“New manager, much better than the last one.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InTown Suites Charleston Central

InTown Suites Charleston Central
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in North Charleston
InTown Suites Charleston Central
Ranked #44 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
“New manager, much better than the last one.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have been staying here for a few weeks on business . It is older hotel but worth the money for short stay. The NEw manager has been doing much improvement around the hotel with better standard of cleaning, staff, and much needed improvements. This is the only place I have stayed were they have a person walking around at night doing rounds keeping the residents safe. They enforce the rules to keep all the trash (druggies) out. When I come back to town for business I will come back here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

InTown Suites' unofficial motto seems to be "We do [whatever] to keep our prices low." At this location, they seem to keep prices low by not maintaining the property in any way. In my room, the toilet leaked, the handle kept falling off the tap in the shower, one of the stove burners barely worked, the carpet wasn't particularly clean, and someone had intentionally installed the wrong striker plate on the door for the lock (it wasn't just shifted--it blocked half the deadbolt!), leading to a non-functional deadbolt. The security catch wasn't much better--it was held on by one screw and would definitely have popped out had anyone tried to force the door. Free internet is worth what you pay for it--it's about dialup speed.

My room came with a cockroach trap in the kitchen, so I got to check out what kind of bugs live with me--surprisingly there wasn't much on the trap, but the plastic-covered pillows and mattress lead me to believe this location has had serious insect problems. Whatever bit me while I was sleeping also leads me in that direction. They don't look like bed bug bites, but given that my toes got bitten it must have happened while I was in bed. I've gotten fewer bug bites spending the night in the woods in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

This location also has no non-smoking rooms (despite the "no smoking" signs on the doors, which evidently cost too much to remove--the manager actually told me this) and seems to be popular with chain smokers. Lovely.

Most of the other guests seemed to be construction workers from neighboring states. They all seemed fine to me. I didn't see any evidence of prostitution or drug dealing, but I did see the North Charleston PD swing through the parking lot on patrol on a very regular basis.

The hotel's target market definitely includes people who've gotten evicted from their apartments, and the "rule book" they give you at check-in is pretty funny. No walking around shirtless, no drinking in the parking lot, no leaving kids alone in the room, no guns (this is literally the only hotel I've stayed at that has *ever* had that policy, and I'm sure it's ignored--I did), etc. It would suck to be stuck here for a monthly rent that would actually get you two one-bedroom apartments or an entire house in this part of town.

On the plus side, I stayed here for my first week of a new job while looking for a 'real' place to live. Staying here meant I was VERY motivated to find a place. Also, it's across the street from an outlet mall and within ~3 blocks of a Walmart and all manner of places to get a cheap meal (Chick-Fil-A, Panda Express, Panera, Cici's Pizza, etc.).

The short version: this hotel is falling apart at the seams. Unless this is literally all you can afford, stay elsewhere. I'll sleep in my car before I spend another week here.

Room Tip: Top floor is always quieter, but sleeping in a freeway median would be quieter than staying here.