“Not such a good stay this time around”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 April 2014

In the past, service and rooms were at a high level while staying at this site. This time it was at a very low level. For the two nights that we stayed we had to ask for soap each time. The second night we stayed, there was only one wash cloth. After spending two full days and nights as a volunteer at the Family Circle Cup, it was not pleasant to come to a room with no soap for two nights. Both instances were mentioned to the receptionist at the hotel desk. We did receive more wash cloths. As a priority club member, I expected better service, but being a member should not affect good service. Could it be because there was a different staff from our previous stays? Unfortunately, location, sleep quality, and the room rated average or above.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rg712
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Rhittie G,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center! I'm upset to hear that housekeeping service was not up to par with your last stay, and I do apologize. I will speak with our Executive Housekeeper about servicing stay over rooms. The level of service you received was unacceptable and again I apologize. I hope this does not deter you from coming back to the hotel. I want to thank you for being an IHG Rewards member with us, and I hope that you come back and visit us again! Please email me if you have any other questions or concerns! beads@lch-sc.com

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I travel a lot and stay in many different hotels so I think I can give a pretty good "THUMBS UP" to this property. While it is newer, it is definitely an upgrade to the "typical" HIExpress brand decor. (The photographs available for viewing, on the date of my stay, do represent the rooms accurately. I've had the pleasure of staying both in the "King Suite" and the "regular King-bed room".) What you see in the pictures is what you get.

Entry is very beautiful -- good upkeep done by the staff on keeping the entry clean and spotless on all of the times that I have come/gone day/night.

Just beyond the Reception/Registration Desk is the "business center", not the typical set-up, so it is a night break/change from the ordinary. Counter-top high desk with computers and printers.

Breakfast is the HIExpress breakfast. Overall very good. I've seen the comments others have posted about missing items from breakfast, hot vs cold. First, it is HIExpress and it does pretty much tell what the breakfast consists of. Secondly, the "buffet" will occasionally run out of an item as will any 5-star property that offers a meal (and I've stayed in them as well). So, when an item is out, take it for what it is worth. (And in my opinion, unless you have stayed at a particular property, one doesn't know if a certain item is offered all the time as it may not be or may just have run out. And if you know it has run out, well, then you know that it is a "normal" everyday event just like at your own home.)

Cleanliness has never been an issue with my rooms (or any of the HIExpress properties) for me. My room has always been cleaned to my standards. The only *personal* comment I'd make is regarding the lighting in the rooms. It's difficult to please everyone, but sometimes I'd like a little bit more light and these just don't always do it. Not sure how Management would fix it, but....

Bathrooms: I've had the "tub"; shower; slider doors; and my recent stays my rooms have been the "open" type shower meaning approximately 1/3 of the shower is open and the remaining 2/3 of the shower is closed by a stationary glass wall. Nice in the fact that you don't have to open/close or slide a shower door AND for me, as our home is an open shower "spa" I also do not have to step up/in/over for a shower into a tub. I enjoy this feature!

Bedding / Beds: Mine have always been very comfortable. My "king bed" rooms, my only personal so-called complaint is that I'm a pillow lover. I like pillows on the bed. The rooms I've been in all tend to have four pillows for the king bed. Personal opinion/taste... if I had my way, I would enjoy having six pillows on the bed, somewhat standard in other hotels that offer King beds (but the HIExpress brand seems to vary on this feature/count).

Area offers a lot of choices for food (across the street) to around the corner for a variety of tastes, prices, selections, and sit-down, eat-in, take away. The gamut of McDonalds, Panera Bread, Chili's, etc... Shopping is very close (minutes) to Tanger Outlets, Walmart, etc.

I've seen some comments/complaints from some regarding the noise. The rooms that I've had have all been very quiet. I do not believe I've heard noise from other rooms. The outside noise I've heard is from jets coming/going at the airport. True it can be loud, but this can't be a "property-controlled" issue, now can it! And, the airport is a shared airport with commercial airlines AND the Air Force and when one of those "big babies" from the USAF comes in, well you're gonna hear it and probably feel it if the clouds are lower!!!! My thought, just enjoy the view as you get an "up close and personal" view of the aircraft from the military!

Internet: Oh that is my one point of contention. I do not like it when I'm in hotels that have poor internet service. Sorry HIExpress, but this is where you loose a "circle/dot" from excellent to very good. The variety of rooms that I have stayed in at THIS property lead me to one conclusion. An upgrade on the wifi internet service is definitely in need of here, even with this being a fairly new property. I've come to conclude that the internet works best when you are near the doorway entry to your room. Many times, I've walked my laptop to the doorway to pick up the signal and then moved back to the desk area. My biggest pet-peeve! At times, it can be extremely slow. The walls of the rooms are perhaps a thick noise reducing or concrete feature which probably stops a "free-flowing" signal from bouncing around the property and into the rooms. Maybe routers need to be installed along the hallways and if they are, more frequently, to increase the signal speed. (To write this review, my signal has slowed and that is my biggest pet peeve about hotels. Sorry HIExpress.) If the internet was better, you'd have gotten an Excellent!

Overall, this is a very good property. Enjoy the stay and HOPEFULLY the wifi service is upgraded very soon!

Room Tip: All rooms are about equal -- just decide if you want the 2 queens or the king bed. No preference...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Joel H,

Thank you very much for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center. I appreciate all the comments you left on every aspect of the hotel!! That will not only help out other guests possibly staying with us, but it also gives the employees an idea of what we need to improve on and what we are doing well!! I do apologize for the internet connection. I am going to call our service provider and see what can be done to fix the internet connection speed. Thank you again for all of your comments, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We called the shuttle when we arrived at the airport and it came quickly. The driver was friendly and welcoming as was the staff when we arrived at the hotel. Ryan & Alex were great. Also another woman (sorry I didn't get your name!) who told us of the new express shuttle to downtown. The shuttle driver cheerfully gave us a ride to the visitors center. The room was clean & comfortable. We ate in the hotel. The server must have been in training but she did an all right job. The prices were a little high but the food was adequate.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
nicklaferte, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Thank you for the great review. We do offer a courtesy shuttle to anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the hotel and I'm glad to hear you were able to utilize it. I'm also glad to see you enjoyed the new and spacious room.
I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

We found this to be a great place to stay. Customer service was excellent, the rooms were clean and contemporary. No worries. We would definitely return to this hotel. It was easy on and off the highway; it was easy to find.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Chriscottrell2014,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center!! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and happy to hear that you will be back to visit! I hope that you had a wonderful weekend, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The hotel is close to the airport, downtown Charleston and several restaurants. It was clean, staffed, and is in a prime location. Further, the staff, especially Rian and Alex were extremely helpful and friendly during my stay. I couldn't ask for more from a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ronny C

Dear Ronny C,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I hope that you had a good weekend, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed three nights at this Holiday Inn. The staff is very friendly and helpful, this include the maid service, the front desk and the breakfast preparation staff. Our room was decent in size considering it contained two beds. There was a refrigerator in the room but no microwave. The breakfast was not bad; it usually had sausage patties, scrambled eggs, and sausage gravy with biscuits. On one morning there was some bacon, but it disappeared fast. The pastries are fresh and there were always fresh apples and bananas. The hotel proves a little of a challenge to get to coming from North I-26 as the exit for it is directly behind the one for the I-526 exit. It is a well marked exit as it is the exit for the Mall and the Outlet Mall. From the South I-26, it is and easy exit onto Montague. As a note if staying at the hotel if you which to turn left, you need to take the parking lot exit further from the traffic light. It is a quick 12 to 15 minute trip to downtown Charleston. It is close to the airport and next to the main road so if noise bothers you, you may not prefer it. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OrlandoMouse
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear OrlandoMouse,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center! I'm glad that you enjoyed your room, the breakfast, and our staff. I will pass along your comments to them!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was traveling alone with 4 children, 2 of which were infants and it would've been a struggle without my husband had I not have come here. Upon arrival they had my two cribs set up and helped my family and I get in and get settled! Blair was wonderful. Taking the babies downstairs for breakfast would've been difficult, but they allowed me to take the high chair to my room to feed my two boys. When my husband arrived at the airport the next day, all I had to do was let the front desk know his flight had landed and the shuttle picked him up...quickly! We were in town for the SC Elementary Schools Honor Choir performances and rehearsals. This stay could've been hectic, but I am forever grateful and thankful to all of the staff at this location, especially Blair for making it a breeze!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Angel1224
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear Angel1224,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center and for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor!! I'm very excited that you enjoyed our hotel amenities and staff!! We try and make each and every guests' stay a wonderful and memorable experience, so I am glad that we were able to do that for you and your family! I hope that y'all had a great time in the Charleston Area and that you will be back to visit again soon!! Have a wonderful week!!