, yogurt, juice, fruit, cereals, breads, and pastries.
The best part was the made to order eggs. The chef preparing the eggs did an excellent job. The waitresses were very efficient and made sure we had everything we needed.
I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2009

I thought i would stay at the courtyard, using my marriott reward points, One night stay, here for business, but decided to stay closer to Tanger for xmas shopping on the weekend. I didnt choose Residence Inn which is closer becuase i didnt need a kitchenette for one night. This Courtyard is located on THE OTHER side of the highway and is not within a close walking distance to Tanger as i thought. I do have a car, so its a short drive, however i would not suggest walking around this area at night alone. On the Safer side, the Charleston Police Department, shares the same parking lot near the hotel so that made me feel a little better.. The hotel itself is a older, no flat panel tv and no wi fi, but ethernet provided for fast lop on in rooms. Beds were comfey, i didnt have any loud noises from the walls or outside. The Bathtub drained slow ( i hate standing in a pool of water when i shower) and the coffee cups for the in room coffee maker was dirty. For one night, its, ok. but i agree as compared to other Courtyards, this one falls a little short.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I stayed here for a conference, mainly because I made my reservations too late to get a better hotel. Big mistake. This hotel is far from the conference center and is not nearly as nice as the other hotels in the area (Residence Inn, Embassy Suites, etc.). They don't offer an airport shuttle, so be sure to factor $9 each way to and from the airport into the price. The rooms are old looking and the hotel is plain. The other hotels in the area offer free food and beer during happy hour; the Courtyard offers the option of buying $2.00 cokes in the lobby.

They do offer free in-room internet, which is nice (and useful for writing TripAdvisor reviews!)

If you are visiting Charleston for fun and don't have a car, be aware that there is no good way to get downtown (other than taxis @ $20 each way).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank BuzzDR
Reviewed 21 August 2008

Like many others I booked this hotel because it was cheaper than the hotels in the downtown or Mt. Pleasant area. It was located just on the other side of the interstate from the Tanger Outlets which was a plus and maybe ten minutes from downtown Charleston. Overall this hotel served its purpose.

The hotel itself was very clean, offered coffee and ice water throughout the day. On the second day the front desk gave us great maps of the area and I was very impressed by the scrapbook of local eateries displaying menus and pictures for the entire area. The hotel website mentioned there would be interstate construction during the time period we were there, but while we saw them working, we didn't hear them. Also the nearby airport was not a problem. The bed was comfortable and overall it was a good stay. There was a small stain on the comforter, but we didn't use it since it was August. I was a little nervous about the surrounding areas, but all in all it felt safe.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple