“Gun shots in middle of night”

Masters Inn Charleston North
Ranked #55 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
“Gun shots in middle of night”
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

It is 4:30 am. Ive been up all night because staying at this hotel is scary. Ok so people actually live at this place. And the residents that live here, you don't want as your neighbors. They hang out all day and night outside ,beer bottles all over the place. Best of all is hearing gun shots. Rooms are disgusting. Walls have big holes in them. Tubes are molded. Chairs have so many stains on them that you cant tell original color!

• Stayed May 2012
7 Thank Rolab

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 14 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and it is not a palace but a good place to stay if you are on a budget. We had a king room and it does need some updating and the bed wasnt very comfortable. The room however was very clean and the linens were also clean. The front desk clerks were friendly and helpful when we needed them.

Please note that a lot of contractors do stay here but.we didnt have any issues with them. It was other guests at the hotel who were noisy.

Like I stated before, its not a palace but its worth it if you are looking for a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank fitz34
Ridgeland
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My wife and I were town for a couple of days and needed a affordable place to stay for 2 nights. The Masters Inn was affordable and looked decent from the outside. When we pulled up there was a police officer in his car in the parking lot which may have been a sign that this place has had issues in the past. Once we got into our room I went to the restroom and noticed a large used bandaid in the bath tub and also an old pair of men's underwear hanging on the back of the bathroom door which was itself was badly damaged and falling apart. How the maid who cleaned this room could have missed a large pair of men's underwear hanging from the bathroom door and a large used bandaid is beyond me. Also the sink was badly rusted and there were cockroaches in the room. A really awful place to stay and not worth the $45 per night we paid, not even close. Do not stay at this hotel unless cleanliness and sanitary and safe environment are important to you. We will never again stay at this hotel, I would rather sleep outside it would be cleaner.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank William S
Reviewed 13 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at this motel a couple of times while we were in college to have time together. This place is super dangerous. Drug dealers, prostitutes, fighting in the rooms parking lots, smelly rooms, nasty rooms. Do you get my point!?!? Spend the extra 40 bucks and find somewhere else. I can't belieNve this place is still open and feel super sorry for people who stop to stay by mistake.

• Stayed November 2011
8 Thank boomerangboom
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I frequent this hotel in different cities of sc and have never in my life been so disgusted. Me and my boyfriend needed a inexpensive place to stay for a weekend. They were cheap, but so disgusting. Our first room was like roach motel. We had so many roaches they literally carried us out the room. Called the front desk and the chick was so nasty. She finally gave us room #2, and the door wouldn't open...... Super mad this time bc I almost got attack by a taco bell dog with owners that really didn't care. Rm #3 was better, but the beds were extremely dangerous and dirty. The air conditioner was old as ever and u took pictures. Couldn't get a refund bc I pd with my credit card. Had to wait until that Monday to speak with Jessica the manager and she was nasty. This hotel needs to be condemn. I want to send off these pictures, but don't know who to send them too. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to dog. If you like drug activity, pimps, and roaches this is the perfect hotel for you....... I did get reimburse for 1 night after the fact.

• Stayed November 2011
8 Thank necia719
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I checked into this hotel in July 2010 and I wish I had went the other way. It was the only place I could find with availabilty with no reservations. It was 4th of July weekend and i saw more than I needed to see in the pool and I will leave that at that. The beds were horrible and the floor I didn't walk on bare footed at all. I wish I had not listened to the so called friend who recommened this place because it was horrible.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Zombz78
Brentwood, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Wow! Where do I begin? Even though I had read reviews beforehand, my mom & I were on a very tight budget, so I naively convinced myself "it can't be that bad." Boy, was I wrong. The outside of the hotel looks decent enough (in the daytime), but as soon as we walked in the room, we knew we had made a terrible mistake. However, we had booked for 6 days so we were stuck. The first thing that struck us was the moldy, mildewy smell of the room. Now for THE LIST of all the other things wrong w/the room: the carpet was absolutely gross & filthy. Stains everywhere...even though the carpet was a dark green, you could still see deep stains. We did not walk on the carpet in our bare feet, but rather socks. The socks were thrown out the next morning. Also, the carpet looked as though it hadn't been vacuummed in quite some time. The bedspreads were grimy. Totally gross & disgusting. Just sitting on them made me itch. The dresser, TV & top of the microwave were very dusty as if they, too, hadn't been cleaned in a while. The bathoom floor was dirty, as was the toilet (especially under the rim) & behind the door. The shower curtain had a huge hole right in the center. There was an ironing board, but no iron (even though there was a holder for the iron). Above my mom's bed was a fist-sized hole in the wall. One light did not work - despite the light bulb still in the socket. The corner by the door was stained brown (rust or mildew?). The curtain was filthy on both sides. The door did not have a secure lock - not even a chain lock. The table & 2 chairs were gross, especially the chairs - very grimy & dusty. The phonebook had several cigarette burns on the front cover. We literally were afraid to touch anything. The tub took 20 minutes to drain properly. On the very first day, my mom killed two small spiders. That same day, we drove to Wal-Mart & the dollar store & bought $20 worth of cleaning supplies - including a bath mat - and cleaned the entire room. We at least made it liveable. On the fourth day, I killed a baby roach on the wall by the sink (I did not tell my mom this until we were safely on the plane ride home because I knew she would've been really upset). Turns out she had found something, too - but didn't tell me until after we had checked out. She turned on the air conditioner & saw what looked to be tiny (mouse?) droppings in the vent. The hotel was also very lax on providing the basic amenities like toilet paper, kleenex, soap & towels. Every day we had to go to the front desk to ask for an extra set of towels. We never got a full extra set - washcloth, hand towel & bath towel. Usually, it was 1 out of 3 or, if were lucky, 2 out of 3. They were always "out of towels" or "only had 1 washcloth left." We got so tired of asking for soap & toilet paper that we ended up just buying our own. One day, we returned to the room to find that the maid - although surprisingly leaving us 2 washcloths - did NOT remove the wet, used towels on the floor in the bathroom NOR did she empty the two wastebaskets. How can housekeeping go into a room & not perform the basic tenets? Well, should we have really been that surprised? They don't clean properly, after all. I felt like telling the front desk the reason they "don't have any towels" is because housekeeping leaves the dirty, used ones on the floor instead of taking them to the laundry to wash them!!!! What laziness! One day, we were about to pull out in our car & we saw a maid stop her cart in front of a room. We purposedly watched her. Puffing on a cigarette & a cell phone in one hand, she walked into a room w/a plastic bag, came back out 2 minutes later w/no bag in hand & went to the next room. 2 whole minutes in a room. Did not take in any cleaning supplies, no towels, no vaccuum cleaner!!! Unbelievable. Despite all this, I still haven't told you the worst. I can't tell you what the sheets & pillows looked like because thankfully, we had brought some with us. We slept on top of our sheets the whole time - there was no way we were going to pull those grimy bedspreads over us. Well, now the worst - I sleep on my left side & always extend my left arm over & across the bed. I woke up the next day w/several red marks on my left arm & the left side of my forehead. At first, I thought maybe it was just a heat rash, but after the second day, about 20 more tiny bumps had erupted on my forearm & itched like crazy. It was so bad that I went to a "minute clinic" & was told they were bed bug bites! I was given an antihistimine & even though it's been a week later, the bites are still visible (although not as bad). Guest laundry was out of order all week as was the pool (although we probably wouldn't have swam anyway - who knew what was living in that water). VERY TERRIBLE HOTEL EXPERIENCE. VERY FILTHY, GROSS & DISGUSTING. INEXCUSABLE CONDITION. I've also sent a letter to the South Carolina Department of Health to report Masters Inn. My mom & I chalked it up to a learning experience. We will never stay below the level of at least a Holiday Inn again. Final grade for Masters Inn in Mount Pleasant, SC - F minus x 100!

Room Tip: You'd be better off sleeping in your car