“Great room great staff bigotry from general manager” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Charleston - Airport / Coliseum

Hampton Inn Charleston - Airport / Coliseum
Ranked #23 of 58 Hotels in North Charleston
Meriden, Connecticut
“Great room great staff bigotry from general manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Every spring my wife and I travel from CT to meet with her sister and brother in law. This year we chose Charleston. The hotel itself was great. We were checked in by Tiffany and Scott. They were wonderful friendly and outgoing. They went out of their way to make sure we had a nice place for dinner. On Saturday I was hanging out in the lobby while everyone was napping. The lady working the front desk got a call and said that an employees son was just shot. I could hear another employee yelling at the poor girl for announcing it outloud about the call she got although Hattie the manager immediately asked what the call was about. Later that day (well after check in time) my wife and I were walking from the room to the elevator to go out and I saw Scott ask the manager Hattie if a room was ready. She stated to him that they needed to calm down about rooms. She didn't care if it was after 3pm she said these people are just going to have to wait. As a guest in a hotel she's charged with managing I don't appreciate being called these people.
On Sunday I went up to the 3rd floor looking for a snack machine. It was about 5 or 6pm. Hattie was in a room with another African American employee. I heard him ask if Scott was the new guy. I heard Hattie reply that he didn't need to worry about Scott no more because she was firing his sorry white tail. I went downstairs about 9pm and asked to see Scott and Tiffany said he was no longer there. On Monday morning I asked Hattie when Scott was coming in and she said to me in a crowded breakfast area that she fired him. That is all the information I needed. I know she fired him based on his race based on what I overheard. I have contacted the SC Labor Board and reported her for discrimination and I also contacted hilton corporate offices.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TJMCKA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend this hotel. The staff is very friendly and all of my questions were thoroughly answered.

Upon arriving in our room, we got a courtesy phone call from the front desk asking if we were satisfied with our room. The room was perfectly clean and had all of the necessary appliances.

The location is perfect-- close to shopping, the beach, and downtown Charleston. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Scott M, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Charleston - Airport / Coliseum, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thank you for visiting with us at The Hampton Inn Charleston Airport. We appreciate your kind words and I am thrilled that our staff gave you a warm welcome. I hope that you will keep us in mind whenever you return to Charleston next time. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Scott W. McDonald, CHS
Guest Services Manager
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

The hotel was clean and well laid out. The staff were helpful. Check in and check out was quick. The rate was correct and were no hidden fees. The distance to downtown was far but I knew this coming in. I had no problems.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

the airport Hampton Inn, being right off rte 26 gives you excellent access to the historic district without paying the high historic district hotel prices. I drove in to the historic district and parked in the lot next to the Hampton Inn on Meeting Street and was within walking distance of all of downtown, including the College of Charleston, King Street shopping, the Aquarium, the Battery and everything in between. Afterwards a simple drive back to the airport Hampton Inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Michael K
Simpsonville, SC, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great location for downtown experiences, shopping, or just leisure. Room was very nice, comfortable, etc,.. Hotel staff was helpful. Only a few small annoyances, like lines at the waffle iron, breakfast ended right at 10 even though people were waiting to get their breakfast.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Ridgefield, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for four night while visiting Charleston. The location of the hotel is really great, close to resturants, the outlets and highway that goes directly into downtown. I felt safe and comfortable in this location. Overall, the hotel was pretty clean and smelled nice but it was small. I felt like the breakfast area and seating area was small espcially since our hotel was full all four nights of our stay. The rooms were smaller than what we usually stay in but the rooms were clean which was more important to us than the size. There was no refridgerator which was a bit frustrating since we brought food and drinks to keep with us in the room. Overall, I would stay here again for its location to the city and price of room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Nice room - great lighting - excellent mattress - large bath - all good stuff. But the Southern Hospitality from the staff exceeded the room amenities. the ladies at the desk were simply the best!

Despite being near the airport - only heard one plane.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewillDB
Thank you for your review of The Hampton Inn Charleston Airport. We highly value your opinion. I am so happy to learn that our staff gave you a taste of true "Southern Hospitality." Plase keep us in mind when you return to our area and we will be happy to welcome you back!

Scott W. McDonald, CHS