“Great place to stay. Easy access to interstate, airport, outlets and downtown.”

Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in North Charleston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked this room and some concert tickets for my mom for Mother's Day. North Charleston is much cheaper for hotels than anywhere else closer to downtown Charleston, and the hotels at this particular exit are all pretty new. The location right next to I-26 is super convenient because you're right by the airport and outlet mall, and just a 10 minute drive to downtown where most of the attractions are. The airport is very close, and large jets DO fly over this hotel, but it is pretty quiet during sleeping hours (at least on the weekend), so it wasn't a nuisance to us. The only staff we really had any interaction with were at the front desk an the breakfast area, and all were great and seemed genuinely glad we were there.

The decor of the entire hotel is very new and modern (I believe the place is only a year or two old at the time of this writing), with plenty of seating in the very large lobby, as well as large TV's in there if you just want to hang out. There's a business center with a few computers and a printer. Didn't use it, so can't comment. There is a fairly small indoor pool, but it is indoors and that's not all that common to find in a hotel in this price range. There's also a nice fitness center that has personal TVs on each machine for your entertainment while working out. Worth noting that the fitness center has large floor to ceiling windows that look out into the indoor pool. That might be a plus if you want to work out while your kids swim, or it might not be a plus at all if you want to work out with some semblance of privacy.

The free breakfast at this hotel is absolutely awesome! Plenty of the normal fruits, cereal, coffees, juices and breads. But what takes it over the top is the abundant supply of HOT breakfast foods. Bacon, eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy and hot cinnamon rolls. A pancake maker is also available, though it wasn't working properly when we visited. Great selection and it was really good. Unlike other hotels, the person keeping the breakfast foods stocked was NOT the same person who also had to keep the dining room clean, so this helped in both keeping the food hot and fresh and also with keeping the dining area clean so there were always clean tables to choose from. I noticed while the guy cleaned the tables that he was very thorough, so that was great to see. He was also very friendly and responsive.

We had a room with two queen beds that were very comfortable. Also had a mini fridge in the room. Iron, ironing board and hairdryer that wasn't attached to the wall were nice additions. Bathroom was very clean and adequately stocked. The beds had some cool indirect accent lighting above the headboards, which was nice to keep the room lit when you were gone and returning after dark without leaving a bright lamp on. Reading lights on both sides of each bed were a nice touch. Would be nice if hotels put electrical outlets on BOTH sides of BOTH beds near the headboard. There were two outlets on the nightstand between beds, but none on the other sides of the beds. Both my parents sleep with a breathing machine, so this can prove rather difficult to have power at many hotels. The ONLY complaint I can come up with about the place was that we found some long hairs on both beds that clearly didn't belong to any of us. Nothing that overly bothered us, but if there was anything to complain about at all about this stay, that was the only thing.

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel on the two highest floors has pretty decent water views of a lakefront ap...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bdoug399
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear bdoug399,

Thank you very very much for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor! Your review was very detailed which helps us provide excellent customer service to you, our valued guest. I will speak with the Executive Housekeeper about the linen issue. I do apologize for the hair on the bed. We will get the issue taken care of for your next stay with us! Again, thank you so much for your very detailed review! It was awesome, and I hope that you will come back and stay with us! Have a wonderful week, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Kindest Regards!

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Customer service was outstanding! Shiquita the holiday Inn receptionist noticed we were overcharged for our stay and quickly remedied the situation to get us the correct rate. The suite was very clean and well kept. Will definitely recommend this hotel to family coming into visit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew M

Hi Andrew M,

Thank you very much for reviewing our property on the TripAdvisor website! I'm happy that Shiquita was able to get the correct rate for your stay! I will pass along the comment to her! I hope that you had a safe travel home, and we look forward to seeing you again soon at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center!

Kindest Regards!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

When we checked in my husband asked if we could have a free upgrade from a regular room to a suite. For free. They did it for us!
In addition, we had to turn in our rental car. They offered to pick us up at the car rental place (didn't need them to do that), but we did need them to drive us to a restaurant. They were very accommodating.
You receive good care at this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear seesthroughtheclouds,

Thank you very much for reviewing our property on the TripAdvisor website! I enjoyed reading your comments, and I will share them with our staff! I'm excited to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center! I hope that y'all had a safe travel home, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights while visiting family in the area. It was an easy drive to downtown Charleston and other areas. It is very close to the outlet malls and lots of restaurants. We throughly enjoyed using the indoor pool and jacuzzi. The.breakfastwas ordinary but adequate. Only recommendation is to ask for room facing the back of building and not the street. We will stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Grandma2012_2013,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center!! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our amenities, especially the indoor pool and jacuzzi! That area is my favorite part of our hotel! Next time you come to visit, we will make sure and reserve a room for you on the back side of the hotel, as it is quieter. Thanks again for staying with us! I hope you had a safe travel back home, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I was here for 4 nights for a business trip, everything was clean as a whistle and no problem with room service. breakfast was good. the only issue I had was the wifi was slow and sometimes went out and had to be restarted. the view was ok it is near a shopping center and on a busyhighway there is a very small body of water that is visible from the 4th floor that is pretty. all of the equipment (ac,tv,elevator,ice machine) is up to date the decor is very pretty well (modern motiff)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Stephen K,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center and for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor!! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the amenities and the Charleston area! I am disappointed about the Wi-Fi service you received. The hotel just upgraded Wi-Fi internet service, so there should not be a connectivity issue. I will call our Internet Service Provider and get them to do some speed tests because that is unacceptable. Thanks again for staying with us. I hope that you had a safe travel home, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Wish I could have given this property a 5, but their internet was so slow, it was virtually impossible to do any searching. That being said, the rooms were clean, bed was comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful. The shuttle to and from the airport was extremely reliable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear debbieinsc2013,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center! I do apologize for the internet connection being slow. We just upgraded our service, so I will contact our service representative immediately to come out and look at the wireless connectivity. I'm glad that you enjoyed the beds, staff, and shuttle service. I hope that you had a safe travel home, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!! Have a wonderful weekend!!

Reviewed 15 April 2014

In the past, service and rooms were at a high level while staying at this site. This time it was at a very low level. For the two nights that we stayed we had to ask for soap each time. The second night we stayed, there was only one wash cloth. After spending two full days and nights as a volunteer at the Family Circle Cup, it was not pleasant to come to a room with no soap for two nights. Both instances were mentioned to the receptionist at the hotel desk. We did receive more wash cloths. As a priority club member, I expected better service, but being a member should not affect good service. Could it be because there was a different staff from our previous stays? Unfortunately, location, sleep quality, and the room rated average or above.

1  Thank rg712
Blair E, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express and Suites Charleston Airport and Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Rhittie G,

Thank you for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor and for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Charleston Airport & Convention Center! I'm upset to hear that housekeeping service was not up to par with your last stay, and I do apologize. I will speak with our Executive Housekeeper about servicing stay over rooms. The level of service you received was unacceptable and again I apologize. I hope this does not deter you from coming back to the hotel. I want to thank you for being an IHG Rewards member with us, and I hope that you come back and visit us again! Please email me if you have any other questions or concerns! beads@lch-sc.com