“Does 'off season rate' mean a broken room and minimal housekeeping?”

Hyatt Place North Charleston
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
Reviewed 10 March 2014

During our five night stay at the Hyatt Place, we found the housekeeping staff and evening staff to do minimal work.This was our first time staying at a Hyatt. I was familiar with the name but never stayed at one of their hotels. I had high expectations which was my bad.
First off, my boyfriend and I did a lot of research when planning our South Carolina vacation. We were torn between two hotels: Hyatt Place and Staybridge Suites. Both hotels included the basics we like: free hot breakfast, indoor pool, fridge, microwave, king bed, free internet. The Hyatt Place was just a little more expensive than Staybridge (based on the special 'off season' rate offered by Hyatt) but according to the pictures on the web site, Hyatt had a hot tub too and that, for us, made the extra $$ worth it. Well we found out upon arrival, that this Hyatt did not have a hot tub. What a disappointment!
Once we got into our room, the disappointments and concerns continued. First off, the room was cramped. The space between wall and the furniture was narrow, making it difficult to navigate the luggage cart into the room. Then we noticed there was no microwave in our room. Again, the room description said there was a microwave. Next, there was a bottle of shampoo and conditioner on the shower floor. I can only assume they were left by the previous occupants, leaving me to question whether or not the room had been cleaned.
There was no shelf in the shower to hold shampoo and soap. I could clearly see where there use to be a shelf but apparently it broke off at some point and was not replaced. It was challenging balancing everything on the top of the shower door frame.
There was soap residue on the tray that holds/displays the bath goods on the sink. The tray was never cleaned, not once during our stay.
After seeing the bath items on the shower floor and the dirty tray, I hesitated to check the bed but finally did. Sure enough, there were hairs on the sheets!
Bath towels were replaced daily, except for one, which we hung up on the hook on the back of the shower door. This towel was never replaced. One can only assume the staff never looked behind the door.
We ran out of facial tissues in the room, so I called the front desk. The host told me she was the only one down there, she could grab a box for me, if I was willing to come downstairs to get them. Not a big deal but it is definitely a first! At other hotel chains, if we ran out of something or needed something extra the response has always been 'We will have that brought up to you right away'.
The hot breakfast was not so 'hot', more like lukewarm to cool. I will say they had a very good variety of breakfast offerings, just wish the hot items were a bit warmer and the cold items, like beverages, were colder.
We did visit the cafe/bar one evening for a nightcap. It almost seemed like we were bothering the host. He never smiled and did not attempt conversation, not even pleasantries.
So our first time at Hyatt was not the best. We signed up for the rewards program and have a free night coming to us. We will do our best to stay open to a much nicer stay next time around, at a different Hyatt. And if we visit South Carolina again, we will try out Staybridge Suites, which happened to be right next door to the Hyatt Place.

Room Tip: Don't take advantage of the 'off season' rate, I believe this rate is for select rooms t...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeannine G

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We are a family of 5 and had very comfortable room with 2 queen beds and sofa bed. A hot breakfast was included in our price. The staff was exceptional, very attentive, friendly and helpful. The kids enjoyed the pool and there was never anyone in the pool. The location is close to airport and easy drive Into the historic district, Mt Pleasant and most other tourist locations. Parking was free.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen M
Reviewed 5 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Wife and I stayed here for our anniversary this fall. Priced under $100, it was better than some 5 star places I've been, Comfortable couches, amazing bed! Service was exemplary, friendly, and quick. Helpful staff, clean rooms, great breakfast, and overall comfortable stay. I will be back!

Room Tip: Top floor was great!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HatterasDad
Jason B, General Manager at Hyatt Place North Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thanks for celebrating your Anniversary with us at the Hyatt Place North Charleston. We truly appreciate the five star ratings and the kind words about our clean hotel, professional staff members, complimentary breakfast, and comfortable beds. We are excited to hear that you are impressed with the Hyatt Place and hope to see you and your wife again soon.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Staff was great all around polite and respectful. It's not just a business to them it's more of them treating you like family. They have a 24hr food bar which was nice for me since I just drove 18 hours from Oklahoma. Rooms are spacious for lounging and sleeping which is a huge plus for me,I hate being crowded in a hotel room

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Alvino W

Dear Alvino W,

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Hyatt Place North Charleston, and especially for taking the time to write a review. You are correct in saying that our staff treat everyone as family. This is something that is very important to us! Having clean and comfortable rooms always helps as well. We pride ourselves in providing the best service possible. I hope you also took the time to enjoy our Complimentary breakfast / A.M. Skillet, my favorite is the Hyatt Signature sandwiches.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I read the reviews of others and was a bit worried about the customer service but let me tell you I was really impressed with the staff and the hotel. The check in was easy and the clerk was super nice. The room was spacious with room to just hang out if that's what you wanted to do. A nice basket of apples greeted you every day when you came in and the bar/food bar was a nice touch. Breakfast was good and the time adjusted for the weekend for the late sleeper. Overall it was a good experience. I would stay there again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sasparilla97

Dear Jusi D.;

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Place North Charleston. We sincerely appreciate that you have taken the time to write a review. It is comments like yours that make us strive even harder to provide the best experience possible for our guests. We are glad that we exceeded your expectations and hope that the next time you are in the area, you will give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I say there for a week from the moment we entered the hotel the receptionist greet us with a warm and friendly smile... we look at each other and smile by them we could tell we were going to have a grand time there. The decor was a wow!!! We love our room and we get fresh lining evey day... we stay im room 400 and we love the fact that its was a end room... I would definitely recommend this hotel. We enjoy our stay. C and S

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank seski_sim

Dear Seski_sim:

We appreciate that you have taken the time to write a review for our Hotel. At the Hyatt Place North Charleston, we strive to make our Guest's feel like they are at home. It is nice to hear that we succeeding in doing this for you.

We appreciate your positive comments. We are proud of our breakfast selection, especially our Hyatt Signature sandwich that is served daily. I, personally, enjoy our selection of yogurt, granola, and dried cranberries. We are pleased that you found our guest rooms comfortable. We sure hope to get another chance to serve you again in the future. Thank you again for taking time to give us your feedback.